Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 27th Miller B nor’easter threat

George001

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

CMC nods to ECMWF with a deeper trough and the TPV trying to nudge into the backside of said trough

gem_z500_vort_us_fh132_trend.thumb.gif.c7a4a9370ae854e6eed4c92ae0703fb3.gif

Doesnt quite get it done this run but damn that’s a big improvement. If the main system slows down enough that the 3rd piece in Montana phases we could see some crazy runs the next few days. Very excited to see the Euro tonight, good start to the 0z suite even if it’s not a hit yet.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, George001 said:

Doesnt quite get it done this run but damn that’s a big improvement. If the main system slows down enough that the 3rd piece in Montana phases we could see some crazy runs the next few days. Very excited to see the Euro tonight, good start to the 0z suite even if it’s not a hit yet.

George for once. I hope you are right with this one. Let's just hope that you're raw excitement and enthusiasm will get this one done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

We need to start seeing improvements soon 

The NAO going positive and the PNA relaxing are not helping us in this case. 

This seems to be the year/season already where nothing helps. In fact it’s just the opposite lol, where everything lines up to sabotage any chances…we back to the 80’s. What a horrible thing that is. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

This seems to be the year/season already where nothing helps. In fact it’s just the opposite lol, where everything lines up to sabotage any chances…we back to the 80’s. What a horrible thing that is. 

Ha yeah. I feel like we are in the late 90s again. 5 below average snowfall seasons in 6 years. Extremely warm with one absolute ratter.

33 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Late 90’s have nothing on the mid to late 80’s…but ya they were both Horrid periods. Looks like we back to that shit. :axe:

This period is comparable to the late 80s/early 90s for me in the sense that I have had 4 consecutive subpar seasons..a fifth this year would beat it. However, 88-92 was worse from a snow/season perspective, since it had 3 ratters with under 30". I have managed to avoid that this time. Just moderately below average seasons strung together.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Ha yeah. I feel like we are in the late 90s again. 5 below average snowfall seasons in 6 years. Extremely warm with one absolute ratter.

Yea, late 90's probably a better comparison for me, too...more similar to the current stretch in that while there were no true ratters, it was still several more moderately shitty years in a row.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm ready for el nino, too. Its not overrated when you are going on a fifth consecutive season of suck. Deck needs shuffling from my perspective.

Given the previous 2 El Ninos sucked donkey balls....I'm not convinced it's the answer. Sometimes you just whiff on a decent pattern.

Surprised we only got the minor 12/11 event out of this, but that's the way it goes sometimes. We've gotten blasted on worse looks

Dec9-19_2022.gif

• Thanks 3

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Given the previous 2 El Ninos sucked donkey balls....I'm not convinced it's the answer. Sometimes you just whiff on a decent pattern.

Surprised we only got the minor 12/11 event out of this, but that's the way it goes sometimes. We've gotten blasted on worse looks

Dec9-19_2022.gif

I disagree. I would still rather take my chances with el nino....one of those two seasons was hardly an el nino, and the other one was more like a la nina. I personally feel that this cold, la nina like Pacific feel has been going on longer than the recent stretch of la nina seasons...which makes sense give that were in the -PDO portion of the multidecadal cycle.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I disagree. I would still rather take my chances with el nino....one of those two seasons was hardly an el nino, and the other one was more like a la nina. I personally feel that this cold, la nina like Pacific feel has been going on longer than the recent stretch of la nina seasons...which makes sense give that were in the -PDO portion of the multidecadal cycle.

Maybe...but the last time we were in a deep -PDO was 2007-2013 and we were making naked snow angels with SWFEs being passed out like halloween candy.

I know the impulse is to need a scapegoat that is larger than just nuances.....such as "there is just something larger I cannot see or put my finger on, but I'm convinced it's there and we need to get rid of it"......but when we're grasping at not-fully-empirical phantoms like that, sometimes it means we actually just succumbed to some misfortune just as we were fortunate in some previous periods. We want further explanation when sometime it doesn't require it.

Now, being the skeptic that I am on many things....I can't prove there isn't some nefarious "Screw SNE" underlying demon lurking in the Pacific that only a robust El Nino can flush away.....but I'd want to see how it works before being convinced it's there. Missing a firehose snowstorm by 1-2C on 12/16.....getting some weird exotic phase on 1/17 last winter to cost us a legit KU event, etc, etc. We can go on and on, but a lot of our misses don't seem to be the result of large scale underlying mechanics.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Maybe...but the last time we were in a deep -PDO was 2007-2013 and we were making naked snow angels with SWFEs being passed out like halloween candy.

I know the impulse is to need a scapegoat that is larger than just nuances.....such as "there is just something larger I cannot see or put my finger on, but I'm convinced it's there and we need to get rid of it"......but when we're grasping at not-fully-empirical phantoms like that, sometimes it means we actually just succumbed to some misfortune just as we were fortunate in some previous periods. We want further explanation when sometime it doesn't require it.

Now, being the skeptic that I am on many things....I can't prove there isn't some nefarious "Screw SNE" underlying demon lurking in the Pacific that only a robust El Nino can flush away.....but I'd want to see how it works before being convinced it's there. Missing a firehose snowstorm by 1-2C on 12/16.....getting some weird exotic phase on 1/17 last winter to cost us a legit KU event, etc, etc. We can go on and on, but a lot of our misses don't seem to be the result of large scale underlying mechanics.

I never said that....you know yourself that a weak el nino is out money ENSO phase.

I was speaking more on a personal level because the last several years have been fine for most of SNE TBH...especially your area.

But I am not "out" on this season. I still think that there will be to hell to pay at some point in January.

• Like 1