Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

26 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

you get excited when a model shows an inland rainer?  WTF

Tracking rainstorms can be fun too, I like tracking big storms in general. Id rather have it be a blizzard for my area but I can’t control the weather, so there’s no point in getting pissed about it. It’s it’s going to be a big rainstorm, why not enjoy the process of tracking it? We post on this board because we are fascinated by the weather right? Well, if it just snowed all the time what would be the point in tracking? In New England we get all different types of weather, hurricanes, blizzards, heatwaves, arctic blasts, nor’easters, tropical storms, sunny days, cloudy days, etc. I wouldn’t have it any other way, and I find that I enjoy this hobby more when I have an open mind to tracking inland runners and cutters that I know will be rain for me. 

• Like 3

If watching the models just pisses you off and ruins your day, there’s no point in engaging in this hobby. I got pissed the past couple of years when snow threats would go ots, cut inland etc, but this winter it happened so much that I got fed up and decided that I’m going to have an open mind and try getting excited about rainstorms as well. I’m enjoying tracking the models the most I have since 2015 despite only having like 3 inches of snow halfway through the winter. That’s a success in my book, I can’t control the weather, but I can control my mindset towards it. This changed mindset is also helping me be a lot more objective about looking at the pattern rather than trying to constantly delude myself into thinking every storm will be a blizzard. I know a lot of you hate rain, but highly recommend having an open mind and just try tracking a rainstorm a few times without even considering the possibility it will change to a snowstorm. Try actually getting excited about it, and looking forward to the rain you get. Maybe even get a rain gauge and start measuring the rain, for me I’m planning on doing exactly that for this coming storm. It looks like I will be able to use my new rain gauge this Monday, and I’m really fucking excited about that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

for SNE?  over is a bit strong, but it's the back half of winter and nothing really imminent to track

Well it's actually not the back half of winter yet. First day of winter is December 21st. Last day is March 21st... For one third the way through winter at this point. Unless you're talking about meteorological winter which doesn't make sense because December isn't generally a real wintry month.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, George001 said:

If watching the models just pisses you off and ruins your day, there’s no point in engaging in this hobby. I got pissed the past couple of years when snow threats would go ots, cut inland etc, but this winter it happened so much that I got fed up and decided that I’m going to have an open mind and try getting excited about rainstorms as well. I’m enjoying tracking the models the most I have since 2015 despite only having like 3 inches of snow halfway through the winter. That’s a success in my book, I can’t control the weather, but I can control my mindset towards it. This changed mindset is also helping me be a lot more objective about looking at the pattern rather than trying to constantly delude myself into thinking every storm will be a blizzard. I know a lot of you hate rain, but highly recommend having an open mind and just try tracking a rainstorm a few times without even considering the possibility it will change to a snowstorm. Try actually getting excited about it, and looking forward to the rain you get. Maybe even get a rain gauge and start measuring the rain, for me I’m planning on doing exactly that for this coming storm. It looks like I will be able to use my new rain gauge this Monday, and I’m really fucking excited about that. 

Lololol .. George, I love your reverse psychology. It will snow. If it doesn't snow for the rest of this winter, it will snow next winter. If doesn't snow next winter. It will snow the winter after. The point is it will snow again, and I think sooner than later. You don't have to make yourself and talk yourself into loving a rainstorm because you're so frustrated and fed up with rain after rain after rain. 

How with that said, I have a rain gauge and a little weather station outside and I love it because it shows me inside what we've seen. Whether it be rain or snow. That's really cool to know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Well it's actually not the back half of winter yet. First day of winter is December 21st. Last day is March 21st... For one third the way through winter at this point. Unless you're talking about meteorological winter which doesn't make sense because December isn't generally a real wintry month.

Alright, so cya next January?

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Let’s roll that mentality into the Red Sox season :lol:.  That’s how I survive summer baseball these years.

image.png.1858fad16ee5002c4d2a24a9fc3655c9.png

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Lololol .. George, I love your reverse psychology. It will snow. If it doesn't snow for the rest of this winter, it will snow next winter. If doesn't snow next winter. It will snow the winter after. The point is it will snow again, and I think sooner than later. You don't have to make yourself and talk yourself into loving a rainstorm because you're so frustrated and fed up with rain after rain after rain. 

How with that said, I have a rain gauge and a little weather station outside and I love it because it shows me inside what we've seen. Whether it be rain or snow. That's really cool to know.

I agree that it will snow again, even in 2018-2019 (which I think this winter is most similar to) where storms kept running inland, we did eventually get a big storm in March. I got about a a foot and a half from that one, enough to take the winter out of rat territory but still below average. That’s what I think this winter will do, we get a bit of a late comeback with a weaker polar vortex, maybe blocking comes back, etc. I think we will get one big snowstorm and that’s it, it will be enough to make this winter not a rat but not enough to reach climo. In between the snow events, we are going to get some rain too. We will get more rain next winter, and the winter after that. Hell, even in 2014-2015 we had a few big rainstorms with lows running inland the 1st half. Just like how snow is a part of New England climo in winter, rain is too. Inland runners and cutters are a part of our climo just like coastals are, there’s just no point in getting pissed every time we get one. They aren’t going anywhere whether I like it or not. Now that I got a taste of tracking a few cutters and inland runners, I’m not going back. Tracking the Christmas week cutter was a lot of fun, almost as much fun as tracking snowstorms (nothing will beat tracking slow moving Miller Bs though). I track rainstorms in the summer too, and my best fishing day was right after a tropical storm with flooding rains and extreme wind. If I hated rain that much that it would ruin my day every time rain is in the forecast, i would move to the desert. If you hate rain living right near the ocean isn’t the best idea.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, George001 said:

I agree that it will snow again, even in 2018-2019 (which I think this winter is most similar to) where storms kept running inland, we did eventually get a big storm in March. I got about a a foot and a half from that one, enough to take the winter out of rat territory but still below average. That’s what I think this winter will do, we get a bit of a late comeback with a weaker polar vortex, maybe blocking comes back, etc. I think we will get one big snowstorm and that’s it, it will be enough to make this winter not a rat but not enough to reach climo. In between the snow events, we are going to get some rain too. We will get more rain next winter, and the winter after that. Hell, even in 2014-2015 we had a few big rainstorms with lows running inland the 1st half. Just like how snow is a part of New England climo in winter, rain is too. Inland runners and cutters are a part of our climo just like coastals are, there’s just no point in getting pissed every time we get one. They aren’t going anywhere whether I like it or not. Now that I got a taste of tracking a few cutters and inland runners, I’m not going back. Tracking the Christmas week cutter was a lot of fun, almost as much fun as tracking snowstorms (nothing will beat tracking slow moving Miller Bs though). I track rainstorms in the summer too, and my best fishing day was right after a tropical storm with flooding rains and extreme wind. If I hated rain that much that it would ruin my day every time rain is in the forecast, i would move to the desert. If you hate rain living right near the ocean isn’t the best idea.

come back, blizzard man, come back. severe blizzards, severe, 2-4ft, they happen several times a winter!  where you go?  come back...