Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 22-23, 2022: Warm Rain to Arctic Chill

WxUSAF

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

NAM brought the flizzard back for most. It shows rain on the precip maps. But that is snow. I think the majority of us are going to enjoy tomorrow morning. Gonna be a rare event here. 

I agree man. Was just looking at the 01z HRRR and it brings a pretty healthy band, at least down this way. Would be nice to wake up surprised. Regardless temps are gonna be wild to see bottom out. 

• Like 1

I wish I had posted my notes from Tuesday  that DC area would go 55-60 before frontal and Norfolk 70.  
I’m  up to 52 after 46/47 most if afternoon 

Bob Ryan used to have in his  Almanac a weather event for every day.  One was “chickens froze in their tracks” and might we have that here???????

It will be a Great Obs thread posting the hourly drops.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

I wish I had posted my notes from Tuesday  that DC area would go 55-60 before frontal and Norfolk 70.  
I’m  up to 52 after 46/47 most if afternoon 

Bob Ryan used to have in his  Almanac a weather event for every day.  One was “chickens froze in their tracks” and might we have that here???????

It will be a Great Obs thread posting the hourly drops.

I miss Bob Ryan. And George/Jim Vance/Wendy as well. NBC4 was THE SHIT in the DC area for decades. 

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

More fun climo stats.  There have been 68 days in DCA's climate record with a 40+ spread between high and low temps.  Most of those are in the distant past.  There have only been 5 cases in the past 40 years:

• 3/23/1994 - 83/39
  • 1/19/1996 - 62/20 (the Potomac flood final push)
  • 12/22/1998 - 67/24
  • 4/8/2000 - 78/38
  • 1/13/2018 - 62/21

We might be able to add to this list tomorrow if we can hold the 50s until midnight.

And MN might  not some of those be cold mornings but  a much milder afternoon as opposed to arctic blast plummeting the high?

I wonder if NWS has top 10 temperature drops for 1,3,6,12,24 hours. 

8 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

And Minmight not dime if those be cold lowsbut a much milder afternoon as opposed to arctic blast plummeting the high.

I wonder if NWS has top 10 temperature drops for 1,3,6,12,24 hours. 

They probably do.  The mesoscale models aren’t putting out massive short-term temp drops, though.  Partially because we are going to step down to the low 40s before the front, and partially because the low level cold always takes it’s sweet time crossing the Apps. In the end, I think the daily number will look most impressive.

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Ha. Yeah. The greatest cold blast in Christmas history.

I was driving on the old Choptank River bridge around noon Christmas Day and it was about 20 with winds right up the river, most whitecaps I’ve ever seen on it, and as winds cranked to 50 the spray starting freezing on the road deck and they closed it and super salted it and reopened.  I never saw that before or after. 

8 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

I was driving on the old Choptank River bridge around noon Christmas Day and it was about 20 with winds right up the river, most whitecaps I’ve ever seen on it, and as winds cranked to 50 the spray starting freezing on the road deck and they closed it and super salted it and reopened.  I never saw that before or after. 

That is insane. I love the Choptank. Best crabs on earth come from that river. And no one can even think about changing my mind on that.  I am a torn individual. I live in the VA mountains during the winter. Which is usually amazing. I live in OC during the summer. Which is usually amazing. I got convinced as a young guy that there really isnt a better place to live than the Mid Atlantic. We have real seasons. All of us live 2 hours within the mountains or beach. All of us can get up in the morning and visit some of the finest museums in the world before noon. Then decide to be at the beach by dinner time. It is an amazing place to live. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Made it to Deep Creek. I70/68 were well treated and tons of plows out. Didn't see any snow on the side of the road until just past Hagerstown. Had to shovel a couple inches of wet snow pack with a crust on top and bust up 1-2" of ice that was underneath from two weeks ago. 

A little concerned we won't be leaving on time to head west in the morning. Depends on how they treat the roads. Everything is just wet so far but some slick spots. Not gonna push it and just go with the flow. No way we will be on the road prior to the front coming through around 4AM. 

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic