Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

6 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Can you image the range of model solutions we'd be forced to endure with the '78 mega-merger scenario :wacko:

Or the board crashing because EC Weenies were already salivating at Feb 5th on LR runs?

I remember the east coast 78 blizz. I was in Philly when it hit but had to go back home to DC.. Woke up thinking not going anywhere and then my crazy ass uncle showed up. Ugh. So yeah I got to spend a part of that crawling on i95 back to DC. The snow let up just before we hit Baltimore.. Thankfully PD I made up for it a year later.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Baum said:

oddly, i still think this will be a memorable event and NWS offices will have been justified in the early lead time watches.

I'm definitely still impressed with the intense cold blowing in.  Gonna be pretty wicked out there Thu eve with 40mph gusts and temps pushing -10.  

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

I remember the east coast 78 blizz. I was in Philly when it hit but had to go back home to DC.. Woke up thinking not going anywhere and then my crazy ass uncle showed up. Ugh. So yeah I got to spend a part of that crawling on i95 back to DC. The snow let up just before we hit Baltimore.. Thankfully PD I made up for it a year later.

Sounds memorable, lol. 

Here ya go (from IWX's update. Nice wind vector for yby)

Additional snow accumulations are expected near
  Lake Michigan through Sunday in west-northwest wind favored
  snow belts.

2 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Sounds memorable, lol. 

Here ya go (from IWX's update. Nice wind vector for yby)

Additional snow accumulations are expected near
  Lake Michigan through Sunday in west-northwest wind favored
  snow belts.

Thankfully back then the big storms were hitting and kinda followed me to the coast and thus see 87-88, 89, etc. Not gonna lie but part of me will take the wind but with 18+ amounts to see how people respond around here vs back there. 

1 hour ago, sbnwx85 said:

Hoping everyone is preparing for possible power outages with this system and frigid cold...even areas that don't get a lot of snow. We lost power during the November 5th wind event with winds between 60 and 70 mph. This event won't be as strong but with the cold temps any power outages could become a big problem if you can't keep warm. 

Had a 2 day outage in S. Bend after the ice storm in '02. Totally sucked and the cold following was mild by these standards. Ohio in '78 outages were a matter of life and death. Watching that youtube vid and that one guy living in a mobile home said he hadn't lost power, but wind was blowing snow right thru the seals on his windows and furnace wasn't able to keep it warm inside. He made a make-shift huddle zone inside a closet and used a candle in a can to keep that little room in the 50's. With outside clothes he was able to survive that way. And again, his power wasn't even out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

It has a lot to do with a wave that rounds the trough and amplifies while in the Plains, with the effects carrying through the Midwest and into the Great Lakes. This leads to the elongated SLP it has across those areas as well, and the further north look as well...Before the whole thing finally takes off across Michigan/Ontario.

CODNEXLAB-FORECAST-2022122018-GFS-US-500-avort-33-66-100.gif.361e9f50cfd72a4c6a994c86924689bf.gif

I'm still a bit suspicious of how far north the 00z NAM is with the primary surface low during its main development though given the location of the strongest upper level diffluence presented in the model (and also in the 18z Euro, which was the more impressive solution).

Such a difference could make or a break a major storm for many areas, particularly in Michigan/NW OH/N IN.

• Like 1