Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

To be fair, I grew up in Southern and Central New England and geese are here year round.  They are just the tougher geese, from further North, this time of year.

Lol. You guys are dense. “Birds fly south, blah blah blah.” No. But the point is really  just as simple. You find animals, insects, whatever…wherever their food is readily available. Hypothesis: if the ground is snow covered and rivers, lakes, ponds frozen over, I should see no geese, bc their primary sources of food would be unavailable. If they stick around, they die. I’m in an area that Jan 29th is usually pretty shitty for geese. But they’re around, —lots of em—bc well, it’s been a lot warmer and less snowy than average. They can easily get to their food. That’s it. Boom. Mind blowing…

I’m not saying the geese leave the region every winter. Hell they can probably do just fine out on the cape, or southern RI/CT, every winter, most of the season. 

1 minute ago, tunafish said:

Goose, the band, is actually pretty terrible, no matter what people tell you.

43°/19° today - nice early March diurnal. 

March is like the longest weather month, it seems. We get like 6 months worth of March weather a year. Not just the cold months, but March weather days in April, May, and early June as well.

New England

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

Lol. You guys are dense. “Birds fly south, blah blah blah.” No. But the point is really  just as simple. You find animals, insects, whatever…wherever their food is readily available. Hypothesis: if the ground is snow covered and rivers, lakes, ponds frozen over, I should see no geese, bc their primary sources of food would be unavailable. If they stick around, they die. I’m in an area that Jan 29th is usually pretty shitty for geese. But they’re around, —lots of em—bc well, it’s been a lot warmer and less snowy than average. They can easily get to their food. That’s it. Boom. Mind blowing…

I’m not saying the geese leave the region every winter. Hell they can probably do just fine out on the cape, or southern RI/CT, every winter, most of the season. 

It’s not a new phenomenon. 
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/do-canada-geese-still-fly-south-for-winter

Yea meso guidance over-correcting for climo again. This synoptic setup usually cooks us in the warmer months, but in winter we very often get socked in on low level northeast flow out ahead. Not the case today.

Some pockets radiated last night, but there’s not even a hint of a low level cold tuck drain. 

Very warm day on tap in SNE and sea coast NH. Widespread 50ish again.

44/42 in Newport RI already. 

10 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Temps will bust way low today throughout SNE if the sun holds. 850s are warm; much warmer than yesterday.

All short term guidance I looked at yesterday showed overcast. Well the sun is out; even here in Dover. Mostly cloudy, but far from socked in.

Another pack-eating day with dews rising to 40.

Meanwhile it’s cloudy all the way back into WNY and WPA.