Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023

wdrag

3 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

BDR Jan highs. Can they reach 70 for the first time? OT but wonder if the two day stretch of 60 plus in 1916 will ever be broken.

Rank Temperature Date
1 69 °F January 12, 2020
2 68 °F January 6, 2007
2 68 °F January 29, 2002
2 68 °F January 14, 1932
5 65 °F January 9, 2008
5 65 °F January 27, 1974
5 65 °F January 28, 1916
5 65 °F January 27, 1916
5 65 °F January 7, 1907

must be a flow off the sound at BDR-only showing 55.    I'm at 64 just south of the Merritt

7 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

When doesn’t the gfs have that? 

Yeah I'm so tired of the GFS messing with us. It wasn't long ago that it had snow for us this friday, but of course we now know it's just gonna be a little light rain. GFS has teased us several times this winter. Horrible model that should be ignored when it doesn't have any support from other models. I just looked at the CMC and it doesn't have snow for us next week. 

• Like 1

It’s rough, man. There’s truth to the statement that we’ve been “trolled” by favorable storm depictions that evaporate in the shorter medium term. It’s a bitter pill, you know?

I like you though MJO812, you keep the faith going because it rubs off on me sometimes. I don’t like taking a defeatist attitude about this stuff. 

Winter certainly isn’t over on Jan 4th no matter what it shows right now. Might be an uphill battle, but I have to believe this is not going to be a wall to wall shutout. Statistically of course they’re rare. 

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It has support with a storm from the Eps and MJO.

Jeez this subforum is a morgue right now with everyone downplaying everything.

It's January 4th and we haven't had anything more than a dusting of snow, and the pattern doesn't look very favorable. Obviously we can get thread the needle snow events in bad winters, so no one should be saying we won't get any snow at all this winter. But the situation is not good at all. You seem to be in denial. 

9 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah I'm so tired of the GFS messing with us. It wasn't long ago that it had snow for us this friday, but of course we now know it's just gonna be a little light rain. GFS has teased us several times this winter. Horrible model that should be ignored when it doesn't have any support from other models. I just looked at the CMC and it doesn't have snow for us next week. 

It has been so bad this year that only a few even care what it shows 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

It's January 4th and we haven't had anything more than a dusting of snow, and the pattern doesn't look very favorable. Obviously we can get thread the needle snow events in bad winters, so no one should be saying we won't get any snow at all this winter. But the situation is not good at all. You seem to be in denial. 

Many years ago when I first began to have access to the internet and weather models I thought it was cool to be able to view the models but after a while I began to realize how bad thee models were.  They are the equivalent of prospect lists in baseball.  Both lead to people being disappointed more times than not.  

• Like 2

Temperatures across the area are soaring to near record and record highs. Yet another day is passing where snow-starved New York City and Philadelphia won't see any measurable snowfall. The larger Boston, New York City, and Philadelphia corridor is currently passing through a fairly novel situation.

Beginning in the 1990s, winters with very low snowfall in Boston, New York City, and Philadelphia through the end of December began to appear. Winter 2022-2023 became just the 5th winter beginning with 1893-1894 where Boston saw less than 2" of snow and both New York City and Philadelphia had no measurable snowfall through January 4th.

The sample size is very small, but most of those winters went on to see below normal seasonal snowfall.

image.png.58ddb4aa0e7f0d1700f3b480134ee449.png

Could things be worse? Perhaps.

Since 1950, Winter 2022-2023 became only the second winter to see no measurable snowfall in both New York City and Philadelphia when the Arctic Oscillation (AO) was negative for all 35 days. The other winter: 2001-2002.

During Winter 2001-2002, the MJO passed through Phase 8 during January 4-9 and Phases 8-1-2 during January 4-18. Temperatures remained generally mild.

Phase 8 passage: Boston: 39.3°; New York City: 39.7°; Philadelphia: 39.5°
Phases 8-1-2 passage: Boston: 39.8°; New York City: 42.4°; Philadelphia: 43.4°

During the passage through phases 8-1-2, New York City picked up 3.5" of snow and Philadelphia saw 4.0". And that concluded the snow season for both cities. Boston limped to a seasonal total of 15.1".

For now, even as the odds are increasingly tilting toward below normal snowfall, a disastrously low outcome isn't the most likely scenario. Indeed, some guidance supports at least the potential for some snow by mid-month. But that's guidance. Things can change. Finally, even as it isn't the most likely outcome, a disastrously low outcome cannot be dismissed outright.

5 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Many years ago when I first began to have access to the internet and weather models I thought it was cool to be able to view the models but after a while I began to realize how bad thee models were.  They are the equivalent of prospect lists in baseball.  Both lead to people being disappointed more times than not.  

Yep. We know that most snowstorm chances fail for our area, so it's best to look for what could go wrong rather than what could go right. I like Anthony's enthusiasm, but he's always looking for what could go right rather than what could go wrong and that leads to disappointment most of the time. 

• Like 1

Just now, winterwx21 said:

Yep. We know that most snowstorm chances fail for our area, so it's best to look for what could go wrong rather than what could go right. I like Anthony's enthusiasm, but he's always looking for what can go right rather than what can go wrong and that leads to disappointment most of the time. 

Back in the day the on air mets would take the time to explain the possible outcomes. Now they show model output/futurecast with no explanation or forecast made. 

Pet peeve that's been bugging me in posts on this board for years: If you're going to use early winter lack of snowfall as evidence that the rest of winter is likely to be bad for snow...then don't post below average TOTAL snowfall as the proof.   Instead show totals for the later part of winter.   Otherwise, you're essentially just predicting the past.  If we're say 6 inches short of where we usually are at this point, then of course we're likely to end up short of our usual total...but as long as we end less than 6 inches short of average, we've actually had a pretty good winter from this point on and could argue that the lack of snowfall early in the winter did NOT indicate that the rest of winter would be bad.

8 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Yep. We know that most snowstorm chances fail for our area, so it's best to look for what could go wrong rather than what could go right. I like Anthony's enthusiasm, but he's always looking for what could go right rather than what could go wrong and that leads to disappointment most of the time. 

if people looked for what could only go wrong, snowstorms would literally never be forecasted

Dec 2010 was thread the needle, Jan 2016 and Feb 2021 had too much confluence and so on

it's important to acknowledge periods of higher potential

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

BDR Jan highs. Can they reach 70 for the first time? OT but wonder if the two day stretch of 60 plus in 1916 will ever be broken.

Rank Temperature Date
1 69 °F January 12, 2020
2 68 °F January 6, 2007
2 68 °F January 29, 2002
2 68 °F January 14, 1932
5 65 °F January 9, 2008
5 65 °F January 27, 1974
5 65 °F January 28, 1916
5 65 °F January 27, 1916
5 65 °F January 7, 1907

It will be interesting to see how warm it gets. Clouds could limit today’s warming. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CentralNJSnowman said:

Pet peeve that's been bugging me in posts on this board for years: If you're going to use early winter lack of snowfall as evidence that the rest of winter is likely to be bad for snow...then don't post below average TOTAL snowfall as the proof.   Instead show totals for the later part of winter.   Otherwise, you're essentially just predicting the past.  If we're say 6 inches short of where we usually are at this point, then of course we're likely to end up short of our usual total...but as long as we end less than 6 inches short of average, we've actually had a pretty good winter from this point on and could argue that the lack of snowfall early in the winter did NOT indicate that the rest of winter would be bad.

..but the past can help to predict the future. 100% accurate??..no it is not but it certainly can provide a good baseline for where things may be heading.

• Rjay unpinned this topic