Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

After this December, I’m definitely adding geese feeding habits to my list of tools to use for forecasting. 

Whoa don’t forget squirrel weight fluctuations, paper wasp nest height, caterpillar color decoding and the like. Man I thought you were a pro…

• Haha 4

Just now, Kitz Craver said:

Whoa don’t forget squirrel weight fluctuations, paper wasp nest height, caterpillar color decoding and the like. Man I thought you were a pro…

It’s the white (bald) faced hornet nest height. Not paper wasps. 

That’s why they pay us the big bucks. 

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I have turkeys. Can I use those to forecast?

I'm going to continue to use this oak as a forecasting tool. Despite being in a wide open area, 60ish MPH winds, 5 degrees and soon to be January 1st. It still has a majority of it's leaves hanging on. No snow until a majority of the leaves fall off...

Side note, pretty cool to see the ceiling down to about 500 ft here. Clear in the valley, but the top of the hill is socked in dense fog and barely visible. It has been slowly sinking down all morning. 

20221231_091759.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Pope a bit upset from the passing. :( 

Naw. You and @ORH_wxman bitter that I point out that your life work is really just a waste of life. Sorry to break it.

It’s a fraternity of losers. To be an outcast is a good thing here.

You also undermine the credibility of meteorology. Add that to the list. 

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 3

35 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Hope springs eternal.

Also, kudos to so you for what I think is the first "thread the needle" post of the year!

It's threading in both ways.  It's very marginally strong enough.  And then suppose it turns out that way, it's marginal whether it is close enough.  If those two were not enough, it marginal in the thermodynamics.   We have to thread three needles there. lol

8 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Naw. You and @ORH_wxman bitter that I point out that your life work is really just a waste of life. Sorry to break it.

Happy New Year!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I’ll admit my meteorological world view has been shattered when I learned geese feeding patterns were superior to model guidance. I promise to walk into 2023 a new man. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not much of a drinker anymore, but this is going in my belly tonight. Maybe it’ll bring some luck in the LR. 

image.jpeg

Nice! I’ve had that . Being an IPA snob .. I probably wouldn’t get it again . 
As poor as the LR looks, I’m going to use how many road kills I see and forecast off of that moving forward 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Lol. Like I said, I just feel like as I get older it’s not a worry like I used to have. I can’t control it. Hopefully something later next week.

Same here. The older and higher I get, the less worry I have. I’ll still melt over the next KU bust though. It’s the overall tenure of the season that I have a lot more patience with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

I'm going to continue to use this oak as a forecasting tool. Despite being in a wide open area, 60ish MPH winds, 5 degrees and soon to be January 1st. It still has a majority of it's leaves hanging on. No snow until a majority of the leaves fall off...

Side note, pretty cool to see the ceiling down to about 500 ft here. Clear in the valley, but the top of the hill is socked in dense fog and barely visible. It has been slowly sinking down all morning. 

20221231_091759.jpg

Opening up the pool tomorrow?