Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023

wdrag

2 hours ago, the_other_guy said:

Of course we broke the record for warmest January! It is simple math and was obvious for a while now.

like a suspenseful drum roll over last week! It is already 44F in CPK. 

Next record will be the 0.0. That will happen too!

My thermometer says it's almost 60 lmao but it shows how strong the sun is right now, I have it on the north side.

15 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

Liberty Bell and anyone else interested in pre-1869 NYC weather, some indication of weather patterns could be gained from reading the daily meteorological journal of Alexis Caswell in Providence RI (it extends from about 1831 to 1860). He was more or less one of the main founders of American meteorology through the Smithsonian Institution who have preserved his journals. 

You can read a bit about him at wikipedia, I noted that he was born on today's date in 1799 and died in January of 1877. 

I attempted to post a link to the weather journal. For some reason the software here will not accept the link (possibly because there's a google.ca domain?) ... anyway, try going through the wikipedia article as the link there works for me (it's at the bottom of the text identified as Smithsonian blah blah ...)  I intended to set it at Jan 1857 because that month had some severe cold that was accompanied by strong northwest winds, Toronto fell a bit lower than his -14 F reading (to -22 F) but I would imagine NYC was in that ball park too. Also his three daily readings do not necessarily capture extremes and sometimes he made notes of those in the marginal comments. 

This is the link I have, perhaps if you block copy it and try it directly, it might work.

http://www.books.google.ca/books?id=oYY_AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA143&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

Possibly a U.S. based wikipedia user will get a different link to the journal. If anyone succeeds in opening it could you post the link that works? This link works for me as supplied but not as copied. 

Thanks I'll look into this!

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

I don't have the actual stats but Don might.

New York City's February snowfall data by MJO Phase. Underrepresented means that the percentage of days for an MJO phase is less than 80% of climatology; overrepresented means that the percentage of days for an MJO phase is more than 120% of climatology.

image.jpeg.67c9e7888b12e492d6dfed6a18e11f79.jpeg

image.jpeg.efb67278741ac948bb31586537c82356.jpeg

image.jpeg.e76f4e469a0dad82f016258e915921c2.jpeg

image.png.9893848d9891816dc8798dab5c583dd0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The GEFS has trended north, with most ensembles showing a period of snow on Wednesday. Temperatures would likely be cool enough to break our snowless streak in Central Park. 
7D8750DD-1A98-4515-BF39-C0204A7F7495.png.f13ec396ad678fdd96146dd54900657b.png
5805D361-15A7-490A-8765-56AC366A62F3.png.19eaba4940ed20464e02d4e5f6e28b3c.png

Provided Central Park decides to measure. Something they are notoriously horrible at. During significant snowfalls they usually come in low, and under one inch events which they sometimes don’t even bother with.

Because of the Significance of getting a 10th of an inch of snow to end the streak I would hope they would be more conscious Wednesday should anything fall.

8 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Provided Central Park decides to measure. Something they are notoriously horrible at. During significant snowfalls they usually come in low, and under one inch events which they sometimes don’t even bother with.

Because of the Significance of getting a 10th of an inch of snow to end the streak I would hope they would be more conscious Wednesday should anything fall.

It’s funny… airlines on the verge of going out of business, always have the best on-time rate. 

Believe me, if it falls, they will measure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mannynyc said:

The GEFS has trended north, with most ensembles showing a period of snow on Wednesday. Temperatures would likely be cool enough to break our snowless streak in Central Park. 

7D8750DD-1A98-4515-BF39-C0204A7F7495.png

5805D361-15A7-490A-8765-56AC366A62F3.png

None of the OP runs of any model have anything on Wed currently. I get something could still develop but I'm not feeling too optimistic about anything on Wed given we are two days out. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

None of the OP runs of any model have anything on Wed currently. I get something could still develop but I'm not feeling too optimistic about anything on Wed given we are two days out. 

The Euro still wants no part of it really...it would be quite the epic fail at this range even for it to miss a 1 inch snow event 

Records

Highs:

EWR: 66 (2013. 2006)
NYC: 64 (2006)
LGA: 63 (2006)

Lows:

EWR: 3 (1935)
NYC: 2 (1873)
LGA: 4 (1948)

Historical: 

1987 - A winter storm brought more heavy snow to the North Atlantic Coast Region, with 13.6 inches reported at Hiram ME. January proved to be the snowiest of record for much of Massachusetts. Worcester MA reported an all-time monthly record of 46.8 inches of snow. (National Weather Summary)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

One of the things many forgot this year is NYC likely did get measurable snow that day in December where EWR/LGA reported it, so this is somewhat of a bogus record 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Honestly that record is so close now might as well get it.

Although I am VERY suspicious of that 332 day record

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

One of the things many forgot this year is NYC likely did get measurable snow that day in December where EWR/LGA reported it, so this is somewhat of a bogus record 

The 332 day record is probably even more bogus

JFK measured a T in December and here on the south shore I think it was closer to 0.5 lol

• Rjay unpinned this topic