Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

13 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Speaking of temps, I’d absolutely love that cold shot next weekend on the GFS. Can’t remember ever experiencing a below zero max. 

BDL's coldest max is 1° on Jan 15, 1957.  Most recent of 19 maxima <10° came on Jan 14, 2004 and 2/14/2016 topped out right at 10°. 
At my present location, coldest max is -8 on 1/15/2004 but the previous day's max of -7 was set the evening before at my 9 PM obs time - afternoon high was -11, with a sharp breeze.  Most recent subzero max is Jan 6, 2018, a high of -6, with wind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

BDL's coldest max is 1° on Jan 15, 1957.  Most recent of 19 maxima <10° came on Jan 14, 2004 and 2/14/2016 topped out right at 10°. 
At my present location, coldest max is -8 on 1/15/2004 but the previous day's max of -7 was set the evening before at my 9 PM obs time - afternoon high was -11, with a sharp breeze.  Most recent subzero max is Jan 6, 2018, a high of -6, with wind.

What about 1/21/19? That day had a high of 1F at ORH. Coldest max temp since Jan 1994. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

What about 1/21/19? That day had a high of 1F at ORH. Coldest max temp since Jan 1994. 

Missed that one - BDL's max was 5°, tied with Jan 8, 1968 for 4th place.  In addition to Jan 1957, they topped out at 3° on 1/4/81 (CAR max -16, coldest on record) and 4° on 12/31/62.  AT my NNJ home that day the temp was 5/-8 and the wind is either #1 or #2 (Nov 1950 the competitor) for strongest I've experienced, with large bare-limbed oaks ripped from semi-frozen ground. 
I think BDL failed to reach zero the afternoon of Christmas 1980 after a low of -13 but the 17° at 12:01 AM blocked that; I once read that BOS only reached zero that afternoon.  Norfolk CT, with 7 AM obs time, reported a max of -9 for 12/26, their coldest max by 3°.  First Ct Lake, also 7 AM obs, had a max of -24 for 12/26, and apart from MWN that plus Jan 15, 2004 on Mansfield are the coldest max's I've found for New England.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

It’s looking like 5-10 BN instead of 20-30.  Points south closer to 5, points north closer to 10 BN.

And two days tops, before AN rules again.

I'll take the 10 BN, haven't seen that since 12/11 and only twice since October 10th.  The only day with more than 12° BN since last February was on Fathers Day.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Lots of burly men with arms hanging out today. Flowers are coming up and my grass is greening. Not kidding lol.

Nice round today, little wet, but beautiful day. Shot the ball horribly, but it’s nice to be out there.

grass greening here as well, bulbs and dandelions popping up. This winter is dead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Nice round today, little wet, but beautiful day. Shot the ball horribly, but it’s nice to be out there.

grass greening here as well, bulbs and dandelions popping up. This winter is dead.

I played in Taunton several times . Played at Segregansett many times and then there was a public course where at about 180 yards out (on several holes ) a river or drainage system ran thru it . I took my grandfather there when I was about 20 and he was cursing every perfect drive he made took a bounce into the river , he was livid . May have been  Parker 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I played in Taunton several times . Played at Segregansett many times and then there was a public course where at about 180 yards out (on several holes ) a river or drainage system ran thru it . I took my grandfather there when I was about 20 and he was cursing every perfect drive he made took a bounce into the river , he was livid . May have been  Parker 

My wife’s mother was the function manager at Seggy for a long time, I got married there, and have played there a bunch.

Probably parker, they’ve improved it a lot over the years 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My wife’s mother was the function manager at Seggy for a long time, I got married there, and have played there a bunch.

Probably parker, they’ve improved it a lot over the years 

When I played at Parker I recall it was often very dry in the summer . I loved that tee box at Seggy where as a lefty If I were to “snap hook” it I would probably ruin a few members lunches as the ball goes Thru the glass at what looked like maybe  the dining Room. Anyway , nice to hear you got out. That feels like lifetimes ago I was there . Mid to late 90’s (Jr high n High school)

34 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

When I played at Parker I recall it was often very dry in the summer . I loved that tee box at Seggy where as a lefty If I were to “snap hook” it I would probably ruin a few members lunches as the ball goes Thru the glass at what looked like maybe  the dining Room. Anyway , nice to hear you got out. That feels like lifetimes ago I was there . Mid to late 90’s (Jr high n High school)

Seggy has some nice holes. There is one that comes right next to the little road that cuts through there, I’ve seen a few cars hit lol.

I’d take today for the rest of the winter if it’s not going to snow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Seggy has some nice holes. There is one that comes right next to the little road that cuts through there, I’ve seen a few cars hit lol.

Whats the slope rating and index at that course?

7 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Was surprised to see Newington NH, in around the Little Bay bridge, with more bare ground than snow cover already; and the geese out in force reclaiming lost ground. :lol: 

To be fair, I grew up in Southern and Central New England and geese are here year round.  They are just the tougher geese, from further North, this time of year.

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Love Seggy. Total feast or famine course. Some super easy holes mixed with some absolute bears.