Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
12/15 - 12/16 Coastal/Winter Storm & Observations

Northof78

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Keep in mind some of what looks heavy S of NYC is bright banding which are what would've been our snowflakes melting in our delightful 41 degree maritime gunk. The liquid forming around the snowflakes artificially makes the radar think it's heavy precip. The radar is orange over my house and I'd say it's barely moderate rain. A few thousand feet up though at 850-900mb it's still cold enough for snow.

I was wondering what the large splotchy type raindrops were from.  Guess it was melted flakes?  How do we get another inch of rain tomorrow?

Hanging around 34° currently.  I was impressed at the onset how heavy the snow came in.  It coated everything very quickly including the roads that had salt residue from the last storm.

Been rain ever since though, heavy at times.  I'd say we got maybe 1.5" before the changeover.

10 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

36 and moderate rain. 

That sucks. If I lived there those gorgeous snow maps would have suckered me in. There have been very few pure snow reports from east of the river this evening. CMC and to a lesser extent EC were on the right track here. I am slightly curious about the conditions above 1000ft in Putnam and eastern Dutchess.

18 minutes ago, eduggs said:

That sucks. If I lived there those gorgeous snow maps would have suckered me in. There have been very few pure snow reports from east of the river this evening. CMC and to a lesser extent EC were on the right track here. I am slightly curious about the conditions above 1000ft in Putnam and eastern Dutchess.

It's disappointing for sure. I never thought we were going to get the GFS totals but I didn't think we were going to get nothing either. I was thinking 2 or 3 inches for a total. So far CMC/RGEM have been spot on. Maybe we get some light accums as storm pulls away later Friday/Friday night. Oh well, on to the next. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

It's disappointing for sure. I never thought we were going to get the GFS totals but I didn't think we were going to get nothing either. I was thinking 2 or 3 inches for a total. So far CMC/RGEM have been spot on. Maybe we get some light accums as storm pulls away later Friday/Friday night. Oh well, on to the next. 

Yeah, nothing but rain here in Poughkeepsie so far.  So bummed. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

This has got to be one of the more intense west vs east gradient storms in a while. It looks like it's raining up to Albany along the hudson river while snowing in NW NJ. 

That by itself isn't so unusual. But what are the conditions in the high terrain east of the Hudson? What's a little unusual is that so far there's more snow at 800ft in NNJ than at 1200ft in eastern Dutchess and Columbia counties.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eduggs said:

That by itself isn't so unusual. But what are the conditions in the high terrain east of the Hudson? What's a little unusual is that so far there's more snow at 800ft in NNJ than at 1200ft in eastern Dutchess and Columbia counties.

I still think it's a little unusual for a non fall/spring storm. At this time of year a coastal hugger usually buries places like northern parts of our subforum to  Albany.  I guess the combo of the cutter in the lakes and lack of a truly cold antecedent atmosphere made this elevation dependent. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I still think it's a little unusual for a non fall/spring storm. At this time of year a coastal hugger usually buries places like Albany.  

I've lived near Albany. It's the warmest, wettest location around that region. Downsloping from multiple directions. But yes, assuming there is cold/dry air to the north of our region, Albany's latitude can help a lot. But it's a terrible snow location with a stale airmass. With an easterly flow, you want to be 10 miles west of Albany along the Helderberg escarpment.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I still think it's a little unusual for a non fall/spring storm. At this time of year a coastal hugger usually buries places like Albany.  

The airmass was lousy out ahead of this and if anything is even lousier than expected. Where I am was out of it as long as it was clear the strong easterly flow was happening but a better prior airmass could've saved a decent event for more and maybe even had a couple hour burst of snow here before rain. Maybe downslope and the warm easterly flow are hurting areas E of the Hudson. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eduggs said:

I've lived near Albany. It's the warmest, wettest location around that region. Downsloping from multiple directions. But yes, assuming there is cold/dry air to the north of our region, Albany's latitude can help a lot. But it's a terrible snow location with a stale airmass. With an easterly flow, you want to be 10 miles west of Albany along the Helderberg escarpment.

This is crazy and has to be exaggerated to some extent. My snow average here is in the low 30s annually probably, there's no way Kingston/Poughkeepsie are 20" per winter. Downtown Albany only 40"/winter? :lol: 

image.png.6d047626036cd3d3d6beb82a7b265562.png

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

This is crazy and has to be exaggerated to some extent. My snow average here is in the low 30s annually probably, there's no way Kingston/Poughkeepsie are 20" per winter. Downtown Albany only 40"/winter? :lol: 

I think Albany is closer to 50" on that map. But they did have some lean years during that period. They missed out on some of the big ones that impacted the City and coastal region. I know the Saugerties - New Paltz area gets brutally downsloped. Still, those totals look sad.

17 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Poughkeepsie's average is around 36-38 I believe. Albany is generally around 50. I'm 10 miles north of Poughkeepsie and average about 40.