joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco

nj2va

13 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

gfs_z500a_us_56.thumb.png.ebf749d91c3803a7cb617324d1be5368.png

gfs_z500a_atl_59.thumb.png.976df1e2d7c639c88076c30c587afbb7.png

Over the past 6 years numerous times we’ve wasted what should have been a good longwave pattern.  Every time as it ended there were a smattering of “good let’s try something different”. And I can’t reminder a single time that worked out. If a good pattern doesn’t work I doubt a bad one will. Usually we just end up in a total no hope close the blinds don’t even look at each run until further notice so pattern.  I am not excited by a pattern change. But hopefully it doesn’t last too long. Maybe by mid January we can cycle back to a better pattern and hopefully get more luck. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Over the past 6 years numerous times we’ve wasted what should have been a good longwave pattern.  Every time as it ended there were a smattering of “good let’s try something different”. And I can’t reminder a single time that worked out. If a good pattern doesn’t work I doubt a bad one will. Usually we just end up in a total no hope close the blinds don’t even look at each run until further notice so pattern.  I am not excited by a pattern change. But hopefully it doesn’t last too long. Maybe by mid January we can cycle back to a better pattern and hopefully get more luck. 

That's what I'm thinking too. Pattern reset and backloaded ftw.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AtlanticWx said:

we could get a decent pattern sometime soon again after the mild Pacific air floods CONUS when the jet retracts, giving us a decent pattern with a +PNA and EC trough before it becomes shit again

wondering when thatll happen tho

My worry is by the time cold re builds its already late January. 

39 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

gfs_z500a_us_56.thumb.png.ebf749d91c3803a7cb617324d1be5368.png

gfs_z500a_atl_59.thumb.png.976df1e2d7c639c88076c30c587afbb7.png

WAR on the move and the Atlantic ocean SSTs still rather warm.   I could say that HM thinks any PV strengthening is temporary,  and that we will get a reload latter, but after this fiasco I am going to chill out and wait for better days. When psu and the Euro gives me the green light then I will Woof. LOL 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, frd said:

WAR on the move and the Atlantic ocean SSTs still rather warm.   I could say that HM thinks any PV strengthening is temporary,  and that we will get a reload latter, but after this fiasco I am going to chill out and wait for better days. When psu and the Euro gives me the green light then I will Woof. LOL 

I don’t think we’re done for the season. This doesn’t have the hallmarks (yet) of a total dreg year like 2019/20.  And if we were to get a similar pattern to the one we just wasted in late January/February it’s more likely something comes of it.

Just depressing we seem to have wasted what’s been mostly a decent to good longwave configuration the first 1/3 of the snow season.  Yea November and December aren’t good snow climo but in most good seasons we did manage to snow by now. It’s not impossible. Or at least it wasn’t impossible lol. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nj2va said:

That’s potentially a blizzard upslope look to it. Mountains are going to score big on Saturday into Sunday if that look verifies. Of course I get there Monday morning :blahblah:

I’m heading to Canaan tomorrow, coming back Friday and then back again the day after Christmas. So this will definitely verify lol

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, 87storms said:

It's hard to rationalize this as a good pattern when we're dealing with cutters.  Obviously, there's some other variables at play (warmer waters shifting the storm track west, etc.)...or we're just dealing with standard La Nina things.

Agreed. I don’t think this is a good pattern to begin with. By that I mean what’s actually out there in reality, not what has been depicted on model maps 7+ days out. There’s a difference, and the “good” pattern the models told us was coming did not fully come to fruition. 

Yes we got the -nao, but we did not get the +pna (which is even more important in Dec than Jan-Feb)

Having all these cutters is about what we would expect from a La Nina. 

• Like 8

• nj2va changed the title to January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic