Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

3 minutes ago, AppsRunner said:

I haven't looked at any guidance tonight but DEN recorded 0.12" in an hour while the temperature was -9F so clearly this storm will overperform.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it snow at that temperature before to be honest, have to admit I think the coldest I’ve ever seen snow fall was around 10°

9 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

GRR held off on expanding any headlines, I think they might in the morning

I think they’re sitting in a good spot now, I could see an upgrade to blizzard warning if the low continues to deepen more rapidly earlier than expected. Overnight shift or mid morning shift would likely pull the trigger on that. Or if they don’t they will just as the winds begin to die down and the snow rates drop Friday evening - in somewhat typical GRR fashion :rolleyes:. One thing to note is (Bill Marino GRR AFD) mentions the uncertainty with 3+ hour of 1/4 mile visibility/less in the WSW zones, but I would say that it’s close enough to more than likely going to happen in the Eastern zones just as much if not more as the SLP deepens over the east side of the state. 

All headline verbiage and technical jargon aside. It’s going to feel like a blizzard.

• Like 1

Euro trending a little more amped in recent runs :nerdsmiley:

1388963454_ezgif.com-gif-maker(16).thumb.gif.4763a0e27d080003bc86d1dbf2116a45.gif

I am really worried about the wind from parts of lower MI, IN, and OH into southern Ontario, northwestern PA and western/northern New York. You have a 5 standard deviation low followed by a 3.5 standard deviation high, very strong cold air advection, with flow funneling down the Great Lakes basin. 

ecmwf-deterministic-conus-mslp_norm_anom-1840000.thumb.png.a1b54acb75b02946151a7c00496ca4a9.png

Gusts could reach 60+ mph in a large portion of that corridor, with up to 75mph downwind of Lake Erie into the Buffalo and Rochester areas. Huge impacts in parts of that corridor, especially downwind of the lakes where lake enhancement will occur. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1