Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Big is the only way to live.

Unless it’s a damaging tornado through my backyard or house getting flooded out/washed away I want it all.

Big snow, big wind, big rain, big heat, big cold, big hail, big ice. Bring it. 

Give me a big tornado too. All :damage: All the time. Anybody claiming otherwise is full of shit. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The funny thing about that 23’rd-25’th system was measuring the snow was just about impossible . Not sure how the buffalo - Niagara airport went about it . It was just really comical even thinking about how to measure to the standards that are legit .

Just dangle some large vat in the air , pointed toward the SW and about 50 feet off the ground ? and then melt it down and guess ratio’s. I would guess Mount Washington May have a effective method for those conditions 

Seriously though, especially the beginning of the storm. It was easier to measure at my place as most of it fell on Sunday when the winds died down quite a bit. 44 people died in that Blizzard, by far the most of any winter storm in Buffalos history. 

• Sad 1

The consolation prize for this MLK weekend rainer, is planning a trip further north wouldn't have helped much, or at all. Talking Sunday River or Jay Peak to find skiable conditions, and that's too far for most.

I believe the North Conway ski mountains will be in rough shape. Even wildcat in Gorham, looks sketch. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Seriously though, especially the beginning of the storm. It was easier to measure at my place as most of it fell on Sunday when the winds died down quite a bit. 44 people died in that Blizzard, by far the most of any winter storm in Buffalos history. 

The Friday - Saturday stuff for the north towns including the airport( where I was)  was impossible ...I think the band that began to crush the area down by Hamburg late Saturday Nite and Sunday definitely had more semi manageable winds 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Big is the only way to live.

Unless it’s a damaging tornado through my backyard or house getting flooded out/washed away I want it all.

Big snow, big wind, big rain, big heat, big cold, big hail, big ice. Bring it. 

Big snow IMBY only. I couldn’t care less nor want any of the others. 

You missed big Coc though. That’s the ideal weather from April to November. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

Where did you see that? I don't ever want to see one either. I've seen waterspouts on Lake Ontario during a T-storm but we were a safe distance away.

May 2018 in wct. We lucked out with minimal damage while many in the neighborhood had major structural damage. One Neighbor doesn’t have a basement so he huddled in the bathtub with his newborn and pulled a mattress over his head while trees were coming down. Scariest moment of his life. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Trees falling on the house, the wife and kids huddled in a closet crying in prayer…while Scooter takes off his shirt and goes full Andy Dusfresne outside. 

Of course you want to be safe, but as a meteorologist, seeing one first hand is on my list. I'm not hiding from that. I fully embrace the weenie side of me there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Big snow IMBY only. I couldn’t care less nor want any of the others. 

You missed big Coc though. That’s the ideal weather from April to November. 

Nice wx is nice, but boring. Nothing wrong with 75/45 in April, 85/55 in July, or 70 in October. Stretches of that are fine, but if I wanted months upon months of it I’d move to San Diego. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Of course you want to be safe, but as a meteorologist, seeing one first hand is on my list. I'm not hiding from that. I fully embrace the weenie side of me there.

I’m fine seeing them from a safe distance in the Midwest, but seriously, there’s nothing like witnessing/experiencing the power of nature—human impacts aside. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Nice wx is nice, but boring. Nothing wrong with 75/45 in April, 85/55 in July, or 70 in October. Stretches of that are fine, but if I wanted months upon months of it I’d move to San Diego. 

I’m fine seeing them from a safe distance in the Midwest, but seriously, there’s nothing like witnessing/experiencing the power of nature—human impacts aside. 

Boring is perfect in spring and summer. Ideal outdoor conditions. 

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Boring is perfect in spring and summer. Ideal outdoor conditions. 

Yup, when the trees are bare and the ground is brown, so much nicer to have them covered up with snow. Although we could use some boring, sunny weather. This cloudy, cold weather is very close to 33 and rain...