Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 2023

wdrag

7 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

You in their right mind would cancel winter on January 18?

Had you been old enough to live through the 80's and 90s a winter like this would be no big surprise; even though it was colder on average, I'd be flounder fishing by the end of Feb and party boats would be ready to sail by early March; in recent decades not only was March too cold, but the fisheries disappeared, along with the party boats, as well. I only remember 4 storms in all of the 80s; Jan 82 ( the famous plane crash in the Potomac; the storm made it up here ) April 82, Feb 83, and Jan 87. There were some piddly events in 84 and 85. The 90's had two epic winters, 94 and 96, and 93 had the march superstorm. That's it. Over 20 years, and the 70s weren't much to talk about either; only the winter of 78 stands out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Agreed. If we get anything at all it will be a big deal. I haven't even purchased road salt this year. Didn't even start the snowblowers. I didn't even move them out of storage, actually. The mice are happy at least....

My shovels, snowblower and kids sleds have yet to be moved from the shed to the garage...

• Like 1

I believe NYC will see at least .5" of front end from the 1/25 storm and we will come up just short of the futility record.

I’d have to agree. Don’t think it’s much, probably less than an inch before going to rain. It would take the curse of Medusa for NYC to make it to 2/1 with zero snow from 11/1 - 2/1
  • Like 1

I’m always reluctant to cancel a winter this early, as much as I’d love to. But I’ve never seen bulbs come up this early and this much insect activity this time of year, the buds on some trees look a couple of weeks away from opening. First time seeing worms in January too. The dead of winter is very much alive right now.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Had you been old enough to live through the 80's and 90s a winter like this would be no big surprise; even though it was colder on average, I'd be flounder fishing by the end of Feb and party boats would be ready to sail by early March; in recent decades not only was March too cold, but the fisheries disappeared, along with the party boats, as well. I only remember 4 storms in all of the 80s; Jan 82 ( the famous plane crash in the Potomac; the storm made it up here ) April 82, Feb 83, and Jan 87. There were some piddly events in 84 and 85. The 90's had two epic winters, 94 and 96, and 93 had the march superstorm. That's it. Over 20 years, and the 70s weren't much to talk about either; only the winter of 78 stands out.

This is most of the 70's.80's and 90's. I think the youngsters on the board think the climate of NYC is the period from 2000-2017. It's not. 12 inch plus snowstorms became common. IN the 70's, 80's you'd be happy for 4 inches. That would be a lot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The storm responsible for last night's rain and thunder has moved away from the region with partly sunny skies returning. In response temperatures rose well into the 40s, somewhat overperforming the guidance in what has been a remarkably warm January.

A mild weekend lies ahead. Another storm will bring rain to the region later Sunday into Monday

The lengthening measurable snow drought will persist in New York City and Philadelphia through at least early next week. Support for a measurable snowfall during the January 25-27 period has increased on the ensembles. The National Blend of Models currently shows 1.8" during January 25-26. Things can still change.

A cooler pattern remains on course to develop during the closing days of January. The duration of this cooler period remains somewhat uncertain. For now, it appears that moderation could begin to occur during the latter part of the first week of February.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.2°C for the week centered around January 11. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.37°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.82°C. La Niña conditions could fade to neutral conditions during late winter or early spring.

The SOI was +18.28 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.484 today.

On January 18 the MJO was in Phase 1 at an amplitude of 0.554 (RMM). The January 17-adjusted amplitude was 0.553 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 100% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal January (1991-2020 normal). January will likely finish with a mean temperature near 41.1° (7.4° above normal).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cfa said:

I’m always reluctant to cancel a winter this early, as much as I’d love to. But I’ve never seen bulbs come up this early and this much insect activity this time of year, the buds on some trees look a couple of weeks away from opening. First time seeing worms in January too. The dead of winter is very much alive right now.

They're probably Asian Jumping Worms not the typical European earthworms we're accustomed to. @weatherpruf I remember Mulen talking about his early season fishing adventures off the Whitestone section on the boards back in the late 90s.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, snowman19 said:

I don’t think it changes back to snow. This winter can’t be over, it never even started. Been nothing but a parade of cutters, inland runners and warmth since mid-November. The only semblance of winter was the 4 day arctic cold snap Christmas week

I'll be happy when it's hot and dry and it stops raining.  I'm fine with it being sunny every day I just can't stand a lot of rain.

They are also doing some kind of pipe replacement on my block so lots of drilling and next week they will need access to my basement so I won't have any power or water for four hours next Tuesday-- oh joy!

1 hour ago, WX-PA said:

This is most of the 70's.80's and 90's. I think the youngsters on the board think the climate of NYC is the period from 2000-2017. It's not. 12 inch plus snowstorms became common. IN the 70's, 80's you'd be happy for 4 inches. That would be a lot.

I have said this many times before and been criticized

I lived through it, that’s why I find the remarks on this board hilarious regarding our current situation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Not really emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Never change lol.  It was weird when you were gone for awhile when it finally became clear the block in December would not produce anything outside of cold and dry.  It's better when someone who actually enjoys this sort of weather brings some balance to the board and forum.

• Rjay unpinned this topic