Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

44 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Do you think the Wednesday storm has a chance of snow to the coast, it looks a little better on the models than Monday's system.

It probably would start as snow everywhere or at least a mix with that antecedent air mass… But how long that lasts would be briefest at the coast and longer in the interior.

I don’t think that’s going to Miller B saved the day …there’s just too much mechanics turning N too early inland. That said a residual secondary low that’s having trouble getting going might prolong some ice for awhile from the deep interior southern New England and points north - just an option   …unless the deep layer trough en masse evolves further east then we’ll talk about more secondary commitment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Amazing lack of cold air this winter, one of the warmest on record

NORTH WOODSTOCK, N.H. — Due in part to a plethora of 50 degree and rainy days, Mother Nature has put a damper on one of New Hampshire’s favorite winter attractions.

Ice Castles New Hampshire announced on Tuesday they’ve pushed back their opening date due to unseasonably warm temperatures.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Amazing lack of cold air this winter, one of the warmest on record

It was pretty much predicted wasn't it? Most of the seasonal outlooks I read were calling for warm and below average snows. Sure, maybe a crank hobbyist or Joe bastardi called for cold and snow but most were going the warm route.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kdxken said:

NORTH WOODSTOCK, N.H. — Due in part to a plethora of 50 degree and rainy days, Mother Nature has put a damper on one of New Hampshire’s favorite winter attractions.

Ice Castles New Hampshire announced on Tuesday they’ve pushed back their opening date due to unseasonably warm temperatures.

I also heard the ski resorts are struggling in New England 

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I still don't think so.

I hope you’re right and had faith too until the last few days with some bleak February posts popping up save for maybe the first 10 days of the month. 
I never count on March to deliver mainly because arctic cold is a lot tougher to reign in around here compared to Dec, Jan and Feb. It’s been the missing ingredient all season so I don’t expect it to really show up in March either at this point. Hopefully I’m wrong

3 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I hope you’re right and had faith too until the last few days with some bleak February posts popping up save for maybe the first 10 days of the month. 
I never count on March to deliver mainly because arctic cold is a lot tougher to reign in around here compared to Dec, Jan and Feb. It’s been the missing ingredient all season so I don’t expect it to really show up in March either at this point. Hopefully I’m wrong

Yeah, to save this winter in SNE we need something to force all that cold in Siberia over here. It’s possible but based on past winters similar to this it’s a long shot. That damn western ridge is just too far west so everything wants to run inland.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Let’s hope. Sitting the next week out for the most part. 

Pretty huge week for CNE/NNE. At least it’s snowing again nearby even if we miss. Hopefully laying some goood pack down will help out a little bit after that. 

Still think 1/25 might be decent…esp over interior SNE. But I’d like to see even just a minor shift east to get better dynamics in here on the front end. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty huge week for CNE/NNE. At least it’s snowing again nearby even if we miss. Hopefully laying some goood pack down will help out a little bit after that. 

Still think 1/25 might be decent…esp over interior SNE. But I’d like to see even just a minor shift east to get better dynamics in here on the front end. 

Seems the front end is where to invest even up here, as if it runs inside the coast like WPC has it, we can dry slot to drizzle.

• Like 1

Just now, mahk_webstah said:

Seems the front end is where to invest even up here, as if it runs inside the coast like WPC has it, we can dry slot to drizzle.

Yeah 1/25 is all about the WCB stuff. CCB/deformation on that will be way up in Ontario/Quebec

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

It is pretty juicy so could be a nice thump where a band sets up for a few hours.  Really could be awesome up here by end of day Thursday with cold coming.

Yep. It looks like an excellent next 5 days up there. If both of those systems pan out like expected, an impressive turnaround would be underway for some spots there in CNE when you combine with Thursday/yesterdays storm. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even us in the in the Mid Atlantic portion of SNE?

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Definitely nice to have a better airmass ahead of it. Core is still across NNE but it's better than what we've had.