Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 15-16 Mixed Bag of Precip

nj2va

20 minutes ago, Interstate said:

I am in the same boat... but I voted against virtual learning, first because my kids are still young and I want them to enjoy the snow. Second, I feel like they really get nothing out of it.  Of course, tacking on the days at EOY... is the same... the kids are just there to be there and not learning anything.

I voted against it as well, as I agree with you. My kid is older so virtual learning is easier, but still sucks to make them miss a snow day because we already used up previous snow days. My first winter in Parkton was 13/14, where we got 70" that year and kids were in school very late into June. Not us because she was only 1 at the time, but I felt for parents who had to delay summer vacations because of how many snow days they had to make up. 

19 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

HoCo doing the first three virtual, then tacking on.

Balt Co doesn't even list adding days to the end of year. Just day 1-5 is closure, 6+ is virtual learning on a 2hr delay schedule. 

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

I voted against it as well, as I agree with you. My kid is older so virtual learning is easier, but still sucks to make them miss a snow day because we already used up previous snow days. My first winter in Parkton was 13/14, where we got 70" that year and kids were in school very late into June. Not us because she was only 1 at the time, but I felt for parents who had to delay summer vacations because of how many snow days they had to make up. 

Balt Co doesn't even list adding days to the end of year. Just day 1-5 is closure, 6+ is virtual learning on a 2hr delay schedule. 

Exactly the same in Fairfax County.

The kids are in school until June 16 as it is, so extending the year would be incredibly disruptive.

On topic: Yay freezing ran and sleet.

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

Not sure about Baltimore County, but in Hoco, the virtual learning is asynchronous, so I voted for it even though I also want my kid to have snow days. That way, they can do the work whenever, whether it be between breaks from outside or even later that week or weekend, as it doesn't have to be turned in the next day, either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

Exactly the same in Fairfax County.

The kids are in school until June 16 as it is, so extending the year would be incredibly disruptive.

On topic: Yay freezing ran and sleet.

yep. i dont mind it if it means K gets out in June before the solstice. last year was stupid late. and two of those days was for rain and nothing (as Balt Co decided to close the entire county for the early Jan storm that hit you all south while I got clouds)

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Not sure about Baltimore County, but in Hoco, the virtual learning is asynchronous, so I voted for it even though I also want my kid to have snow days. That way, they can do the work whenever, whether it be between breaks from outside or even later that week or weekend, as it doesn't have to be turned in the next day, either.

its not specified, so i assume its an otherwise normal school day from home. 

I think sleety accumulations will be a small amount until you get near the PA/MD Border and far NW - I think we all see a sleety start that turns to rain in less than an hour. The amounts of frozen actually accreting will be a question. I have added nothing more than saying I agree with the Mets here that this is advisory until you get to the mountain valleys! And no one wants a bad ice storm, especially with the winds forecast! NO THANKS! I would take sleet instead of Freezing Rain in a heartbeat. Anyways, I would not be surprised if folks west of Rt 15 get into a watch this afternoon and get moved to an advisory based on the worst-case scenario and awareness. Mountain areas go to warnings tomorrow! But who am I, but a weenie! :)

3 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

I think sleety accumulations will be a small amount until you get near the PA/MD Border and far NW - I think we all see a sleety start that turns to rain in less than an hour. The amounts of frozen actually accreting will be a question. I have added nothing more than saying I agree with the Mets here that this is advisory until you get to the mountain valleys! And no one wants a bad ice storm, especially with the winds forecast! NO THANKS! I would take sleet instead of Freezing Rain in a heartbeat. Anyways, I would not be surprised if folks west of Rt 15 get into a watch this afternoon and get moved to an advisory based on the worst-case scenario and awareness. But who am I, but a weenie! :)

I so agree with you. I'm in Mountain Lake Park (Garrett Co) which is in a bit of a bowl so I am afraid I am going to maximize the amount of ice in comparison to the ridges...drove around this morning and noticed the multitude of tall evergreens teetering over the power poles (just moved here in October). This has the potential IMBY to be quite disruptive. We shall see how long the power holds out.

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

This happens with 60-70% of the storms the couple days leading up to them.  A cold bias shows more then as things get closer and better sampled it adjusts and warms.  RGEM is known for this.

The RGEM may have a cold bias, but when the Euro, GFS, Nam twins, and CMC all show my area (Augusta County) getting more than 1" of accumulating freezing rain, it gets my attention!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Well the GFS has the FZ still hanging on Baltimore City North at 1PM

We know how this goes...the Downtown City itself and along SE of 95 with no elevation will get little to no ice. As you go progressively northwest with some elevation, there will gradually be more ice. Elevation and away from the bay based.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

The RGEM may have a cold bias, but when the Euro, GFS, Nam twins, and CMC all show my area (Augusta County) getting more than 1" of accumulating freezing rain, it gets my attention!

Western zones could very well get quite a bit of ice. Still better to lean conservative but t it doesn’t take a lot of ice to cause problems 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic