• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"We're gonna need a bigger plow..." Massive, persistent singal now emerges discretely in the models, 20th-23rd

Typhoon Tip

Even though obs aren't terribly impressive to the southwest in terms of wind, you have to winder if that changes here. Looking at mesoanalysis, RAP, and HRRR it seems the ingredients are all there for some big winds here. RAP has about 100 J/KG of SBCAPE and MLCAPE, with 50-75+ J of 3KM CAPE and low-level lapse rates steepen to around 7 C/KM with even steeper 2-6km lapse rates.

And look at these pressure changes which should continue to see an increasing delta

image.thumb.png.0909d3e0a8316417c205c593bee1fd92.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Even though obs aren't terribly impressive to the southwest in terms of wind, you have to winder if that changes here. Looking at mesoanalysis, RAP, and HRRR it seems the ingredients are all there for some big winds here. RAP has about 100 J/KG of SBCAPE and MLCAPE, with 50-75+ J of 3KM CAPE and low-level lapse rates steepen to around 7 C/KM with even steeper 2-6km lapse rates.

And look at these pressure changes which should continue to see an increasing delta

Get loose , get naked, get footloose and fancy free!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Radar really blew up over NJ.

5 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

Radar really blew up over NJ.

Nearly a 150 knot ULJ streak providing substantial upper-level divergence in our region. Based on the ingredients I listed above, combined with this jet support, I think we are going to see a significant line move through. I guess we have the wind advisories out, but I am also shocked there isn't discussion for a severe thunderstorm watch, especially since there is some lightning generation.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This is the reason our flood threat is pretty low. It's still snowing in the headwaters and whatever changeover comes will be brief and easily absorbed by the snow.

It’s interesting how localized my flood threat is. The Ammo starts just a few miles from my house (it comes out of Lakes of the Clouds), so what it does is really dependent on just the few miles between my house and the top of Mt Washington. So far so good, but keeping an eye on it. 44F, pack down to 7”. Would be nice to keep a few just for looks lol

Some estimates of timing for the front ... in EST

NYC _ 1130

central LI w CT 1200

central CT and Springfield MA 1300

ORH-PVD 1340

BOS 1420

Cape Cod 1530

Expect about a one-hour lag for sharp temp drops after the fropa

I would expect it to be a discontinuous squall line with isolated gusts to 70 mph possible but 50-55 more general, lasting about a half hour, then 35-45 during the CAA.