• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023 General Discussion

Hoosier

Duluth broke its Dec snowfall record just barely. Here's the top 10 list. 6 of the 10 are in the last 20 years. 2015/19/21 are in the 14/12/13 positions respectively. Very snowy Dec's.

2022 44.9"

1950 44.3"

1996 42.2"

2013 39.9"

1969 38.8"

1968 37.7"

2008 37.1"

2007 35.4"

2005 34.5"

2009 33.4"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Brian D said:

This next system will only bring 1-3" of snow for me this time around. NE winds might allow some light LES in the mix, so we'll see how the lake responds.

Just looking at temps on Wed into Thurs am (turning quite negative) with surface winds, and 850 winds running E/NE to NE, I'd say a LES event is possible along the head of the lake. Twin Ports (Duluth/Superior) may do well. Maybe even myself. But then as winds start to calm, and turn more to the south as another CA front goes by north of me, that should send it up my way more, and the north shore in general for Thurs night possibly. It would be short tho as 850's become more SW to W, and surface winds respond in kind. Just an interesting look at a possibility. 

3 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

All-Time Jan records map, I didn't know Windsor's records go back to 1870s. That may mean there has never been a 20C+ reading in SON since the beginning of records for the month of Jan.

Alltimejan Record Highs Map.jpg

I'm not sure how far Windsor's records go back, but I do know that a huge warm spell hit the region from December 31, 1875 to January 2, 1876. It was the definition of irony in that 1875 was and still stands as by far the coldest year on record. It was unusually cold the entire year, then we get some crazy warm up on the last day of the year.  My guess is that 19.4C (67°) at Windsor was Jan 1, 1876.  Detroit hit 65 on December 31st, January 1st and 62 on January 2nd.  Detroit's warmest January temperature is also 67゚, but that was set to January 25, 1950. Ann Arbor recorded 72 on that day. If anyone in Canada managed to hit 20C it would likely have been Jan 25, 1950.

• Thanks 3

Originally it was looking very warm tomorrow in almost all of northern IL, but man, trends aren't looking good for that now.  The surface low is pretty far west during the day and on a weakening trend with time, so the warm front doesn't get a decisive push northward through the area.  This setup screams of a large temperature gradient setting up, reinforced by a cold Lake Michigan.  A little tricky to get too specific but there is a plausible scenario where O'Hare doesn't get out of the 40s and it's like 65 here or just south of here.  In any case, expect a large temperature gradient in the LOT cwa tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

MSP gonna cross the 40" threshold before here & ORD gets to 5" lol.

As bad (good) as those stats are for ORD (MSP), seasonal snowfall totals usually make things look better than they actually are...especially down here in the tropics.  Nothing against anyone in particular, but I wish people would stop focusing on seasonal snowfall amounts. Buffalo is a perfect example.  They've had 100+ inches of snow this season, but essentially zero snow cover right now.  Even I would admit they've had a decent winter so far...but I would be furious if I lived there, seeing so much snow melt twice in the past 6 weeks.  You'd think Watertown would be saved from the melting, being further north than Buffalo...but not really.  No one is exempt from melting these days (no pun intended).

The main takeaway is that ORD hasn't had more than 1" of snow on the ground all winter, and MKE hasn't had more than 2".  And even then, the # of days with even this paltry amount of snow cover has been minimal. 

All of this will probably remain true through January 10th and possibly beyond.     

I was just in central WI (near Waupaca) for New Years, and they barely have any snow on the ground...and it was near 40F there yesterday.  

This is all ridiculous and unacceptable.  Last I checked, we don't live in Atlanta.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Looking like 1-2” of rain with temps in the low 60s here tomorrow. I know it’s not snow but pretty anomalous for this time of year, wouldn’t be shocked to even have some rumbles of thunder. Other than that looks like a pretty dreary stretch until this pattern breaks

70 and sunny here in Charleston. Palm trees lookin' good.

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

As bad (good) as those stats are for ORD (MSP), seasonal snowfall totals usually make things look better than they actually are...especially down here in the tropics.  Nothing against anyone in particular, but I wish people would stop focusing on seasonal snowfall amounts. Buffalo is a perfect example.  They've had 100+ inches of snow this season, but essentially zero snow cover right now.  Even I would admit they've had a decent winter so far...but I would be furious if I lived there, seeing so much snow melt twice in the past 6 weeks.  You'd think Watertown would be saved from the melting, being further north than Buffalo...but not really.  No one is exempt from melting these days (no pun intended).

The main takeaway is that ORD hasn't had more than 1" of snow on the ground all winter, and MKE hasn't had more than 2".  And even then, the # of days with even this paltry amount of snow cover has been minimal. 

I was just in central WI (near Waupaca) for New Years, and they barely have any snow on the ground...and it was near 40F there yesterday.  

This is all ridiculous and unacceptable.  Last I checked, we don't live in Atlanta.

I didn't realize the Buffalo pack got nuked so quickly, but yeah, only 2" depth as of today.  

5 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Beavis complaining during the winter months; a tradition unlike any other. 

but for real, extended is hot garbage 

1 hour ago, hardypalmguy said:

Palm weather is the best weather.

Yup, glad i'm finally back home.

While the big storm failed in Lansing, we did way over achieve on the snow. But as always, it got warm enough to melt it all off within a few days. Gotta live in the upper lake to have decent climo. Lansing's average high in january is 29F, so a +5 departure is 34 which is just as likely as a 24F.

• Like 1

After the the big blizz, it's been incredibly mild and boring in the weather dept up here.  Finally going to see some snow that'll come in 2 rounds. First one starting later today through tonight, then Wednesday afternoon through the evening.  Should wind up with somewhere around a foot of wet snow to add to the 17 inches of hard-pack otg.

Hi-res models want to squeeze out closer to 20 inches before all is said and done... likely overdone, but wouldn't shock me either.

I definitely feel for all you snow lovers who are barely on the map this year.  I hope Mother Nature will deliver at some point this winter.

ndfd_48hsnow.us_mw.thumb.png.0f612679cdfdd0fe640b6728c574bc9d.png

• Thanks 1