• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

I realize it's extended circumstance ...and I'd certainly not wish to award myself a 'bun', but that event that could host ice/mix has been very persistent among the operational GFS out there between Jan5-8th. Noticing more than 1/2 of the GEF's individual members flagging some sort of trough eject up underneath and tendency for polar/+PP N of Maine ( regardless of whatever that means outside one's window).  Meanwhile.... we maintain a modest +PNA hemisphere ( even though the PNAP aspect is apparently absent )... It just means it could break differently if that weight is leaning on the pattern... 

It will moderate this week, no question.  'How much so'. 

Folks need to remember how gossamer warmth and the patterns that support can be at this time of year. They are intrinsically fragile.  And it's interesting, with chance for excessiveness in 'swing' potential. 60s could replace with 37 and grits with the ambient boundary suppression under poorly modeled if unseen modestly confluent flow over SE Canada ... 

I see the D4-6 warm up pulse as in jeopardy down to the Mass/NH border for BD...  BUT, okay 'if' that avoids. We'll bake, relative to seasonality/climo.  The 2-meter T in the guidance are whack and clearly not seeing the mixing potential where ever the evolving dome is allowed proxy over the surface - at the end of the week/weekend.  Bust potential?  rather high.  Synoptic recognition combined with +11C at 850 mb outside of any said correction hooking around the Whites' cordillera would be in the mid to upper 60s. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, George001 said:

Shades remain open, the next 2 weeks are expected to be mild due to the circular polar vortex (only the first week torches) but it can still snow in bad patterns in New England. We track 

That’s not why it’s mild George.   Parts of the country will be aob.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heisy said:

This is the first wave to take on the ridge, stronger on today’s euro. As tip mentioned there is a wave after this that right now probably favors interior, but def some interest on ensembles for your region. Imo root for this first wave to trend stronger for any follow up around 7-9th952029863bae14fe2f4983ca829cc88e.jpg

Nothing says January like 591 heights in the west Atlantic….

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

Uh oh

https://www.wired.com/story/climate-environment-hurricane/

El Niño Is Coming—and the World Isn’t Prepared

After reading this in the second sentence of the article I stopped reading:

"According to NASA, 2022 was one of the hottest years ever recorded on Earth."

Given the short history of recorded temperatures on earth, this was meant to scare people about the global warming craze.  Considering the source, "Wired", I'm not surprised.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Given the short history of recorded temperatures on earth, this was meant to scare people about the global warming craze.  Considering the source, "Wired", I'm not surprised.

Smart move…shit like that is absolute buffoonery!  Yet there are folks who believe that garbage. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Smart move…shit like that is absolute buffoonery!  Yet there are folks who believe that garbage. 

Yeah, the Interior Department is giving money to Native American tribes to help them relocate away from areas that are vulnerable to climate change, potentially creating a model for other communities around the country.

I want some money for my area that the awful climate change has kept snowstorms away from lately.   :lmao:

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

“Recorded” means since official measurements were taken. Though we know by proxy that it hasn’t been this warm for a long time….certainly the past 1100-1200 years and possibly not since the early Holocene. I don’t have an issue with the temperature claims. 

Biggest problem with those articles is the attribution dialogue. They get so many things wrong too often (such as the incorrect relationship they stated between hurricanes and El Niño) that it renders the article mostly worthless. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yup.  That's the next legit shot in New England.

Yeah and we’re prob waiting longer in SNE. At least the pattern change is moving forward on the ensembles. We’re not yet seeing it get pushed back which is about all you can ask for at the moment. Hopefully that doesn’t change but it’s always a possibility. 

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah and we’re prob waiting longer in SNE. At least the pattern change is moving forward on the ensembles. We’re not yet seeing it get pushed back which is about all you can ask for at the moment. Hopefully that doesn’t change but it’s always a possibility. 

Looks like GEFS and GEPS pushed back a bit.  EPS looked fine but GEFS led the charge in pacific last pattern change. 

23 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

“Recorded” means since official measurements were taken. Though we know by proxy that it hasn’t been this warm for a long time….certainly the past 1100-1200 years and possibly not since the early Holocene. I don’t have an issue with the temperature claims. 

Biggest problem with those articles is the attribution dialogue. They get so many things wrong too often (such as the incorrect relationship they stated between hurricanes and El Niño) that it renders the article mostly worthless. 

Thanks for the reasoned response.

9 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Looks like GEFS and GEPS pushed back a bit.  EPS looked fine but GEFS led the charge in pacific last pattern change. 

I feel like the GEFS actually change the pattern earlier than the EPS but it just never gets as favorable as the EPS. 

Like here’s D11…EPS looks worse than GEFS here:

B8C42FCB-895F-436E-B183-3B993D774A9B.thumb.png.1e918755f28af23a1d062b34dca6b242.pngBC09DC8A-F13E-4801-8689-37C75715FC59.thumb.png.2a46b6f79e1b92b594a2a1a642b2bf0c.png

But by the time we get to D13-14, the EPS looks a lot better in the PAC but I’d don’t really hate either look:

FDF84321-EB55-4233-92B5-A9DC2E7E2AF3.thumb.png.cf7d71630ac57020673777e5dc05d872.pngC0408976-9F8E-4BB7-9D80-DBBAAC8B0071.thumb.png.a4ca6a9f299f07b4fc81a66a468af243.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I feel like the GEFS actually change the pattern earlier than the EPS but it just never gets as favorable as the EPS. 

Like here’s D11…EPS looks worse than GEFS here:

B8C42FCB-895F-436E-B183-3B993D774A9B.thumb.png.1e918755f28af23a1d062b34dca6b242.pngBC09DC8A-F13E-4801-8689-37C75715FC59.thumb.png.2a46b6f79e1b92b594a2a1a642b2bf0c.png

But by the time we get to D13-14, the EPS looks a lot better in the PAC but I’d don’t really hate either look:

FDF84321-EB55-4233-92B5-A9DC2E7E2AF3.thumb.png.cf7d71630ac57020673777e5dc05d872.pngC0408976-9F8E-4BB7-9D80-DBBAAC8B0071.thumb.png.a4ca6a9f299f07b4fc81a66a468af243.png

Ya true, definitely would prefer the EPS to verify verbatim.