• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

Funny to see the local news alerts backtrack on yesterdays forecast totals. ABC7 Alert: Significant changes to our winter storm forecast! Tune in at 10pm.

Had family trying to reschedule Friday holiday plans after yesterdays headlines. And I’m talking about a 2 mile trip across town. Imagine by then it will be very cold but manageable conditions.

Question becomes, what happens if the Euro goes with the GFS? And to a smaller (but more likely) degree, what do we do if the Euro kinda ticks west to a middle zone between non-GFS 0z guidance and the GFS? Places Chicago in a tricky spot.

Edit: Adding to the trickiness is the GFS ENS almost doubling downtown Chicago QPF from the 18z run to ~0.5" through Saturday AM now.

Just now, Kaner88 said:

Question becomes, what happens if the Euro goes with the GFS? And to a smaller (but more likely) degree, what do we do if the Euro kinda ticks west to a middle zone between non-GFS 0z guidance and the GFS? Places Chicago in a tricky spot.

Winter Storm Warning for 3-7".

36 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

0z UKMET was probably the worse, for everyone, out of the 0z suite.

Much weaker and further east.

It’s an awful model regardless of it’s so called verification scores.   I think if I were forecasting based on what I’m seeing I’d go 5-9 for Chicagoland.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I'll post more thoughts soon but needless to say, this setup is a pretty sensitive one for Chicagoland and relatively small tweaks could make for a notably more impressive outcome in the area.

Forecasting this storm is going to give me a stroke before it ever even gets here. I’ll take what we can get but it’s painful being so close right now.

Edit: Adding to the trickiness is the GFS ENS almost doubling downtown Chicago QPF from the 18z run to ~0.5" through Saturday AM now.

Given the look of the rest of 0z guidance (Including the GDPS), it’s probably safe to toss the GFS/GEFS…Unless some other guidance shifts that way, or the GFS trends away from the idea.

7 minutes ago, TheNiño said:

Forecasting this storm is going to give me a stroke before it ever even gets here. I’ll take what we can get but it’s painful being so close right now.

lol I hear ya.  As others have alluded to, models are having some fits with the handling of the surface low and just where the low really starts to deepen explosively.  This is going to have ramifications for areas near the fringes of the bigger snows.

I saw that attempt at a loop GFS, just like the Euro once had. I think what that loop means is the model recognized the main shot of energy and allowed it to take over from junior out ahead. 

Maybe it will happen that way or maybe there will be more of an organized low coming out of Texas. Might be almost nowcasting the details. Models are still losing the western center after it drops into TX. Isn't there a general tendency for models to underestimate snow potential in the Mississippi valley region? Seems that way over the past few seasons. There was that recent winter with the record snowfalls in Moline, La Crosse and MSP and it seemed like half that snow was not in the forecasts. Was that winter 20-21? (no it was 2018-19 time flies)

Although the synoptic setup for this storm is different than the January 26, 1978 blizzard, the end product sort of looks quite similar in a number of respects.

I wouldn't bank on 100+ winds on Lake Erie, but the overall wind footprint should be similar to that 1978 storm.  Don't be fooled by the weaker surface low in this case.  There's a stronger surface high than in 1978, and so the pressure gradient is actually very comparable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

Considering the fact that a few nights ago it dropped a few feet here I'm gonna wager against that outcome.

At least he has the excuse that the storm is within 2-3 days now.

A global model shouldn't be that bad at 2-3 days in theory.  In theory.

Initial thought was that it almost has to be an overcorrection.  Right?  Lol

Given we’ve seen this trend for over a day now and we continue to approach the event start, would have liked to have seen some reversal for the 0z suite, after the 18z suite stopped the bleeding. Instead we got the opposite, and things have continued to trend worse.

Game, set & match.

It's funny, because often times a surface low track from southern IN up through Ohio and toward Detroit will produce just fine in Chicago.  

Then you take that January 1978 storm.  The surface low got so far east (like eastern TN) before turning almost due north and passing around Cleveland, and that thing produces a foot of snow in Chicago.  And it was system snow, not really attributable to lake enhancement.

I think a big issue in this case is the delayed development.  The 1978 storm started bombing much further south.  I would say if we can get the surface low to start deepening rapidly in the Ohio Valley about 6 hours sooner (and maybe just a few hours for LOT's Indiana counties) that it would lead to a substantially snowier outcome in the area.