Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

42 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Can't quite match that, but Jan 2014 had 3.77" here, 120% of average, plus temps 3.5° BN (11.1° mean) while getting only 5.1" SN, lowest of 25 Januarys.  For the Farmington co-op it was worse - 4.3", ranking 129th of 130 Januarys.  Sometimes even the best hitters swing and miss on a meatball hanging curve.

@powderfreakjust kicked the lift tower in Stowe.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

Just once I would like to see the NYC to BOS corridor destroyed with this.

Tip and I used to muse about how there’s a physical/plausible mechanism to get that area buried under 5-6 feet of snow (not sure 12 feet is plausible like on that pic)….but the return rate is prob like once every 500 or 1000 years…who knows the actual number. We saw a little preview in Feb 2015 for Boston when depths got around 40-50 inches (and even just south of Boston in 1996)…the snows in 1717 maybe were similar to 2015…possible they were a little higher but the records aren’t robust enough to say for certain. 

At some point it will happen but we have no idea of it happens in 10 years, 100 years, 1000 years or we wait until the next ice age in 5000 years or whatever. I think in a Holocene type climate it is plausible but just extremely rare. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

I think he was seeing precip inches close to his SN total that month, too.

Got something that only you and I would care about. Dropped a big locust on a conifer last week. I had never really taken note of it before so I took a picture and googled it. Port orford cedar! Only grow in southern Oregon. They grow to be 200 ft tall. Must have been a raging pac-jet  70 years ago :D

20230102_123616.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Got something that only you and I would care about. Dropped a big locust on a conifer last week. I had never really taken note of it before so I took a picture and googled it. Port orford cedar! Only grow in southern Oregon. They grow to be 200 ft tall. Must have been a raging pac-jet  70 years ago :D

20230102_123616.jpg

Wow. Do you think it was an attempt to use it as an ornamental? Or is it nowhere near an old homesite?

12 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Tip and I used to muse about how there’s a physical/plausible mechanism to get that area buried under 5-6 feet of snow (not sure 12 feet is plausible like on that pic)….but the return rate is prob like once every 500 or 1000 years…who knows the actual number. We saw a little preview in Feb 2015 for Boston when depths got around 40-50 inches (and even just south of Boston in 1996)…the snows in 1717 maybe were similar to 2015…possible they were a little higher but the records aren’t robust enough to say for certain. 

At some point it will happen but we have no idea of it happens in 10 years, 100 years, 1000 years or we wait until the next ice age in 5000 years or whatever. I think in a Holocene type climate it is plausible but just extremely rare. 

Just the fact that you guys actually put that into thought and pontificated on the probability is awesome. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I actually had 28.5" in that....just saw an old facebook memory.

I had 16 inches down here in my part of NJ from 1/29, was a nice storm and 22f at time of peak snowfall which isn’t typical down by me. We’re more typically upper 20’s to 32 at time of snowfall for storms that stay frozen down here. 

But was my first exposure to the NE crew reading your threads on this storm, was extremely interesting / informative and fun. Was happy for those that got crushed. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I actually had 28.5" in that....just saw an old facebook memory.

Oh man you don't remember how you bitched and moaned about the Ct crew as we were gettting smoked, slowly but surely you got wrecked. You were definitely melting down for a couple of hours. Good times

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Mansfield stake up near 40” at the high water mark of 2015-16.  So think we can end those comparisons for sure, they never really held much weight but just a couple good weeks is all it takes to beat that season.

Was that a suppression depression year - I mean it must have been a dry winter right 

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Oh man you don't remember how you bitched and moaned about the Ct crew as we were gettting smoked, slowly but surely you got wrecked. You were definitely melting down for a couple of hours. Good times

When has Ray not melted at some point during a KU? :lol:

Maybe March 2018....but that's it.

• Haha 2

I could only muster a low of 25⁰ this morning. Nice clear and calm skies this morning, once again will be replaced with clouds a bit later. Can't buy a sunny day from start to finish. My area radiates among some of the best, but the lowest it has gotten the entire month has been 21.7⁰. That is almost unheard of for January....talk about clouds and lack of cold air, anywhere near by. 

Just now, Spanks45 said:

I could only muster a low of 25⁰ this morning. Nice clear and calm skies this morning, once again will be replaced with clouds a bit later. Can't buy a sunny day from start to finish. My area radiates among some of the best, but the lowest it has gotten the entire month has been 21.7⁰. That is almost unheard of for January....talk about clouds and lack of cold air, anywhere near by. 

Lack of snow cover too is a killer....you could prob get to 5F in a meh airmass but clear night with snow OTG