• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
"We're gonna need a bigger plow..." Massive, persistent singal now emerges discretely in the models, 20th-23rd

Typhoon Tip

31 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Sound effect snow. In my 36 years I've never heard of such a thing. Not sure anyone on this forum has. 

The blizzard if 2015 definitely produced a pretty intense band over NYC. I suspect they get sound enhancement in a lot of other noreasters, but in 2015 it happened with very little synaptic snow around.

Buffalo dispatcher just took a call from a motorist stranded in his car for 5 hours who found an abandoned fire truck stuck in snow drift and called from his new “shelter “. Pure madness as buffalo is shut down and in chaos . 65 mph winds and feet of powder have caused a zero visibility ground blizzard that the buffalo regional lake effect folks says rivals any chaos they can recall . At least earlier this year they plowed The feet of snow and the winds were about 35.And temp kept the snow Density up  This is just wild here With the blowing and falling snow and 65 mph gusts , you simply can’t see and the plows went home hours ago . In fact there was 5” on i-78 and 33 east of airport on that “well maintained”  Transit  road at 3pm .

The amount of cars stuck is difficult to imagine 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

5 here

That’s awesome. Congrats.

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Buffalo dispatcher just took a call from a motorist stranded in his car for 5 hours who found an abandoned fire truck stuck in snow drift and called from his new “shelter “. Pure madness as buffalo is shut down and in chaos . 65 mph winds and feet of powder have caused a zero visibility ground blizzard that the buffalo regional lake effect folks says rivals any chaos they can recall . At least earlier this year they plowed The feet of snow and the winds were about 35.And temp kept the snow Density up  This is just wild here With the blowing and falling snow and 65 mph gusts , you simply can’t see and the plows went home hours ago . In fact there was 5” on i-78 and 33 east of airport on that “well maintained”  Transit  road at 3pm .

The amount of cars stuck is difficult to imagine 

All-timer there. Be safe and enjoy. Take it all in.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Not on WSW winds though.  That’s the rarity.

On WSW winds no obviously (maybe a tiny area near Orient Point) but the sound does have an effect on snowstorms here. The way probably 2-4” at least was added on parts of LI in the 1/29 event last winter was the NE flow off LI Sound that upsloped a tiny bit and friction over the island caused more lift. That went on for a few hours and definitely enhanced the snow as the best synoptic lift shifted east to the Boston area/SE Mass. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Wow buffalo

https://buffalowebcam.com/live-webcams/buffalo-ny-elmwood-ave-mr-pizza

Their forecasted snow amounts have been raised to 48-60 inches .

Unmeasurable, powder and 65 mph winds . DPw pulled the plows even with many emergency personnel stuck and stranded . Band has shifted north overnite , hopefully I can get to my original hotel (3 miles north ) as this one closes for the holiday . I don’t want to try and drive and risk my car getting stuck so this should be fun in a few hrs . Some cars in lot has transformed to mounds of snow (w car underneath ) others seem like drivers could just back out of spot .

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Unmeasurable, powder and 65 mph winds . DPw pulled the plows even with many emergency personnel stuck and stranded . Band has shifted north overnite , hopefully I can get to my original hotel (3 miles north ) as this one closes for the holiday . I don’t want to try and drive and risk my car getting stuck so this should be fun in a few hrs . Some cars in lot has transformed to mounds of snow (w car underneath ) others seem like drivers could just back out of spot .

How many days do you think you’ll be stuck there? Maybe Wednesday or Thursday you’ll be able to leave?

Congrats to MVY for a white Christmas. 

Made some adjustments to PoPs for the band of ocean effect snow affecting the Islands, leaning heavily on 06z 3km NAM which has a great handle on its current position and expected trends. This is an unusual situation that we often only see with SW flow when there is a departing arctic airmass. It`s actually rather shallow, only up to around 3,000 ft in depth, which is why it looks unimpressive on radar, but IR satellite shows its origins are in Long Island Sound and it extends across Block Island to Martha`s Vineyard and Chatham.