Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

4 minutes ago, PWMan said:

I've been struck by that too. There haven't been any freak shorts-and-t-shirts days, but we've had lots of 40s for highs and the nights have been very mild. Even during our "cold" stretches here when we've managed to get some snow, we've rotted at right around freezing. 

We've been so cloudy this month....rad cooling has been pretty non-existent on so many nights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWMan said:

I've been struck by that too. There haven't been any freak shorts-and-t-shirts days, but we've had lots of 40s for highs and the nights have been very mild. Even during our "cold" stretches here when we've managed to get some snow, we've rotted at right around freezing. 

Month's high was 46 on the first.  Since then, only the 41 on the 18th has gotten past the 30s.  Currently maxima are running 5.7° AN and minima are 12.8° AN.   Clouds

Warmest winter in recorded (since 1892 in Worcester) history? And next year is supposed to be a Nino, so expect another AN winter (probably not as extreme as this, though). This year might pass for a winter in the UK? No really extreme heat but a near-constant run of 40s in the day and near-freezing nights, plus lots of cloudiness.

1 hour ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Warmest winter in recorded (since 1892 in Worcester) history? And next year is supposed to be a Nino, so expect another AN winter (probably not as extreme as this, though). This year might pass for a winter in the UK? No really extreme heat but a near-constant run of 40s in the day and near-freezing nights, plus lots of cloudiness.

ORH will need about a +4 February to beat out 2001-2002 for warmest winter. Doable but not easy after the first few days will be putting up monster cold departures. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Pope, qqomega and torch tiger all bless this post 

I know Torch Tiger and qqomega genuinely like warmer weather, the Pope I’m not sure about. I honestly think the Pope is just calling it as he sees it, and he believed we would have a really mild winter based on his observations of geese. We shit on the geese thing, but they helped him make what so far has been a spot on forecast. This winter has been quite mild, and I really am starting to think there is something to the idea that behavior of animals like geese in the late fall/early winter is telling. More telling than looking at long range models and trying to extrapolate based on the good ol “alphabet soup” (ssts, pdo, amo, enso, soi, epo, nao, ace, etc…..)

• Like 1