Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, mimillman said:

Precipitation has stopped here. About 2” down

We have around the same here, maybe a tad less.

You can disagree all you want, but the climo here sucks. I dont think getting 50" on average with numerous 1-3; 2-4 inch snows makes up up that, considering it usually all melts within a week. I was not wrong again, it sucked. Went from 7-13 inches, to 6-10 to finish to 2 inches. Maybe 2-4 more with lake effect if we are lucky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Snowed started around 4:30 but didn't really start sticking till about 6.  Nice big flakes to start but as soon as the wind picked up they shattered.  About 2 down with a decent band moving through right now, might give us another inch.  -4/-25 with 35mph gust highest I've had on the station here so far.

We had a similar storm a few years ago, not quite as cold but gusts to 40 for about 12 hours. It did snow more with that one, around 6 inches.  We had 6 foot drifts out here in the boonies.  Think the warnings were warranted.  Roads are trash out here with the little snow we've gotten. If we would've gotten the forecasted 6-7 the models were spitting out (or more from crack model) it could've been nightmarish.  Not quite over but at least a white Xmas, those are hard to come by around here.

Merry Merry 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LansingWeather said:

We have around the same here, maybe a tad less.

You can disagree all you want, but the climo here sucks. I dont think getting 50" on average with numerous 1-3; 2-4 inch snows makes up up that, considering it usually all melts within a week. I was not wrong again, it sucked. Went from 7-13 inches, to 6-10 to finish to 2 inches. Maybe 2-4 more with lake effect if we are lucky.

Even the lake effect weak sauce.  One of the bigger storm fails of all time. I couldn’t give two shits about wind and cold.

The fact that there isn’t even anything to look at in fantasy model ads insult to injury.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Barely was able to tack on another 0.2”, so the final snowfall total at ORD for this event now stands at 1.3”.

On 0.09" liquid.  Pretty sad.

But enough to give Chicago its second calendar day snow of 1" in December for the first time since 2017.  Wait, that's sad too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, frostfern said:

Even the lake effect weak sauce.  One of the bigger storm fails of all time. I couldn’t give two shits about wind and cold.

The fact that there isn’t even anything to look at in fantasy model ads insult to injury.  

fwiw GRR thinks the lake effect will be pretty damn strong later today in their new AFD once the pressure gradient really kicks in

This storm is a fail for me because of the ridiculous cold.  We have snow, I have no idea how much, as it's blowing and drifting, windows frosted, can't see out.  (I thought these new windows were thermopane.)  Our local NWS isn't reporting how much snow.  Maybe 2 inches, maybe 4.  I can't stand outside long enough to tolerate the windchill to tell.  The ground is completely covered, drifts everywhere.  A couple of feet high along the road where the snow plow went through.  

Latest report:

-4°F

-20°C

Humidity 65%
Wind Speed NW 18 G 29 mph
Barometer 30.23 in
Dewpoint -13°F (-25°C)
Visibility 7.00 mi
Wind Chill -26°F (-32°C)
Last update 23 Dec 3:59 am CST

I woke up about 20 minutes ago, looked at radar and thought “well, the lake effect event must be a bust”.

Then looked at current conditions and assumed blowing snow must be causing the observation below.

Turns out lake effect snow at -7 is the pixiest of dust but it is indeed coming down at a decent clip. Winds help reduce visibility at times. Not true blizzard yet but if winds pick up later…yikes. Ratios must be garbage because it doesn’t look like we’ve gotten much new snow. Drifts will make it impossible to tell how much snow we really get. 

Current conditions at

South Bend International Airport (KSBN)

Lat: 41.71°NLon: 86.32°WElev: 801ft.
nsn.png

Heavy Snow and Breezy

-7°F

-22°C

Humidity 79%
Wind Speed SW 21 G 33 mph
Barometer 29.72 in (1008.3 mb)
Dewpoint -12°F (-24°C)
Visibility 0.25 mi
Wind Chill -32°F (-36°C)
Last update

23 Dec 6:54 am EST

Good afd from IWX

SHORT TERM...(Today and Tonight)
Issued at 455 AM EST Fri Dec 23 2022

The upper level low`s main vort max lobe moves away from the area
into this morning taking the main surface low pressure system into
southern Canada. Additionally, trajectories become more westerly
allowing for a transition into lake effect snow being the main snow
event. With it being so cold, the DGZ is basically into the ground
with lake enhanced omega residing above the DGZ. This factor of the
cross-hair method being slightly off as well as the strong winds
being able to rip apart the snow flakes should help provide a
ceiling to our lake effect snow amounts. Additional snowfall amounts
will be the greatest downstream of the lake reaching 8 to 12
additional inches of snow there from now through Saturday night.
Thereafter, the lake effect snowfall looks to be the main snowfall
event through at least much of Sunday. The snow paired with the
strong winds will help to lower visibility and so will hold onto the
blizzard warning for our lake effect area. One thing to watch for
today will be that additional counties could be added on the eastern
edge of the blizzard warning.

Another hazard today will be the strong gusty winds. Wind gusts will
likely be able to surpass 50 mph at their peak and that combined
with the powdery natured snow will allow for blowing and drifting of
snow as well as lowered visibility. This will impact the N-S roads
the most with drifting snow, but travel across all roads will need
to use caution where visibility does become lowered.

Temperatures this morning have dropped below zero away from the lake
influence. With the very strong winds expected to reach between 40
and 50 mph today, wind chills will be able to reach into the upper
20s and low 30s below zero. This is wind chill warning criteria.

Maybe 2” fell here south of STL?! I was hoping for more but not expecting it.

Full tundra/Dakotas effect here. Like someone poured a giant bowl of sugar on the ground. I doubt a single flake is left on any roof given the wind last night.. and somehow that and the cold knocked out the Internet and phones at the local hospital

-6F right now and wind chill is -27F.

1 minute ago, mimillman said:

Chicago is normally good at plowing but it’s one of those weird in between amounts where plows aren’t effective and it’s too cold for salt to work. So they’re just taking the approach of not doing anything.

Either that or we have no money. Probably a combo

I’m sure continued tax increases will do the trick :rolleyes:

Not sure I’d call this a winter storm but definitely has that frigid look outside. WGN weather app has my “feels like” at -40. Worried about my chickens out back 

3 minutes ago, King James said:

I’m sure continued tax increases will do the trick :rolleyes:

Not sure I’d call this a winter storm but definitely has that frigid look outside. WGN weather app has my “feels like” at -40. Worried about my chickens out back 

I am actually optimistic about the clipper next week and think we have a shot at a couple inches 

5 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

fwiw GRR thinks the lake effect will be pretty damn strong later today in their new AFD once the pressure gradient really kicks in

Im on the northeast fringe with this wind direction and its too cold to really accumulate anyways.  Yea, the wind and pixie dust can really reduce visibility and make things treacherous, but I don’t care.  Its all the misery of winter with none of the fun because the actual snowfall is a nothingburger.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Im on the northeast fringe with this wind direction and its too cold to really accumulate anyways.  Yea, the wind and pixie dust can really reduce visibility and make things treacherous, but I don’t care.  Its all the misery of winter with none of the fun because the actual snowfall is a nothingburger.

GRR has you in the 12-18" total by the time it ends.  I wouldn't give up yet.  Stacking pixie dust here at a reasonable rate.  Drifting is starting and when the winds pick up it will be crazy outside for sure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Imneversatisfied said:

Man I was only 3 yrs old. I do remember snowier winters in the late 80s to 90s as a kid here tho. Btw it's now finally puking flakes and it's time for bed. Hoping to wake up to atleast a few inches ( that's what she said)

Interesting. Winters of the 2000s/10s were far snowier that the 1990s in SE MI.

• Like 1