Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 22nd - 23rd Cutter Discussion and Observations

NJwx85

24 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

At least you saw some flakes, I only got just over 1/4 inch of rain on the south shore of LI, we dry-slotted the entire event lol. The wind is strong but we get wind this level at least once a year. The coastal flooding was pretty bad though, worse than Irene levels in some spots on the south shore

At least where I was this morning it was slightly lower than Irene, but also I took the pictures when the tide was already starting to go back out. Island Park was hit very hard too, several water rescues at least there. 

The flash freeze probably won't be happening for many, the westerly winds helped downslope and dry up the precip behind the front, and we've had sun/wind drying the roads. W or SW flow is a very inefficient way to get cold air here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

0.40" total rainfall In Smithtown.

If this had been a snowstorm, we'd be fuming about dryslots.

Honestly, 4 inches of snow before Xmas would’ve been fine by me even if we slotted away much more.  The continued snow drought (despite some decent blocking lately) is pretty depressing.

When OKX updates the p-type but not the temps:

Extended Forecast for Smithtown NY
Click here for hazard details and duration

Wind Advisory
NOW until 10:00pm Fri

Wind Advisory

This Afternoon

This Afternoon: A 40 percent chance of snow showers.  Cloudy, with a high near 62. Wind chill values between 15 and 20. Breezy, with a southwest wind around 22 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. 

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=183&y=176&site=okx&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=183&map_y=176#.Y6YZunbMJhE

PS Max here was 59.  Down to 29 as of 4:15.  Another 30 degree swing day (and counting)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Meanwhile, HRRR continues to insist on a coating of snow the length of LI between 5 and 8pm (west to east)

The ocean is still around 50 degrees. Throw some wind and bitter cold air over that and maybe we get some rare ocean effect. 

20 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

The ocean is still around 50 degrees. Throw some wind and bitter cold air over that and maybe we get some rare ocean effect. 

A 240 wind might do it.  Any north of that and you'll have to watch it from the beach, other than some tea kettle flakes.  Where I am, it would take a thread the needle around 215 (I've seen it once, but that wind was closer to 180).  New London County and southern RI over to the cape might get a wintry treat.

Down to 10 degrees here.  Was 56 degrees 12 hours ago.  Wind is howling and we have a fresh .10" of snow coating everything but pavement.  There was so flash freeze on the roads in my area at least.  Wind and drying air evaporated roadways before any freezing could take place.  Even on untreated surfaces.

• Like 1

A total of .50 inches from the storm, here in Fort Salonga (NW Suffolk, at LI Sound). Our highest wind gust today was 38.7, while my neighbor had a gust to 43.

Currently 21.7 degrees, down from a high of 58.1

Lowest barometer was 28.98 at about 1:15 PM. That was the same time that the wind shifted from the south to the northwest and the temperature really started to plummet.