Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, Heisy said:

There’s been a wave showing up on the GEFS a few runs in a row now for the 12-14th. EPS has it too I suppose.

12z Canadian showed the wave in C US at end of run, but didn’t look too great. Only long range period worth watching right now imo
251dcb58e2c3c93caed6088f0fbdc974.jpg

Yeah, that's the next threat after 5-7th. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah, it's pretty bleak outside of the signal around the 14th or so. that one seems kinda legit given the PNA spike associated with it, and it's been consistent on ensembles

sucks, but what can you do

Just stating the obvious but yeah ..that signal's been there for a week or more.  It's ranged from the 12th to 16th actually, moving to and fro within that range.  It's interesting that it's still there, despite having very little numerical teleconnection support.

The PNA spike you are talking about - I think that is more expression in the PNAP ( or perennial north american pattern )?  The numerical -based curve at CPC does not flag index-scaled event, at all.  So that's probably what that is, in that time range.  A sub-index event  ...well, sub "main" index perhaps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Wow.. this forum is dysfunctional. 

All we see is attacks on everyone thoughts of what we could see. It's all negative. Not a setting that makes for a good forum or a decent discussion.

Also.. I though we had a separate thread for Winter Banter? It all seems to be in the January discussion ( or any strom thread we create ).

Lastly, why in the hell do we allow the few members that post just to antagonize to be able to post at all? Isn't their a moderator that can block that? 

Trust me.. many of you guys and gals on here are great. We all get frustrated that the Winter has been pretty sad as of late. But... Don't you guys get tired of the banter and also the negative posts that we are seeing. Let's just see what happens with the upcoming few months. It is far from over. Even if we have a 2-3 week period like we had last year towards February, isn't that worth something? 

you must be new here, because it’s been like that for the entirety of this forum’s existence 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It’s fine to point out the actual model runs, lack of substantial or interesting systems, etc.  but the ad nauseam whining got old a long time ago.    

Honestly it’s more personality differences than anything.

Some are glass half full and some are glass half empty people.  In all aspects of life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

When a model looks awful, just do what we’re doing now and not talk about it. Just let the silence speak for itself. 

Provides a learning op, to explore why one 'needs' them to look like anything at all, other than what they are - tools in a tool chest.

Heh, imagine someone that once saw a screw driver turn a screw, and they were so enamored by the screw's turning that they have to look at their tool chest and the screw driver every 6 hours..."weather" there are any screws to turn or not.  Kind of a 'screwy' metaphor but hey.  

Seriously though...these were tools invented ...I guess the rudiments of them were mid last Century, but computing power was advancing in tandem.   But in modernity, the liquid access to them, in loops and so forth, and varying dimensions ..et al.  It really is like a cinema, a new movie, telling "meta" verse version, every 6 hours.  

There's a difference in this kind of cinema, though. Very big one. This one has a chance to become real - that gives it a personal connection to people, obviously that would be the case.  Doesn't take a psycho dissertation to advance that hypothesis.   

I dunno. Maybe thinking about this stuff, even if only half on point and true, is enough to mitigate some of the model 'd-drip' reliance.  It's kind of a guilty pleasure to engage in it to be 'triggered' in that way, anyway.  Hopefully, it doesn't affect one's mood outside of the engagement - but I suspect it kinda does...    

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Lol .. you LOVE your ice storms. 

Don't think that's happening though. 

I'd rather it be a long duration of sleet and snow!

Ya that aint happening…no ice storm. He’s trying to drum up some positive conversation…which I don’t blame him in trying. But theres no ice storm.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It’s fine to point out the actual model runs, lack of substantial or interesting systems, etc.  but the ad nauseam whining got old a long time ago.    

Yes. This is my point, and only my point. I’m not an all positive all the time guy on here. I just can’t take the whining.  Now we got folks whining about a vacation lmao…given us a dam break.  

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Some are glass half full and some are glass half empty people.  In all aspects of life.

There is a balance ...given reality ...if you live on the cape and want to stay glass half full ..delusional becomes a attractive option or another hobby 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the whining reach this level. Not in 2013, not in 2015 and not in the horrific Jan/Feb/Mar 2020 stretch. 

It’s gotten embarrassing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

There is certainly icing on the table nW of 95

There’s no QPF really for a real ice storm. It does look like there could be a prolonged period of freezing drizzle though so things could certainly get pretty slippery. 

45 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

And the engineers think the glass is twice the size of what's needed.  :lol:

I was pleased to see that Wednesday's super torch has dimmed to a candle for points north of southern Maine.  Should the low 40s verify rather than the earlier mid 50s forecast, the ground will remain white as temps slide down toward normal.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the whining reach this level. Not in 2013, not in 2015 and not in the horrific Jan/Feb/Mar 2020 stretch. 

Agreed.

We need Friday to pull through with an advisory event for the area….that would do all of us a bunch of Good. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You know that's what I've been saying all along. I've said it in a very easy and simple way originally, but I just had people give me the weenie symbol or make a comment about my post. It is embarrassing. I'm 51, have a very good job. Love, daughter. We just adopted. Life is good. But when I come on here, it's always chaos, people putting people down. Even with my comments, when I try to cool things down, I get put down.

I come on here because I want to discuss the weather. I want to discuss what things might be coming. If it doesn't snow it doesn't snow. It's just the way it is. But there's so many people in here that just attack and put down others for what they have to say. It's actually a joke.

The thought has crossed my mind to just stop coming on here. But I keep coming because I'm hoping that people can just discuss the weather. Even if it's something small, sometimes that leads to something larger. Or something that surprises us. That's what made me fall in love with the whether when I was a kid. Even in today's modern technology, there are surprises and things we can't predict. 

Hope this gets through to done off you and we get a real forum going.

• Like 1