Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
12/15 - 12/16 Coastal/Winter Storm & Observations

Northof78

9 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

I was in Albany for college and post grad from 2001-08; not too many ratters in the bunch. Seemed like it could snow almost daily during the winter at times. 

2002/2003 winter was epic. I remember mountains of snow and an unlucky car that was left in the same parking spot all winter, encased in a glacier that blew out the back springs; that was before a front end loader ripped the back of the car off. 

2002-03 was a very underrated winter in which almost everyone did well and there was a snowstorm that hit just about everyone from the midatlantic to the northeast.

12 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Snow fall past 24 hours via CoCoRaHs and a sophisticated evaluation program (NOHRSC). LSR's not yet updated. May add late today?

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 9.04.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 9.05.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 9.07.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 9.11.46 AM.png

Thanks so much Walt!  Looks like 7.4" was the max at Mt Pocono.....it's still snowing in the Poconos isn't it?  Would you post a final total from there once the storm ends completely?

I think they're expecting another 3-5"?

It's also fascinating to see the difference with only 4" around I-80 in NE PA and 7.4" at MPO just slightly to the north (and much higher elevation).  And only around 3" around Lehighton!  I think it's still snowing there though so maybe they'll get up to around 6" there?  I guess when the final totals come out we'll know.

20 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

Surprised how low amounts were in Scranton area. Crazy how you needed elevation here

800’ here in Sullivan and maybe I managed 4-6” that melted and became cement once we changed to rain during the night, with maybe 1-3” more if this last thump does take shape. Everywhere else in the county certainly got 7”+

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

Surprised how low amounts were in Scranton area. Crazy how you needed elevation here

Modeling (non 10-1) snowfall was constantly trying to highlight valleys throughout.  Very difficult to get good snow in AVP, ditto also extensive big snow through Central Pa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks so much Walt!  Looks like 7.4" was the max at Mt Pocono.....it's still snowing in the Poconos isn't it?  Would you post a final total from there once the storm ends completely?

I think they're expecting another 3-5"?

It's also fascinating to see the difference with only 4" around I-80 in NE PA and 7.4" at MPO just slightly to the north (and much higher elevation).  And only around 3" around Lehighton!  I think it's still snowing there though so maybe they'll get up to around 6" there?  I guess when the final totals come out we'll know.

Finals will post tomorrow for this mainly elevation 3+" snow event. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

My kid is supposed to get on a plane at 6:30 this evening in Rochester, I'm hoping the "good stuff" holds off until after that so she doesn't have to spend the night (or more) in the airport. @Brasiluvsnowmaybe your son can pick her up on his way by if everything gets messed up? 

Gravity, I can tell you that he is definitely NOT leaving today so she might be stuck overnight regardless if you want to send a picture of her I am sure that might sway him lol. Regardless I hope she gets home ok.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Modeling (non 10-1) snowfall was constantly trying to highlight valleys throughout.  Very difficult to get good snow in AVP, ditto also extensive big snow through Central Pa. 

AVP’s snow average is probably in the mid to upper 40s per winter. They definitely have a shadowing effect from the Poconos nearby as well as the lower elevation. Central PA can get messed up so many different ways in winter storms especially over the last 15 years when big miller A type storms became more rare, which is how they get their big time storms-the March 1993 type storms. It’s honestly better here on Long Island than Central PA these days. 

To me not many surprises with this storm but the warmer/less snowy models did better, which I expected and you nailed. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

AVP’s snow average is probably in the mid to upper 40s per winter. They definitely have a shadowing effect from the Poconos nearby as well as the lower elevation. Central PA can get messed up so many different ways in winter storms especially over the last 15 years when big miller A type storms became more rare, which is how they get their big time storms-the March 1993 type storms. It’s honestly better here on Long Island than Central PA these days. 

To me not many surprises with this storm but the warmer/less snowy models did better, which I expected and you nailed. 

Thanks...  I hope folks noticed how good the GFS was on positive snow amount, at least in the gradient. Cyclically was VERY good.  

To me: this is winter as it should be ...we'll have some snow cover here in the elevations daily for awhile.  Those who said Dec would be a colder snowier start (at least interior), looks like they will be correct. 

Overall: I think NWS snow amount numbers will work out well I81 N-S corridor eastward. 

Onto the next:

• Like 2

Going to say 7.0” total here from last night in my part of the Poconos, Newfoundland, Wayne county. Elevation 2,075’ feet. I’m 30 minutes N/Nw of Mt Pocono, and around 200 to 300 feet higher in elevation than them. So their 7.4” total seems accurate. It’s extremely hard to measure this stuff after it compacted and turned to sleet/freezing rain late last night. It’s now snowing moderately on the back end and I have already received an additional inch. So going with a storm total of 8.0” so far, and maybe another couple hours to go. Not a bad early season storm! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikem81 said:

Drive up 115 from Wilkes Barre to the PA Tpke interchange.  You go from about 400’ to 2000’ above MSL where the interchange is.  Weather conditions will be a different world at the top of that mountain in the winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tatamy said:

Drive up 115 from Wilkes Barre to the PA Tpke interchange.  You go from about 400’ to 2000’ above MSL where the interchange is.  Weather conditions will be a different world at the top of that mountain in the winter.

Definitely.  The Poconos are the place to be, whether north or south.  I honestly don't know why anyone would want to live in Scranton.