• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023

wdrag

Parts of the region saw snow flurries and snow showers, along with temperatures in the 30s. Nevertheless, New York City (Central Park) again failed to record measurable snow. The measurable snow drought has now reached 311 consecutive days, which is the 4th longest such stretch on record.

Tomorrow will be partly sunny and seasonably cold. An offshore storm could spread clouds into the region late tomorrow into Monday. Parts of eastern Long Island and eastern New England, including Boston, could see a period of snow. Right now, the odds favor a light to perhaps moderate snowfall in that area. Farther west, the measurable snow drought will very likely continue in Philadelphia and New York City.

Milder weather will then return and persist through much of next week before cooler air returns. The duration of any cooler period is uncertain, as some of the extended guidance returns ridging to the East near the end of January or very early in February.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.7°C for the week centered around December 28. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.48°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.87°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist through mid-winter before fading to neutral conditions.

The SOI was -9.42 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.233 today.

On January 12 the MJO was in Phase 8 at an amplitude of 0.874 (RMM). The January 11-adjusted amplitude was 0.529 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 99% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal January (1991-2020 normal). January will likely finish with a mean temperature near 40.6° (6.9° above normal).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Bxstormwatcher360 said:

For a storm thats supposed to be far away,i can't help but notice the winds picking up and on and off snow showers and flurries most of the day. Rn its snowing lightly here in the bx and i expect the radar to expand as the storm approaches.

It would be exciting if there were a renegade TROWELL or inverted trof well to the west of the modeled precip. shield. It's not like it's completely unprecedented, but very unlikely in this situation. There are just limited lifting mechanisms to generate precip. west of eastern LI. Scattered flurries are probably all most will get outside E LI, or SECT.

• Thanks 2

Seems snow showers increasing just inland from Maine to south Jersey. Maybe the moisture from off shore front and storm hitting the cold air. Would be nice to see it fill in over night and have a light snow fall even in Central Park. Just a thought, probably won't happen but this time yesterday I would have said snow showers today wouldn't happen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eduggs said:

I suppose it's possible :lol: I'm in favor of anything that brings us snow.

Raindrops and snowflakes need nuclei - usually dust particles - to crystallize around and transfer vapor into the solid phase. I believe salt particularly near coastal regions, e.g., LI, coastal SNE, are very efficient at facilitating crystallization. My guess is this would promote flurries vs. drizzle but it's possible it could allow precipitation to form below the normal crystallization zone. 

It makes me wonder if this is how it sometimes snows (or drizzles) when you don't see anything on radar.  Low level "under the radar"-- you often see this when it's very cold and you see these beautiful sparkly tiny snow crystals drifting down-- this happened a lot in February 2015.

Another thing which could help precipitate is meteoric dust, which makes me wonder if precipitation is more likely just after meteor showers occur?

10 hours ago, USCG RS said:

The saving grace to this winter is heating oil. In October/November the Energy and Emergency Management community were preparing for the worst, including an inability of the average person to afford it while also being concerned about the need for rolling electric blackouts due to a lack of supply. 

Thankfully, the rather mild winter has negated this threat for the most part. 

Yeah.. I don't think Central Suffolk and east should sleep on this 

I would argue in some ways yes and here's why: our area, LI especially, is directly abutting the water. All snow for us is essentially thread the needle, even in a great pattern (of course there are always exceptions). The WAR forces warm air towards the island without much to subdue it. Ie, southerly winds or pushing an LP too close to LI/SE CT/NYC is a recipe for disaster because of our proximity to the water.

There is, of course, a flip side to this. The WAR causes a plethora of baroclynicity and this can really benefit the area when the gradient is in the right location. 

Humans are still more intuitive than machines when they listen to themselves. For now, anyway 

Ya know... The USSR used to seed and play with salt for wx purposes... 

Yep, all complex animals have intuition, it's amazing really.

I even read that trees in the Amazon control their own weather-- it's fascinating!  Science papers were written on how they control nucleation.....

About non thread the needle HECS snowstorms, I've always wondered how they happen.... like February 1978, February 1983, January 1996, PD 2 February 2003, January 2016 are the only ones I can think of offhand.....the other ones were thread the needle for the most part (even Boxing Day).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lee59 said:

Seems snow showers increasing just inland from Maine to south Jersey. Maybe the moisture from off shore front and storm hitting the cold air. Would be nice to see it fill in over night and have a light snow fall even in Central Park. Just a thought, probably won't happen but this time yesterday I would have said snow showers today wouldn't happen.

the wind is sure blowing now....there was no snow in the afternoon and we just got a coating (T).

The GEFS just got even uglier (if that’s possible) by 2/1. It has a flat Aleutian ridge and a -PNA trough digging down into Baja. If that’s correct it’s a lights out look, even without the SE ridge. As depicted, that would completely flood Canada and the CONUS with Pacific Maritime air, arctic completely cutoff. The PAC is a total cluster you know what on that run

• Like 3

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

The GEFS just got even uglier (if that’s possible) by 2/1. It has a flat Aleutian ridge and a -PNA trough digging down into Baja. If that’s correct it’s a lights out look, even without the SE ridge. As depicted, that would completely flood Canada and the CONUS with Pacific Maritime air, arctic completely cutoff. The PAC is a total cluster you know what on that run

It would be interesting if we could challenge records from 1972-73 and 2001-02 for snowfall and warmth.

I'm kind of disappointed we had that meaningless dry cold in December now.  It probably means we can't beat any mild winter records but snowfall records are definitely in play on the low end lol.

Are you confident about an el nino for next winter?  Wouldn't it be more interesting if we somehow pulled off another la nina-- a 4 year la nina is unprecedented in modern times.  Or we could have a neutral which would be another bad winter most likely?

01-02 was a neutral after a three year la nina and we saw how that turned out lol.

I wonder if it's ever happened that we went right from a three year la nina into an el nino or if going to neutral first is more common?

• Rjay unpinned this topic