Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023

wdrag

1 minute ago, MANDA said:

To me it does.  It would somehow make the lack of snowfall worthwhile.  Pyrrhic victory if you will.

I guess, just to me if CPK gets 0.1 and misses the record or 0.0 and gets it, it's still just a crap stretch.

I think the much much larger record is a full season under 1 inch.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The Ukie looks like the RGEM/CMC now and the GFS cut back

Yep you have to go to extreme northwest NJ to get snow on the UKMET now. I'm sure NAM and Euro will come to reality soon. We're not getting a few inches of snow with the low tracking that far west and not much cold air in place. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

What I find funny are the different moods in different forums. NE and MA forums are mostly optimistic while this one is on the pessimistic side.

it couldn't be because we've had the most productive snow period over the last 15 years ever, no?

Islip has averaged more than State College lmao regression to the mean sucks

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

it couldn't be because we've had the most productive snow period over the last 15 years ever, no?

Islip has averaged more than State College lmao

We are all spoiled for sure.    However coming up on 5 years since our last great pattern (March 2018)   Last Jan was close with 3 good weeks

1 hour ago, EastonSN+ said:

FWIW CMC was a bit colder.

The CMC idea of no overruning band is definitely wrong.  The NAM/Euro might ultimately be too far south with it and it may end up over SWF/POU as often happens with these events but the idea of basically nothing til everyone flips to a southerly wind is highly likely to not verify.  I don’t think we know for 36 more hours if there’s a chance of decent snows down to I78 or south  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Being realistic does not mean we are being negative. Many, including you, have hyped up many periods that have not worked out, so getting excited for front end slop does not raise the spirits of most. 

if you're talking about late December, that pattern deserved to be hyped up. it was pretty awful luck that the period didn't produce, what can you do though

sometimes even the 9/10 patterns fail. December 2010 could have easily gone the same way, but we got lucky with BDB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

if you're talking about late December, that pattern deserved to be hyped up. it was pretty awful luck that the period didn't produce, what can you do though

sometimes even the 9/10 patterns fail. December 2010 could have easily gone the same way, but we got lucky with BDB

I think there were some issues with December's blocking being too far SW and it linked up with the SE ridge-seems like we've seen that theme a couple years with blocking too far south....maybe b/c of the warm atlantic waters?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The CMC idea of no overruning band is definitely wrong.  The NAM/Euro might ultimately be too far south with it and it may end up over SWF/POU as often happens with these events but the idea of basically nothing til everyone flips to a southerly wind is highly likely to not verify.  I don’t think we know for 36 more hours if there’s a chance of decent snows down to I78 or south  

Agree the cmc is out to lunch imo, the nam probably is too. 

Just now, Brian5671 said:

I think there were some issues with December's blocking being too far SW and it linked up with the SE ridge-seems like we've seen that theme a couple years with blocking too far south....maybe b/c of the warm atlantic waters?

not really sure. it's probably just bad luck... if the shortwave that led to the cutter came in a day later, it would have been a huge coastal storm, but the ridge was too far W

and then the follow up wave was a day too late and the ridge broke down out west. just really bad timing, could have been a very good stretch. luck is always in our winters here

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yep you have to go to extreme northwest NJ to get snow on the UKMET now. I'm sure NAM and Euro will come to reality soon. We're not getting a few inches of snow with the low tracking that far west and not much cold air in place. 

ICON cut back too. I’d be surprised if the Euro doesn’t next

• Rjay unpinned this topic