Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023

wdrag

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

Some of us are getting older and don't want to wait for another decade....but there's nothing we can do about it. But I tell myself most people are happy to never see snow again once they are retired; they pity those of us who have to deal with it. Most people hate the stuff. Still, winter just doesn't feel right without it. Thing is, it's too cold to do anything else, but too warm to feel like winter. It's just cold and damp. Really depressing weather.

I'd like to see sun if it doesn't snow-- rain is completely useless right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

We'll easily catch it. Another +8 week coming up. We should blow past it

You frequently mention how this is like the 80s...wrong it's a lot worse. The 80s were cold, this is another beast. 

yeah for snow futility this reminds me of the 80s, but the temps are definitely MUCH warmer....the 80s reached snow futility in a completely different way than what we have going on now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

No one can control the weather so I don't believe any bias really matters.

Some people get too emotionally involved with weather.  They let it affect their wellbeing. I can't even begin to tell you how many "meltdowns" I have seen in the SNE subforums..I wish I was employed as an online psychiatrist because by now I would have made enough money to own much of Europe AND I would  be in the process of buying back the original 13 Colonies!

Crown Kohinoor GIF - Crown Kohinoor King - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Blizzwalker said:

Some get refreshed by cola, others by beer.  Good to have diverse viewpoints. But there is objective predicting, then there is cheerleading against the collective sentiments of a snow enthusiast group.

It's a weather forum and the double standard is mind boggling.  Incessant "I hope it's right" cheerleading for snow is fine but showing models with accompanying analysis indicating perhaps why there might be less or no snow is just not to be tolerated?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blizzwalker said:

Some get refreshed by cola, others by beer.  Good to have diverse viewpoints. But there is objective predicting, then there is cheerleading against the collective sentiments of a snow enthusiast group.

beer is actually healthier than cola is but that's a whole different convo lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yes, if you use the data from the 1870s through the 1920s or so, NYC consistently averaged over 30 inches of snow every decade, and that was using the old way of measuring snow which did not account for compaction.

The actual snow totals were likely between 40-50 inches during that time period..

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Some people get too emotionally involved with weather.  They let it affect their wellbeing. I can't even begin to tell you how many "meltdowns" I have seen in the SNE subforums..I wish I was employed as an online psychiatrist because by now I would have made enough money to own much of Europe AND I be in the process of buying back the original 13 Colonies!

I've acquired other hobbies like setting up bird feeders of various types and started planting bulbs in pots.

The variety of wildlife even here is fascinating, I have parrots, woodpeckers, cardinals, blue jays (including some giant ones), and all sorts of song birds visiting all the time.

4 hours ago, snowman19 said:

I get it you hate me. Everytime I post you jump all over me and try to embarrass me. You win, not worth it anymore. I’m done. Not posting in here again. You finally bullied and harassed me away. Not worth the headache anymore, this has been a tit for tat game for years

I saw this when I woke up and it bummed me out. I'm new here and although sometimes your posts have made me a little bummed about the reality of our collective snowless situation and I always enjoy your knowledgeable 2 cents on all things weather. Don't stop posting snowman, do your thing!!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Blizzwalker said:

It's not about accuracy of prediction -- it's about systematic bias-- in an unpopular direction.

Just two days ago he was complaining about the GFS caving to the Euro. I had to point out to him that it was actually showing more snow. It definitely wasn't accuracy.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Some people get too emotionally involved with weather.  They let it affect their wellbeing. I can't even begin to tell you how many "meltdowns" I have seen in the SNE subforums..I wish I was employed as an online psychiatrist because by now I would have made enough money to own much of Europe AND I be in the process of buying back the original 13 Colonies!

and just imagine the meltdowns when the Red Sox underperform again, or maybe they've already come to expect it!

1 minute ago, mannynyc said:

Just two days ago he was complaining about the GFS caving to the Euro. I had to point out to him that it was actually showing more snow. It definitely wasn't accuracy.

People are way too glued to the models, anyone who actually watches the weather and the trends this season could tell you no way no how this was going to accumulate in the city

6 minutes ago, jr461 said:

It's a weather forum and the double standard is mind boggling.  Incessant "I hope it's right" cheerleading for snow is fine but showing models with accompanying analysis indicating perhaps why there might be less or no snow is just not to be tolerated?

It's like when someone who is being realistic is constantly called a pessimist. You need to be a cheerleader for snow or you're not welcome 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

It's why no snow days back then plus most of the events were timed to weekends or mid winter recess.  We had a couple of 6-8 inchers but school didn't shut down for those either.

Blizzard of 78 I was in college on the monday of the storm....they let us go home early at around 2 PM...Now they'd be widespread panic if a similar storm was approaching..

8184b0431e32fad0bde40c409e53db62.jpg

Classes were cancelled the next 4 days. It was the only time that school/classes were ever cancelled the night before during my 16 years of schooling....please note: some people  would debate that I actually  attended school for 16 years!

• Thanks 1

What anyone’s typical message is when posting has no nor will it ever have any bearing on how the forum gets moderated. This has nothing to do with rooting for snow vs not rooting for snow. Lets all get back to discussing the weather like adults please.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It did it with ease too. Just consistently well above average everyday which is the scary part. 

In the past even if there were a few record warm days, there would also be some cold to follow.

Not anymore 

that alarming aspect started about five years ago. We no longer just have a few very warm days. It’s a constant +3+5+6+2. And thats how we get a warm month. Endless warmth.

That, more than anything, really speaks to a warmer climate. You’re comparing a new reality with normal temperatures from 20 or 30 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

why is remote learning so bad?  I found in class learning completely useless....I did all my learning reading books in the library and staying ahead of the class and acing my tests without ever really listening to anything my teachers said.

Some teachers would have much preferred that I did online learning rather than in class learning but the internet did not exist back then..

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

that alarming aspect started about five years ago. We no longer just have a few very warm days. It’s a constant +3+5+6+2. And thats how we get a warm month. Endless warmth.

That, more than anything, really speaks to a warmer climate. You’re comparing a new reality with normal temperatures from 20 or 30 years ago.

Agree

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Blizzard of 78 I was in college on the monday of the storm....they let us go home early at around 2 PM...Now they'd be widespread panic if a similar storm was approaching..

8184b0431e32fad0bde40c409e53db62.jpg

Classes were cancelled the next 4 days. It was the only time that school/classes were ever cancelled the night before during my 16 years of schooling....please note: some people  would debate that I actually  attended school for 16 years!

That reminds me of Feb 1983, the storm began around noon on a Friday and the snow quickly became heavy, we were let out of school an hour early, that's it.

Walked home from school with my dad in the snow when I was 9 years old.

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic