Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

8 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Biggest harvest since the 50s this year. IFW biologists must be happy. Gonna have to deal with the coyotes next, not enough people hunting them. Cougars and wolves would help. 

I try to take them any chance i get, There tough to hunt, Best is to bait them at night.

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I try to take them any chance i get, There tough to hunt, Best is to bait them at night.

folks around here do it on the ice at night and hop out with the AR like it’s Nam lol. I don’t hunt but appreciate folks like yourself doing your part to help manage wildlife. I’ll stop before i get told to take it to banter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

folks around here do it on the ice at night and hop out with the AR like it’s Nam lol. I don’t hunt but appreciate folks like yourself doing your part to help manage wildlife. I’ll stop before i get told to take it to banter. 

I used to just hear them, now I see them in the day, twice on a main road, they must be getting bold.

17 hours ago, dryslot said:

The deer will take a big hit with these conditions by the coyote's.

Fortunately for the deer, they had mostly wide open access to food and travel thru 40% of the critical period.  Stake is at 23" here after yesterday's not-quite-an-inch, and there's probably 7"+ SWE, so the sinking depth for little hooves is less than with a usual pack of that depth but with half the water.  Some big fluffy storms next month and the deer would be in big trouble.

Had maybe an hour of sun early then the clouds rolled in.  This month will easily be our warmest January and may be the cloudiest as well.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It's March basically. Between the temps, plants coming up, and birds happily chirping like it's late March...this is what it's been like. It's insane. It's not like we have had days in the 60s. Just mild with zero cold at all.

We might knock off January 1913 at ORH....we won't do it at BDL, PVD, BOS, or MQE though.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We might knock off January 1913 at ORH....we won't do it at BDL, PVD, BOS, or MQE though.

Actually noticed Jan 1913 is missing a few days of data at ORH....probably why they have a shot to break it and the others don't.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I accidentally threw one of those into my great aunt’s inground pool when I was a kid…she initially lost her shit, but the liner was okay. lol

I remember playing those at several friends houses . I remember several injuries to hands and feet , but never anything on the heads. Did someone die from them at some point?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Usually in these torch winter months we have some big time warm days. The thing about this month...it's just been continuously mild, especially at night. 

I've been struck by that too. There haven't been any freak shorts-and-t-shirts days, but we've had lots of 40s for highs and the nights have been very mild. Even during our "cold" stretches here when we've managed to get some snow, we've rotted at right around freezing.