• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

Because the Euro hasn't changed much from the overall evolution, definitely deserves the most weight in forecast thinking. That's not to say that meaningful changes can't happen, but that the GFS is more grain of salt worthy tonight. Now that the models have honed in on the big picture, not all that surprising the GFS is now the most amped and aggressive with QPF and snow, considering how it handled the February 2022 systems.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Euro solution is definitely more of a downer. Still a good event with high winds and some decent snow here but really miss out on all the wraparound snow as the low occludes too ne of me so totals are significantly less than gfs obviously. I knew gfs solution was likely not to occur but definitely was hoping to see euro bump towards that a bit at least with the low occluding more nw to cash in on deformation band more. Still time for small details to work out. I bet nam will have a real humdinger of a storm. Lol

55 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Euro a pretty big killjoy for the dvn cwa after the GFS/ICON runs earlier.  

Gut tells me this will be a powdery 3-5" event here with high winds and extreme cold, whilst Hoosier/Chicagoland cash in yet again ala GHD3.

It’s bonkers that we are “disappointed” with advisory-to-low end warning snows shown on a model a couple days before Christmas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Once the GFS jumped strongly to the general idea of the Euro today, it consistently depicted 2-2.5"+ QPF totals in the max swath. Absent lake enhancement, QPF totals like that are very rare in a winter system in the Midwest. As alluded to in my previous post, we saw the GFS do this with both February systems last winter.

The 12z ECMWF certainly had a broader swath of high QPF totals than the 00z run tonight, but still those high totals on this side of the lake were in the 1-1.75, locally 2" range.

When you have the GFS spitting out obscene QPF and add in the way overdone Kuchera ratios, it creates unrealistic expectations. The 12z ECMWF was probably a realistic best case scenario.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Once the GFS jumped strongly to the general idea of the Euro today, it consistently depicted 2-2.5"+ QPF totals in the max swath. Absent lake enhancement, QPF totals like that are very rare in a winter system in the Midwest. As alluded to in my previous post, we saw the GFS do this with both February systems last winter.

The 12z ECMWF certainly had a broader swath of high QPF totals than the 00z run tonight, but still those high totals on this side of the lake were in the 1-1.75, locally 2" range.

When you have the GFS spitting out obscene QPF and add in the way overdone Kuchera ratios, it creates unrealistic expectations. The 12z ECMWF was probably a realistic best case scenario.

Thank you. Some people have forgotten climo clearly.

These systems also tend to get drier as we know as we approach go time. There are exceptions of course, but high likelihood we shave QPF from here.

• Like 2

The euro and gfs were consistent with Ian and were both wrong inside of 24 hours, gfs did very well with Nicole....dont give up because these models aren't giving you what you want...the amount of gfs runs that get tossed with even well developed tropical systems would make your head spin...euro is far more consistent thus less runs tossed but of course consistency can also be consistently wrong through the life of a system....Madison to Detroit are in play for the jackpot, lets see if the gfs settles down today

2 minutes ago, jlauderdal said:

The euro and gfs were consistent with Ian and were both wrong inside of 24 hours, gfs did very well with Nicole....dont give up because these models aren't giving you what you want...the amount of gfs runs that get tossed with even well developed tropical systems would make your head spin...euro is far more consistent thus less runs tossed but of course consistency can also be consistently wrong through the life of a system....Madison to Detroit are in play for the jackpot, lets see if the gfs settles down today

It might not settle down until WednesdayIt 

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm