Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023

wdrag

33 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

32⁰ with light snow falling.  Snow has gotten a little heavier and there is a light coating on unpaved surfaced.  Judging from radar, we are about to avoid a January shutout.  It's the little things in life... 

it's that fake 31st day again that should be in February.

Glad to see the all time January warmth record now belongs to 2023 though.

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

it's that fake 31st day again that should be in February.

Glad to see the all time January warmth record now belongs to 2023 though.

There are several months with 31 days, how is that fake? 

And it's not good that we beat the record. With February likely being very warm too the ecological damage could be significant. 

Two cold days can't change how warm its been 

six-leaf-index-anomaly.thumb.png.85e8736c59ec891b4ddd16b670205129.png

• Like 1

Not going to post CoCoRaHs reports .. you're welcome to do so. Basically 0.1-0.7" entire I84 corridor per all the reports received as of about 8AM. Mostly melt on pavement lower elevations but some slippery areas in the hills. 12z HRRR continues to look minor interesting midnight tonight to 8AM Wednesday BWI-PHL-NYC and I84 I78 corridors. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

There are several months with 31 days, how is that fake? 

And it's not good that we beat the record. With February likely being very warm too the ecological damage could be significant. 

Because they shortchange February with 28....we talked about this a few nights ago, there should be more even distribution of days across months you could have every alternate month with 31 or a 30-31-30 for each 3 month block...there are several calendars that fix this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Not going to post CoCoRaHs reports .. you're welcome to do so. Basically 0.1-0.7" entire I84 corridor per all the reports received as of about 8AM. Mostly melt on pavement lower elevations but some slippery areas in the hills. 12z HRRR continues to look minor interesting midnight tonight to 8AM Wednesday BWI-PHL-NYC and I84 I78 corridors. 

Early tomorrow morning sounds better than this morning, everything is too warm and even if any snow had fallen here (which it didn't) nothing would have stuck.

Didn't even see rain here, looks like it was all drizzle.

20 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

We will be making the move to Orange County in the next year.

Yes I know the commute to NYC is long but I am willing to do it.

If you take the bus from Woodbury Common in Central Valley or any of the Park and rides in Harriman or Monroe it gets you to the Port Authority 42nd and 8th in an hour during rush hour. I use to do it all the time.

Until the 7.6 inches that is this winter so far, my worst winter up here has been 23.4, I've averaged 53 inches a year in the last 20 years I've been keeping records. Have had several seasons near or above 100, 93/94 95/96 and 2002/03

If you can look for elevation 500 feet and above, which is easy to do in Orange County as long as you avoid the towns right on the river. Don't buy south facing property if you want your front yard to retain snow pack for the maximum amount of days. All essentials for any snow weenie. You won't regret it.

• Like 4

Records

Highs:

EWR: 64 (1947)
NYC: 63 (1947)
LGA: 61 (1974)

Lows:
EWR: 1 (1948)
NYC: -1 (1920)
LGA: 2 (1948)

Historical:

1966 - A blizzard struck the northeastern U.S. When the storm came to an end, twenty inches of snow covered the ground at Washington D.C. (David Ludlum)

WOW:

1911 - Tamarack, CA, was without snow the first eight days of the month, but by the end of January had been buried under 390 inches of snow, a record monthly total for the U.S. (The Weather Channel)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SACRUS said:

Records

Highs:

EWR: 64 (1947)
NYC: 63 (1947)
LGA: 61 (1974)

Lows:
EWR: 1 (1948)
NYC: -1 (1920)
LGA: 2 (1948)

Historical:

1966 - A blizzard struck the northeastern U.S. When the storm came to an end, twenty inches of snow covered the ground at Washington D.C. (David Ludlum)

WOW:

1911 - Tamarack, CA, was without snow the first eight days of the month, but by the end of January had been buried under 390 inches of snow, a record monthly total for the U.S. (The Weather Channel)

I knew winter 1965-66 had way more snow to our south....

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I knew winter 1965-66 had way more snow to our south....

That storm was mainly Jan 27-30 and gave our are 6 - 10 inches.   Upstate NY (Oswego) had over 100 inches.

"

The storm began as a nor'easter, which affected the New York City metro area and was followed by heavy "wraparound" lake effect snows. Winds were more than 60 miles per hour (97 km/h) during the storm, and at Fair Haven, New York they are believed to have exceeded 100 miles per hour (160 km/h). The snow was badly drifted and roads and schools closed as long as a week. Drifts covered entire 2 story houses.

A total of 103 inches (260 cm) of snow was recorded at Oswego, 50 inches (130 cm) of this falling on the last day of the storm alone.[7] 50 inches (130 cm) of snow were also recorded at Camden, New York on the same day. This was the largest single day snowfall in New York history.[8] The last day of the blizzard the winds subsided and snowburst conditions prevailed, with the snow falling straight down. Fair Haven did not have official snowfall records at the time, but state troopers reported measuring 100 inches (250 cm) of snow on the level, where none had been prior to the storm. Syracuse, New York received a record snowfall of 42.3 inches (107 cm) which remained their heaviest storm on record, until the Blizzard of 1993.[7]

The storm lasted from January 27 to January 31, 1966, a total of 4½ days. The daily snowfall totals for Oswego are as follows.

January 27, 1966: 8 inches (20 cm)

January 28, 1966: 12 inches (30 cm)

January 29, 1966: 11 inches (28 cm)

January 30, 1966: 21 inches (53 cm)

January 31, 1966: 50 inches (130 cm)

On January 22–23 of 1966, the city of Batavia and Genesee County had 2 feet (61 cm) of snow fall on that Saturday night alone. The only thing that prevented that snowstorm from becoming a true blizzard like this infamous one of the very next weekend was the lack of high winds.[7]":

https://www.localsyr.com/weather/storm-team-headlines/do-you-remember-the-blizzard-of-1966-it-was-over-50-years-ago-this-weekend/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

That storm was mainly Jan 27-30 and gave our are 6 - 10 inches.   Upstate NY (Oswego) had over 100 inches.

"

The storm began as a nor'easter, which affected the New York City metro area and was followed by heavy "wraparound" lake effect snows. Winds were more than 60 miles per hour (97 km/h) during the storm, and at Fair Haven, New York they are believed to have exceeded 100 miles per hour (160 km/h). The snow was badly drifted and roads and schools closed as long as a week. Drifts covered entire 2 story houses.

A total of 103 inches (260 cm) of snow was recorded at Oswego, 50 inches (130 cm) of this falling on the last day of the storm alone.[7] 50 inches (130 cm) of snow were also recorded at Camden, New York on the same day. This was the largest single day snowfall in New York history.[8] The last day of the blizzard the winds subsided and snowburst conditions prevailed, with the snow falling straight down. Fair Haven did not have official snowfall records at the time, but state troopers reported measuring 100 inches (250 cm) of snow on the level, where none had been prior to the storm. Syracuse, New York received a record snowfall of 42.3 inches (107 cm) which remained their heaviest storm on record, until the Blizzard of 1993.[7]

The storm lasted from January 27 to January 31, 1966, a total of 4½ days. The daily snowfall totals for Oswego are as follows.

January 27, 1966: 8 inches (20 cm)

January 28, 1966: 12 inches (30 cm)

January 29, 1966: 11 inches (28 cm)

January 30, 1966: 21 inches (53 cm)

January 31, 1966: 50 inches (130 cm)

On January 22–23 of 1966, the city of Batavia and Genesee County had 2 feet (61 cm) of snow fall on that Saturday night alone. The only thing that prevented that snowstorm from becoming a true blizzard like this infamous one of the very next weekend was the lack of high winds.[7]":

https://www.localsyr.com/weather/storm-team-headlines/do-you-remember-the-blizzard-of-1966-it-was-over-50-years-ago-this-weekend/

Thanks Tony-- so during the noreaster phase of the storm the heaviest snow was to our south (with DC getting 20 inches) and during the wrap around part of the storm, the heaviest snows were upstate?

2 minutes ago, vegan_edible said:

literally insane how terrible this winter is going. im really hoping we either get one bomb storm late feb to even it out or we get something REALLY good next year... 

There’s a coastal on the GFS with a reasonably good track; it’s rain up to coastal Maine. 

The thermals are a problem for everything this year. 

• Like 1

Just now, MANDA said:

Trace of snow here on coldest surfaces only.  Pavement and concrete just wet.  Started as rain showers in the hours around mid-night.  Total melted =.03".  Total January snowfall = 1.80" and season to date = 5.80". :thumbsdown:

You're doing better than most. Literally have 0 snow. And I only saw snow in the air 2-3 times 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic