Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 22-23, 2022: Warm Rain to Arctic Chill

WxUSAF

12 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

4.8/-9 now for MBY which is also the low.

Lows at the airports so far:

BWI: 7

RIC: 9

IAD: 7

DCA: 9 (!!!)

Well I'll be... we're, for once, actually at the least hitting the forecasted lows with a bit of wind. We are usually end up a few degrees above forecast... nice.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, George BM said:

Well I'll be... we're, for once, actually at the least hitting the forecasted lows with a bit of wind. We are usually end up a few degrees above forecast... nice.:thumbsup:

DCA struggles obviously in radiational cooling situations. This is mostly CAA, so temps are a lot more even inside and outside the UHI.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

DCA struggles obviously in radiational cooling situations. This is mostly CAA, so temps are a lot more even inside and outside the UHI.

Very true. I'm actually talking about the lows areawide in general though. Ex: IAD forecast low was 7F. With wind we'd usually end up at ~9F give or take a degree (courtesy of mixing). I'm just happy to be fully performing with something other than heat lol.

• Like 1

Speaking of that (chart two posts up) - the charts that used to be on Weather Underground site used to be *so* much better - they had the 20-minute granularity instead of the lame 1-hour granularity, and it had the dot-plots for the gusts, which were much easier to read and intuitive.   Also if you scratched out the view to a week or a month, it still showed the gust data, which made it very interesting when looking back at storm events.

I wish I had saved a screenshot to show - thought I did, but can't find one.

Anyone know if there's any place to go to get those?   Or am I stuck with manual data downloads and my own charting?

TIA

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Currently -1.0/-11.5 with clouds and an occasional flurry whipping by. Wind WSW at 9 for a wind chill of -16 degrees. Low was -2.4 degrees back at 4:45 am, temp rose a bit when clouds filled back in from the west. Highest wind here was 40 mph.

BTW that places it in 3rd spot for coldest for the date, sliding in front of 2000's 1 degree but behind 1983's -3 and 1989's -8 readings. 

• Like 1

Car thermometer reads 6, but did not start up car to read it. Extrapolating from surrounding WU sites, I’ll head canon that I reached 5. 
I had an old-fashioned thermometer but it doesn’t stay put in its brace. I really should invest in some glitzy digital product. I’m so behind the times, even the classified ads are simply vague receding shapes on the horizon.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic