Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023

wdrag

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

Central Park's measurable snow drought will reach 308 consecutive days today, which will rank as the 6th longest such streak. In addition, Winter 2022-2023 will become just the 7th winter to go through January 11th without any measurable snowfall.

image.png.8e318ded264896326683e750bdb422c0.png

An amazing snow drought in much of the east..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Wait Montreal hasn’t been below 10F? I’ve been as low as 7 so far this winter, that seems wildly unusual. I guess initially to do with the orientation (west to east) of the Dec arctic surge? Wild. 

I thought the same thing.  I got down to zero during the Christmas Outbreak.  Seems odd but the Arctic push was south and then east.  In addition to that lots of above normal heights all month to our north.  Just look at the positive temperature departures over New England for December.   Just very odd though that I was 10 degrees colder than Montreal for the season so far.  Heck, even NYC got below 10 this season.  Wonder when the last time was that NYC had a colder minimum temperature than Montreal season to date.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

There's nothing on the horizon though. Pretty much nil til late Jan

For now. But beyond 10 days, model skill falls dramatically, so things can still change. It could turn cooler during the last week of the month. The magnitude is uncertain. The duration of such cooling, if it occurs, is also uncertain.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It's bad. Montreal reached 10° this morning for the first time this winter. The previous latest first 10° temperature occurred on December 29, 2015. Before that, the record was December 28, 2001.

Wow, I didn't even know that. This torch is no joke here in Toronto too. Our average low right now is 12F and we've only hit 12F twice this whole winter and both times were during that Christmas outbreak. December still ended up well above average despite that 3-4 day Christmas outbreak. 

The Rideau canal, the longest skating rink in the world, has yet to open due to a lack of cold. 

• Like 3

There's nothing on the horizon though. Pretty much nil til late Jan

Pray the new GEFS extended are wrong. It shows the pattern going to hell in the opening first couple of days of February. It goes canonical La Niña, flat Aleutian ridge, -PNA trough dumped into the west and massive SE ridge. CFS also just went to a torch for February but take that model for what it is
  • Weenie 2

Pray the new GEFS extended are wrong. It shows the pattern going to hell in the opening first couple of days of February. It goes canonical La Niña, flat Aleutian ridge, -PNA trough dumped into the west and massive SE ridge. CFS also just went to a torch for February but take that model for what it is

The pool opens Memorial Day Weekend. I’m assuming 55° and rain like 2020.

14 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Wow, I didn't even know that. This torch is no joke here in Toronto too. Our average low right now is 12F and we've only hit 12F twice this whole winter and both times were during that Christmas outbreak. December still ended up well above average despite that 3-4 day Christmas outbreak. 

The Rideau canal, the longest skating rink in the world, has yet to open due to a lack of cold. 

It's been really bad. A lot of winter-dependent industries are suffering.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

30 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

So a hellish pattern is going further into hell?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I’ve been seriously working on getting my wife to come around to the idea of moving into New England (been targeting western Connecticut) in part because we need a change of scenery living in NJ all our lives and in part because I need more consistent winters. Honestly at this rate I’m going to need to target Caribou, Maine to achieve that… 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I’ve been seriously working on getting my wife to come around to the idea of moving into New England (been targeting western Connecticut) in part because we need a change of scenery living in NJ all our lives and in part because I need more consistent winters. Honestly at this rate I’m going to need to target Caribou, Maine to achieve that… 

Gotta head west...unless you like having drinking water of course

5 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Gotta head west...unless you like having drinking water of course

Yeah, it’s not exclusively for attaining max snowfall and continental climate conditions, there are other reasons including work that we’re targeting that area. It’s the best compromise of all factors. If it were just about snowfall and temp I’d head to upstate NY. 

And honestly if my wife were more like me I really would move to Vermont, NH, or Maine. I love it up there so much. 

As bad as this winter has been so far, I think the infamous “vodka cold” winter of 01-02 was worse. Not only was it virtually snowless, there was no cold at all on our side of the pole from November to March. At least this winter we had the major arctic outbreak in late December, although it was very short lived
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

On the bright side, after years of drought and lack of snow PAC the west is having a banner snow year!

They were way overdue.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

As bad as this winter has been so far, I think the infamous “vodka cold” winter of 01-02 was worse. Not only was it virtually snowless, there was no cold at all on our side of the pole from November to March. At least this winter we had the major arctic outbreak in late December, although it was very short lived

It was also rainless-i think most months had less than an inch of precip and some less than .50

29 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Danbury CT up through Litchfield Cty does best for snow-we do ok here but we're 5 miles from LI sound so that taints some storms 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

On the bright side, after years of drought and lack of snow PAC the west is having a banner snow year!

They were way overdue.

If you mean CA yes. If you mean the NW like Montana and Wyoming, just about the only thing as consistent as our warm winters are now are their cold/snowy winters. The perma Nina has been very kind to them. 

29 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Danbury CT up through Litchfield Cty does best for snow-we do ok here but we're 5 miles from LI sound so that taints some storms 

Danbury area is what we’ve been targeting. We’re going up to New England for my bday next month and will be staying a night or two in Danbury proper. Excited! Seems like a beautiful area and I have some extended family in the area as well. The surrounding area is my current first choice. Would probably be within the next two years if we make the move, before we have kids honestly. 

Interestingly were I to stay at my current job for a while, Danbury is 60 miles from where I am right now. From my job to my place at TR / Manchester border is like 65 miles. I already have 2-3 hour commutes in the summer so I can’t imagine it’d be worse than that, though I’m sure it gets congested. All things that have to be considered. 

16 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Danbury area is what we’ve been targeting. We’re going up to New England for my bday next month and will be staying a night or two in Danbury proper. Excited! Seems like a beautiful area and I have some extended family in the area as well. The surrounding area is my current first choice. Would probably be within the next two years if we make the move, before we have kids honestly. 

Interestingly were I to stay at my current job for a while, Danbury is 60 miles from where I am right now. From my job to my place at TR / Manchester border is like 65 miles. I already have 2-3 hour commutes in the summer so I can’t imagine it’d be worse than that, though I’m sure it gets congested. All things that have to be considered. 

Are you looking for a true City or suburb? Ridgefield is just south of Danbury and is real nice with good schools.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

I agree. In terms of warmth and lack of snowfall, 2001-02 was the worst.

• Rjay unpinned this topic