Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023

wdrag

52 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Dude it's January 4

The cold and snow chances usually come when the MJO goes into 8-1.

Bluewave is a great poster but it doesn't mean he is right . 

All we need is a slight buckle of the western jet.

The mid month storm looks intriguing. 

No offense but I would take what Bluewave says over likely yet another 10 day model mirage. He’s explained over and over why these mirages happen and we know how they turn out. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Late February and March have shorter wavelengths and volatility, so that would be a target.

Yes but cold air is also fleeting so the variables cancel out. 

As great of a pattern as March 2018 was it delivered lackluster totals vs what would've occurred a month earlier because cold air was lacking at times. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Yes but cold air is also fleeting so the variables cancel out. 

As great of a pattern as March 2018 was it delivered lackluster totals vs what would've occurred a month earlier because cold air was lacking at times. 

I think the forum is so spread out it's hard to gauge who has been successful late season.

Speaking for coastal SW CT, March has delivered more often than not.

For instance, March 2019 (the forgotten March due to 2018) received 2 snowstorms totalling 11.5 below. Snowiest month of the year of course. How much did your back yard get?

image.thumb.png.7c4ee74da08e660f196e74c884d93952.png

image.thumb.png.794037cdb04d1a1726a80f48e50ab6af.png

For snow lovers two reasons to hold out some hope

1.) Duration=volatility. 2 plus months to go, therefore hard to rule out flukes like February 2018.

2.) Return of the block. As Don, Bluewave pointed out blocking tends to return when it presents itself in December. Therefore there is a chance it could happen February or March and provide some benefit 

11 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I think the forum is so spread out it's hard to gauge who has been successful late season.

Speaking for coastal SW CT, March has delivered more often than not.

For instance, March 2019 (the forgotten March due to 2018) received 2 snowstorms totalling 11.5 below. Snowiest month of the year of course. How much did your back yard get?

image.thumb.png.7c4ee74da08e660f196e74c884d93952.png

image.thumb.png.794037cdb04d1a1726a80f48e50ab6af.png

Yeah that's true. I guess I'm just thinking of the immediate NYC metro. 

CT is also SNE to me and they normally do well in March. 

• Like 1

Unbelievable that we are so warm. I can't remember a winter where we have been ABOVE freezing even at night way up into the mountains of Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Just stop with the, but this is only January 4th. People who depend on winter (aka most of the states just listed) are absolutely going to be hurting. Just take a look at the icecoast subreddit. We are seeing ski areas that are barely open in JANUARY!! Even if we turn sharply colder with no natural snow it will take a miracle to get these ski areas 100% open for MLK weekend. The bulk of money made for northeast ski season is literally right now through President's Day weekend. This is historically bad as they aren't even able to make snow right now. Luckily many areas did have a decent Christmas week, but things are bleak right now. Let's hope we can at least have freezing overnights as currently modeled. 

2 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Unbelievable that we are so warm. I can't remember a winter where we have been ABOVE freezing even at night way up into the mountains of Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Just stop with the, but this is only January 4th. People who depend on winter (aka most of the states just listed) are absolutely going to be hurting. Just take a look at the icecoast subreddit. We are seeing ski areas that are barely open in JANUARY!! Even if we turn sharply colder with no natural snow it will take a miracle to get these ski areas 100% open for MLK weekend. The bulk of money made for northeast ski season is literally right now through President's Day weekend. This is historically bad as they aren't even able to make snow right now. Luckily many areas did have a decent Christmas week, but things are bleak right now. Let's hope we can at least have freezing overnights as currently modeled. 

It’s a historic snow season out west, always winners and losers.  The pattern is well coupled and extremely stable

12 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

At 11 pm, Atlantic City (69°), New Haven (57°), and White Plains (63°) have all set new record highs. More are likely.

BDR Jan highs. Can they reach 70 for the first time? OT but wonder if the two day stretch of 60 plus in 1916 will ever be broken.

Rank Temperature Date
1 69 °F January 12, 2020
2 68 °F January 6, 2007
2 68 °F January 29, 2002
2 68 °F January 14, 1932
5 65 °F January 9, 2008
5 65 °F January 27, 1974
5 65 °F January 28, 1916
5 65 °F January 27, 1916
5 65 °F January 7, 1907
  • Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic