Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

Just now, Malacka11 said:

Yeah but we're cooler sooo

Damn right! It’s funny to see the others in that thread be the ones to put out the dumpster fire. At least over here we are happy with a 6-10. This thread would go nuts over a 2 footer from DVN to DTW. Not referring to the upcoming event just a generalization 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Why do we care so much about what the east coast snobs think? Obviously a long ways to go but more often than not when you're looking at a storm strengthening like this, you'd rather be west of guidance (Always will have ghd nightmares/flashbacks). I think this is the winter the nw trend comes back, unfortunately for peeps east of chitown.

East coast snobs ? Uh 

Enjoy the snow

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Damn right! It’s funny to see the others in that thread be the ones to put out the dumpster fire. At least over here we are happy with a 6-10. This thread would go nuts over a 2 footer from DVN to DTW. Not referring to the upcoming event just a generalization 

Some women pray for 6-10 inches every day…

…of snow. Come on, now. :weenie:

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Let me just say that people cliff jumping over getting 33 and rain is part of the fun.

And then when the rare overperformer happens, everyone is beyond thrilled and backslapping.

I had more than my fair share of total climo screw jobs when I lived in Charlottesville. The thread has to be so fine to get through the needle there, but when it happened, it was GLORIOUS.

Looks like OH is gonna get bombed unless the track goes haywire here. And while I doubt the STL region gets 8” like the some modeling says right now, I will be more than overjoyed to simply get a few inches and have a White Christmas and serious cold for the first time since I was a kid and lived in MN and WI!

• Like 2

Just now, A-L-E-K said:

V consistent with multiple banger runs in a row now, it used to be deadly in this range when dialed in

Yup. Classic Chicago storm track. Plenty of details to refine, but my confidence is growing for at least a warning level storm. 

Let’s just avoid the 48 hr disappearing act which was the name of the game the past few years… 

• Like 3

One thing I notice is, as strong as the storm is, the cold sector precip is not exceptionally intense.  This probably has to do with the deep moisture being displaced off the east coast, not accessible by the great lakes storm.

This is a very good point. The lead wave really hinders a deeper Gulf influence. Without that, things could really get out of hand.
bb3c27ec36bd4997e91964271b1b45bf.jpg

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

This is a very good point. The lead wave really hinders a deeper Gulf influence. Without that, things could really get out of hand.
bb3c27ec36bd4997e91964271b1b45bf.jpg

Two questions:

1. Is it necessary that the lead front push that hard in order for a good storm to occur?

2. If not, was the 00z EURO an example of what could occur if the system has some gulf moisture?

Are there any tweaks to the evolution that could prevent that or is it just how it is with this setup?

Having the main wave and trough dig deeper into the Central US or having a slower progression would be two ways to improve that, especially since the weak lead wave and the early week storm system are unlikely to magically disappear.

However, if any of the two aforementioned changes were go occur, it could lead to radically different solutions.

• Thanks 1

Two questions:
1. Is it necessary that the lead front push that hard in order for a good storm to occur?
2. If not, was the 00z EURO an example of what could occur if the system has some gulf moisture?

The sweeping front across the Central US is inevitable, and most definitely is an integral piece, providing a sharp baroclinic zone.

The 12z Euro from yesterday probably had the best available moisture feed out of any Euro run thus far. They have mostly been similar overall, though.

• Like 1

• Chicago Storm changed the title to Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm