Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

6 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Given we’ve seen this trend for over a day now and we continue to approach the event start, would have liked to have seen some reversal for the 0z suite, after the 18z suite stopped the bleeding. Instead we got the opposite, and things have continued to trend worse.

Game, set & match.

Was talking about the Euro qpf specifically.

I'll take the over on 1.7" at ORD, btw.

Winter Storm Warning, heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 7 to 10 inches. Winds gusting as high as 60 mph. Wed-Sat

Most of the snow will be tomorrow into tomorrow night with east winds, but then the winds kick in out of the NW Thurs-Sat with light snows, and ground blizzard conditions at times. I'd imagine there could be near hurricane force winds along the eastern shores of Lake Michigan as the low bombs out over Lower MI.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baum said:

oddly, i still think this will be a memorable event and NWS offices will have been justified in the early lead time watches.

this argument was not helped overnight, i see. Good news is they can run with a WWA and most folks won't think much about it. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

It atleast made a bit more sense with upper level features and slp sliding up from near Detroit to the thumb etc.. 

Will be interesting to see if the other global models (NAM may never get a clue) start to catch on to a 06z GFS solution by the 12z runs.

Would need blizzard warnings across all of Lower MI for that, easily.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Powerball said:

BTW, DTW finally issued a Winter Storm Watch for all of its CWA. They're hitting the blizzard wording fairly strong too.

Didn't get too specific with amounts, other than calling for the potential of at least 5-6".

Lansing up to traverse looking good for a foot plus and a blizzard. Rare blizzard conditions. I'd imagine dtw will be closed for a few hours due to the wind. I'd hate to be traveling for the holiday, yikes.

15 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Will be interesting to see if the other global models (NAM may never get a clue) start to catch on to a 06z GFS solution by the 12z runs.

Would need blizzard warnings across all of Lower MI for that, easily.

It wouldn't be the first time in the past ten years or so. If that SLP track etc ( upper level features ) hangs on watch totals go up all the way back to Chicago in future model runs. 972mb and dropping on the thumb I'll take. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Lansing up to traverse looking good for a foot plus and a blizzard. Rare blizzard conditions. I'd imagine dtw will be closed for a few hours due to the wind. I'd hate to be traveling for the holiday, yikes.

It would be 12+ from just south of the border on north. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Powerball said:

BTW, DTW finally issued a Winter Storm Watch for all of its CWA. They're hitting the blizzard wording fairly strong too.

Didn't get too specific with amounts, other than calling for the potential of at least 5-6".

I seem that before I went to work I took a screenshot because it’s not often they do that. Did some reading on 55-60 knot wind or more maybe mixing down too?

• Like 1