Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I was going to say that, but figured maybe it was just a snapshot.

21 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it’s a 5 day average

i’m just happy to see legit cross polar flow. i’m not that worried about the ridge axis… Feb 2015 had the axis along the WC with a raging +NAO and that worked wonders

pretty much all patterns run the risk for cutters, but i will definitely take my chances with what all of the ensembles are agreeing upon

06C1C302-E378-4EA5-B23F-A7F0DCB09114.png.9f220b90e62334aba2021260ee8e6293.png

I agree it’s a 5 day average and ridge moving east. I’ll take that look all day! 

• Like 2

Even in 2015 we had great timing on 2 events…2/2/15 was a would-be cutter where the primary made it to CLE and then hit a brick wall of confluence…so it redeveloped we we got 12-20”….then, less than a week later, we had the Feb 7-9 overrunning event that was like 60F in Philly and DC…we avoided a warm rainer in that one due to some well-timed confluence up north yet again. The south coast actually had some issues in each storm so you can see how it wasn’t that far away from being more tainted for the rest of SNE. 

It was a great pattern that turned epic because we got “lucky” on small scale nuances in 2 events. When we’re looking at ensembles, we cannot tell how those nuances will play out. We only see the very larger picture on the longwave pattern. 

I think if you’re nitpicking the ensemble pattern shown, maybe you want to see some lower height anomalies in the 50/50 region. But you only need them there when a storm is trying to cut…otherwise it doesn’t really matter  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think if you’re nitpicking the ensemble pattern shown, maybe you want to see some lower height anomalies in the 50/50 region. But you only need them there when a storm is trying to cut…otherwise it doesn’t really matter  

Has this been missing (post 12/20) seeing as we have seen cutters 

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

The last 3 yrs, All 3 were below avg.

Same here.  19-20 was rescued from ratter-dom by post equinox storms, with 3.2" on 5/9 for the exclamation point.  20-21 is 2nd lowest here, beating only 15-16, and last winter was on the border between lousy and ratter.  The height of frustration came in Feb 2021, when a couple of NNJ sites had more snow in that month than we had for the entire snow season.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Same here.  19-20 was rescued from ratter-dom by post equinox storms, with 3.2" on 5/9 for the exclamation point.  20-21 is 2nd lowest here, beating only 15-16, and last winter was on the border between lousy and ratter.  The height of frustration came in Feb 2021, when a couple of NNJ sites had more snow in that month than we had for the entire snow season.

Yeah, The past few seasons have been quite lean in the snow and retention dept our way up here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnitedWx said:

Actually correct,  IIRC it was in its formative stages when he was in it. 

my post was intended tongue in cheek btw... you won't catch me messing with an EF whatever it was.  Pretty fortunate more motorists weren't hurt especially on the bridge when the tornado crossed the river.  I presume your husband must have been close by because 91 is basically right there.

Was truly amazing video, I can't recall seeing something like this before.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, radarman said:

my post was intended tongue in cheek btw... you won't catch me messing with an EF whatever it was.  Pretty amazing more motorists weren't hurt especially on the bridge when the tornado crossed the river.  I presume your husband must have been close by because 91 is right there.

Was truly amazing video, I can't recall seeing something like this before.

I hear you, I wouldn't want to mess with that either! He was actually on Route 91 northbound just a couple hundred yards south of the bridge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

it’s a 5 day average

i’m just happy to see legit cross polar flow. i’m not that worried about the ridge axis… Feb 2015 had the axis along the WC with a raging +NAO and that worked wonders

pretty much all patterns run the risk for cutters, but i will definitely take my chances with what all of the ensembles are agreeing upon

06C1C302-E378-4EA5-B23F-A7F0DCB09114.png.9f220b90e62334aba2021260ee8e6293.png

Not for nothing but that analog quite literally has the ridge and trough axis about 500 miles further east. BIG difference. And this season isn't one I'd be discounting it. Persistence is a biatch.

Assuming it's correct anyway.:lol:

40C11915-CF20-4AC1-8D8F-FBCB1C32A91C.thumb.png.6d437e5201335ae50fab01ae77b1081f.png

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Oh how many pray for that.

It's a little fast... 

broad scale systemic changes are likely in the circulation mode ...pretty much all over the atmosphere, but the timing is really 20th+ ... It is not clear if that above is part of that.  

There is going to be more confluence evolving in Canada as part of the new regime, ..woulda thunk more 25-ish. That 1040 high has some deep 2-meter temperatures associated with it. Haven't seen a lot of that this year.  Bit of a first...  If future guidance start flagging these polar highs, the notion isn't lost.

Kind of reminds me of some of those events in early Jan 2005 when we had that hostile torch pattern but we snuck a couple decent snow events in anyway (one of them produced a narrow zone of big icing in CT)….those top end winters all seemed to feature something like that where you steal an event or two in an otherwise hostile pattern. 

The shit seasons are mostly the opposite…you never score in a bad pattern and you whiff more than you should in a good one. 

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

H5 keeps roping in the long range model junkies with looks like this. Here’s the EPS with a pretty damn similar look to @brooklynwx99GEPS H5 clip.

But then you go and look at the surface and it’s cooked. And with no blocking? This is a worse depiction than what we have coming on day 3; it’s just not resolved yet.

8F8178E7-EF5F-4D0B-81F1-5E2A978038DF.png

0F21B8B9-1FA3-4AE6-BD67-F92A52BB7AD6.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 2