Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023

wdrag

EURO = Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Persistence is a forecasting tool.

I'm quite sure the evolution of things will not be exactly as EURO depicts.  Entire week away and there will be changes.  Not saying for the better necessarily.  EURO as currently modeled certainly meets the definition of persistence.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Huge torch signal still there after the rainstorm next weekend. This is going to make a run at warmest January ever 

I would say its a lock. you need to somehow negate the extremes here, and I just don’t see any extended period of even normal weather….forget BN.

What a very sad state of affairs

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

You can't broadbrush it like that though, only 3 states are near 80, and there are large pockets of areas (specifically urbanized areas) where it's closer to 60 (much of it because of air pollution-- the number one shortener of life on the planet-- which leads to heart disease, lung disease, asthma, etc.)

This is exactly why we're doing the right thing when we ban diesel trucks and drilling near urbanized areas.

Big  factors in human life expectancy  are improvements in infant and child mortality.  The wealthy even in antiquity could live to very old ages. Also, life expectancy is declining in the USA. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Huge torch signal still there after the rainstorm next weekend. This is going to make a run at warmest January ever 

This is just one of those winters. I haven't needed a real jacket since the brief ice box and have been walking outside in the mornings with summer weight hiking pants and and a fleece jacket. Haven't even needed a hat or gloves.

• Like 2

This is as ugly as it gets for winter weather lovers. On January 6th we haven't even had a half inch of snow and the rest of January looks terrible. Most likely a rainstorm the end of next week and another blowtorch pattern after that. Sad, but we should do our best to enjoy the warm weather by doing more stuff outdoors. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Big  factors in human life expectancy  are improvements in infant and child mortality.  The wealthy even in antiquity could live to very old ages. Also, life expectancy is declining in the USA. 

Honestly, the earth can’t really sustain the amount of people has on it.

we are reaching the tipping point of population exceeding natural resources to sustain it.

Declining life expectancy is a natural solution to a natural problem.

The Earth will adjust itself. It has done it many times already. If not, I would be looking at stegosauruses as I crawl down the Deegan emitting CO2 with my Jeep.

If you want more concrete factors specifically for the US starting to die earlier: whites in poor communities are being inundated with fentanyl and opioids… and it is killing them. That has been bringing down the life expectancy of the US for a while now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

Honestly, the earth can’t really sustain the amount of people has on it.

we are reaching the tipping point of population exceeding natural resources to sustain it.

Declining life expectancy is a natural solution to a natural problem.

The Earth will adjust itself. It has done it many times already. If not, I would be looking at stegosauruses as I crawl down the Deegan emitting CO2 with my Jeep.

If you want more concrete factors specifically for the US starting to die earlier: whites in poor communities are being inundated with fentanyl and opioids… and it is killing them. That has been bringing down the life expectancy of the US for a while now.

Reading these boards might be doing it to them as well.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Need a sub 1000 low tracking to the southeast and ideally a high in place (although not absolutely essential in January).   

We need at least some access to non-Pacific garbage air. If we had a low rapidly deepening SE of us it could do it, as the crashing heights could make it cold enough to snow everywhere. But this 200-hr storm even if it does go SE of us, cuts off the low so soon that it just becomes engulfed in maritime air around it. Or it could go the way of the rest of the Nina crap so far this winter and cut to the lakes. Either way isn't good for most of us. Maybe the forever cut off low SE of us could be okay for NW areas. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

This is as ugly as it gets for winter weather lovers. On January 6th we haven't even had a half inch of snow and the rest of January looks terrible. Most likely a rainstorm the end of next week and another blowtorch pattern after that. Sad, but we should do our best to enjoy the warm weather by doing more stuff outdoors. 

Probably looking into February now for anything substantial 

43 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We need at least some access to non-Pacific garbage air. If we had a low rapidly deepening SE of us it could do it, as the crashing heights could make it cold enough to snow everywhere. But this 200-hr storm even if it does go SE of us, cuts off the low so soon that it just becomes engulfed in maritime air around it. Or it could go the way of the rest of the Nina crap so far this winter and cut to the lakes. Either way isn't good for most of us. Maybe the forever cut off low SE of us could be okay for NW areas. 

Exactly, 40-70 means nothing when there isn’t a cold air source. Even at peak climo Along the coast we are at the whims of the ascendent airmass. That’s meteo 101. If you can shave 5-10f off your normals at peak climo (used to be all of us) you can get by. But unfortunately the highest point on the coastal plain doesn’t exceed 1,000’ until Cadillac mountain in maine

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It won’t be hard this year for march to feel more wintry then January 

I’d take a hard frost(TWSS) at this point. The media would be in hysterics. Once in a lifetime frost!

The second warmest opening week of January is nearing an end with a slow cooling trend underway. That cooling trend will continue through the weekend.

The second week of January will be cooler, but a cold outcome is unlikely. Some guidance suggests that there could be a sharper but brief cold shot just before mid-month. However, once moderate support for snowfall during the January 13-15 period has been declining. Just 18% of 12z EPS members now show 1" or more snow for New York City. Prior to then, there is a low probability of measurable snowfall Sunday night into Monday.

2022 became the 14th year during which New York City received no measurable snowfall through December 31st. During the 13 prior years, mean seasonal snowfall was 16.0" (median seasonal snowfall: 16.3"). Just 8% of those winters rallied to see 30" or more seasonal snowfall. 31% of those winters wound up with less than 10" of seasonal snowfall. Just under half (46%) had 20" or more seasonal snowfall. The lowest seasonal snowfall for those cases of 2.8" was recorded in 1972-1973. The highest seasonal snowfall for those cases was 32.8", which occurred during 2015-2016.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.7°C for the week centered around December 28. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.48°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.87°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist through mid-winter before fading to neutral conditions.

The SOI was +17.44 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.814 today.

On January 4 the MJO was in Phase 7 at an amplitude of 1.099 (RMM). The January 3-adjusted amplitude was 1.353 (RMM).

• Thanks 3

• Rjay unpinned this topic