• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 22-23, 2022: Warm Rain to Arctic Chill

WxUSAF

The potential for a flash freeze with even a few flurries around DC tomorrow could cause mayhem.  

We had a serious flash freeze in Ohio (and other states in the midwest) during the blizzard of 78.  The temp drop was 30+ F over an hour or so ivo our house.  Coupled with wind gusts in excess of 65mph, the flash freeze made travel nearly impossible.  Even where the wind blew the snow clear, the combination of wind and ice made plowing and travel impossible.  We won't have the 12+ inches of snow around here, but just a dusting could be enough.

So lets project the potential impact across the WDC metropolitan area on the day before Christmas Eve?  Tomorrow is going to be a day to stay home...  

38 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

More fun climo stats.  There have been 68 days in DCA's climate record with a 40+ spread between high and low temps.  Most of those are in the distant past.  There have only been 5 cases in the past 40 years:

• 3/23/1994 - 83/39
  • 1/19/1996 - 62/20 (the Potomac flood final push)
  • 12/22/1998 - 67/24
  • 4/8/2000 - 78/38
  • 1/13/2018 - 62/21

We might be able to add to this list tomorrow if we can hold the 50s until midnight.

Very cool.

Arctic fronts have always resulted - and will always result - in big temp swings in winter. Neat to see this one join the ranks of some of the more notable ones.

1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

I’m up to 1.20” of liquid for the event.  Still 34° with plenty of snowpack left.

Yeah I am good as well. Had a high of 34 today. Back down to freezing currently and the back roads are quite dangerous. Getting snow today saved us from the torch. My only wish was a white Christmas. And that is guaranteed now. About an inch and half of snowpack left. It survived quite well. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Demeter said:

I am interested to know the thoughts around how much of this rain will dry up before the flash freeze. I have a lot of decent flooding in my yard, and I would assume the same of others. I don’t see this drying up as much as it normally would. 

I think some people are going to be surprised by the flash freeze. Tons of liquid fell in our region. Everything is saturated. All of the brine and salt has washed away. And no chance all of it dries up before turning to concrete. Less traveled roads will have some terrible spots on them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kleimax said:

Towson jackpot 

I thought Towson was near Baltimore not Frederick?

Anyways. I dont ever remember a "Wind Chill Advisory" being something. Is this a new thing from the NWS or is my memory failing as bad as my wife says it is?

Edit: By the way. I am freshly home from my company Christmas party and quite hammered. So I will probably be annoying as hell the next 4 days. Those that might be offended should take a look at the ignore feature on this site and put me on it. 

Wind Chill Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
725 PM EST Thu Dec 22 2022

MDZ003>006-507-VAZ027>031-501-505-WVZ052-053-230830-
/O.CON.KLWX.WC.Y.0011.221223T1800Z-221224T1500Z/
Washington-Frederick MD-Carroll-Northern Baltimore-
Northwest Harford-Shenandoah-Frederick VA-Page-Warren-Clarke-
Northern Fauquier-Western Loudoun-Berkeley-Jefferson-
725 PM EST Thu Dec 22 2022

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM FRIDAY TO
10 AM EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Very cold wind chills expected. Wind chills as low as
  15 below zero.
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I thought Towson was near Baltimore not Frederick?

Anyways. I dont ever remember a "Wind Chill Advisory" being something. Is this a new thing from the NWS or is my memory failing as bad as my wife says it is?

Wind Chill Watch/Advisory/Warning is a long standing product. Prior to today, here is the last time and wind chill product was issued by LWX:

phenomena_WC__significance_W__e_all__edate_2022-12-21___r_t__dpi_100.thumb.png.017eceba8ea3680657ec324d3270833d.pngphenomena_WC__significance_Y__e_all__edate_2022-12-21___r_t__dpi_100.thumb.png.24b56d6d7557d7a95b6f26b99f242763.png

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

More fun climo stats.  There have been 68 days in DCA's climate record with a 40+ spread between high and low temps.  Most of those are in the distant past.  There have only been 5 cases in the past 40 years:

• 3/23/1994 - 83/39
  • 1/19/1996 - 62/20 (the Potomac flood final push)
  • 12/22/1998 - 67/24
  • 4/8/2000 - 78/38
  • 1/13/2018 - 62/21

We might be able to add to this list tomorrow if we can hold the 50s until midnight.

it doesn't seem like that'll be an issue - it's torching rn.  55F at DCA and 53F here up in Tenley.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic