Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 2023

wdrag

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

That didn't just hit them that hit New York City and points east too.  A foot of snow from Brooklyn on east.  That was our one snowstorm last season.

5 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

May be an unpopular sentiment in today's day and age, but give the kids a damn break. They study / work hard enough in school, let them have a couple days per winter where they get to stay home and go outside with their friends and family.

Being able to have classes at home is a tremendous advancement, but it can be taken too far IMHO.

It's not a break; the days all have to be made up. I taught in 94 and went right through to June 30 without a break because Gov Whitman in her infinite wisdom threatened to withhold funding if we didn't. By holding classes online for half day it counts and doesn't have to be made up. If days are built in and not used ( as often happened in the 90's ) then school let out a few days earlier or days were added to spring break. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Looks like la nina is the normal base state of the Pacific Ocean

Well, from the research I've read. It cycles. On many different timescales too. So you can have a la nina cycle like that where it's more heavily biased la nina. But that alternates too. Some periods are an El nino cycle instead where it's biased in that direction. There's 10 year cycles, 100 year cycles, plus others have been discussed. You still get both types during either cycle. That one is a stark example though. I just wonder how these differences play into how the atmosphere responds. I'm sure it makes at least some difference somehow. I also wonder if you could get some absolute monster events when these cycles line up just right. 

• Like 2

there is no such thing as "future" radar, it's just another highly imperfect computer simulation.

I don’t anyone here thinks that future radar is anything other than a computer simulation. I just can’t believe how bad it is. It’s not like it’s forecasting days away it’s literally simulating what will most likely happen maybe 5 hours in advance and it can’t even do that.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

There were at least two monster storms that hit just them.

Well we don't have to worry about that this year LOL. My neighbor is a limo driver and he was saying thanks be to God for this winter. Most people just don't care that it's abnormal, they just hate snow.Me, I hate cold and damp....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Well, from the research I've read. It cycles. On many different timescales too. So you can have a la nina cycle like that where it's more heavily biased la nina. But that alternates too. Some periods are an El nino cycle instead where it's biased in that direction. There's 10 year cycles, 100 year cycles, plus others have been discussed. You still get both types during either cycle. That one is a stark example though. I just wonder how these differences play into how the atmosphere responds. I'm sure it makes at least some difference somehow. I also wonder if you could get some absolute monster events when these cycles line up just right. 

I wonder why we don't have multi year el ninos, at least triple year el ninos are unheardof in the modern record

Just now, weatherpruf said:

Well we don't have to worry about that this year LOL. My neighbor is a limo driver and he was saying thanks be to God for this winter. Most people just don't care that it's abnormal, they just hate snow.Me, I hate cold and damp....

I hate damp weather too, which is why I hope the pattern of dry springs keeps going

40 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

March 1888 may have been one of these absurd monster events....from what I read about 1888 there were monster storms that entire season in different parts of the country.

42 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

It's not a break; the days all have to be made up. I taught in 94 and went right through to June 30 without a break because Gov Whitman in her infinite wisdom threatened to withhold funding if we didn't. By holding classes online for half day it counts and doesn't have to be made up. If days are built in and not used ( as often happened in the 90's ) then school let out a few days earlier or days were added to spring break. 

Is there a purpose to making up the days though? If the kids pass their tests and do their work, why should it matter if they go to school for 180 days or less?

• Rjay unpinned this topic