Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco

nj2va

18 minutes ago, CAPE said:

12z GFS somehow manages to get a little something going along the coast despite multiple pieces of vorticity intertwining within a positively tilted trough while an amplified ridge is bearing down right on top. :lol:

Watch that be the only way we get snow this year LOL

3 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Not sure if you've put me on ignore or not (I am getting better, btw), but I was gonna say...Is it wrong to suppose that it looks a little more split-flowy (i.e more nino-ish) past next weekend? Or something that doesn't look nina-like, lol

The pattern continues to look more Nino than Nina. But unfortunately not all ninos are good. Remember we like modoki ninos. Some east based ones can be ok. But the more east centered the Nino the more chance the north pacific low ends up too Far East and floods N America with mild air. Unfortunately that’s the kind of Nino pattern we’re in. The top analogs right now do include 4 ninos. But they are the 4 worst ninos lol. 1983, 1992, 1995 and 1998. 83 was saved by one big storm but was a torch otherwise. The rest were simply torches straight through. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The pattern continues to look more Nino than Nina. But unfortunately not all ninos are good. Remember we like modoki ninos. Some east based ones can be ok. But the more east centered the Nino the more chance the north pacific low ends up too Far East and floods N America with mild air. Unfortunately that’s the kind of Nino pattern we’re in. The top analogs right now do include 4 ninos. But they are the 4 worst ninos lol. 1983, 1992, 1995 and 1998. 83 was saved by one big storm but was a torch otherwise. The rest were simply torches straight through. 

Yeah, that was what I was saying in my recent comment this morning. I was hoping to see this week’s torch come to a quick end with a nice pna ridge and plenty of cold air in Canada to set things up for the next wave that decides to come by. 

What I’m seeing in the latest ensemble runs is +5 to +10 air across the eastern 2/3 of Canada, and my first thought was “how is this going to lead to snow here?” 

As much as I want to see it, I just don’t. Not yet. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Do positive analogs even exist anymore? Like frickin' bad news bears nina and nino...not one positive comparison!  Incredible, lol

Now...83 and 98 were super niños, right? So of course we don't have that...unless the pattern does indeed resemble a niño? Now of course 1992 ya had the Pinatubo effect (now ironically we're almost a year removed from the Hunga Tunga eruption--the effects of which are yet to be determined?) 

Overall yes it does make sense we want more modoki to not flood too much mild air East (thanks for the clarification there). So then...how does the niño-like look we got now mix with the nina? I'm not sure we have the final outcome on that...but is the torch for Jan really lookin' that bad, tho?

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Do positive analogs even exist anymore? Like frickin' bad news bears nina and nino...not one positive comparison!  Incredible, lol

Now...83 and 98 were super niños, right? So of course we don't have that...unless the pattern does indeed resemble a niño? Now of course 1992 ya had the Pinatubo effect (now ironically we're almost a year removed from the Hunga Tunga eruption--the effects of which are yet to be determined?) 

Overall yes it does make sense we want more modoki to not flood too much mild air East (thanks for the clarification there). So then...how does the niño-like look we got now mix with the nina? I'm not sure we have the final outcome on that. We don't even know if we're actually gonna torch for an extended time...do we?

Nowhere near a super nino, more like an east based one. Check the pac SST map, you’ll see relatively warmer temps in nino 1.2 vs 3.4. 

Don’t think we’re saying extended torch, we don’t know. But I’m less confident compared to a couple days ago after seeing the models get warmer each run. 

28 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

EPS is now like the GEFS in the LR now. this is a really nice look

9F06ABCF-3E76-4ACA-A94B-4EBD6EBA617A.thumb.png.e0c190cb056d70283abb2382591f3e1d.png

Suggestive of a coastal storm around the 15th from a shortwave that sheds off the retrograding trough and tracks eastward as the PNA ridge pops. Implies some sort of a Miller B evolution per surface pressure and precip panels. Pretty strong signal at this range.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Suggestive of a coastal storm around the 15th from a shortwave that sheds off the retrograding trough as the PNA ridge pops. Implies some sort of a Miller B evolution per surface pressure and precip panels. Pretty strong signal at this range.

*tries to bite tongue about Miller Bs being awful for yard* So I'm wondering...do Miller As really only exist in niños? (I'd like to see a chart of just how many of our coastal were As or a hybrid vs Bs) I mean they seem to only happen a few times a decade!

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Yep February 11th, 1983, that was a fun storm 22" 40-50 mph winds 5–8-foot snow drifts and thunder and lightning!  I think the very next day the big melt off began though.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic