Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England Met Winter 2022-2023 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

23 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

My son attends Montana State University which is just an hour or so up the road to West Yellowstone. I’ve visited in both seasons and it’s a cool little town. It’s very quiet in winter. Quite a few sledders but otherwise a pretty quiet stop off point between places like Jackson Hole and Big Sky. 

It’s really an incredible part of the country in all seasons. They’ve had an incredible winter. They don’t necessary get the huge dumps like the Sierras or Little Cottonwood Canyon, but they are cold and get frequent snows that just pile up all season. I was thinking the same as you, how much time has a place like West Yellowstone spent above freezing since November?

Yeah...in most NDJFM periods, it's above freezing for a decent amount of time.  Normal high is in the low 40s on 11/1 and 3/31, and it's not horrendously cold (25F) even in mid-January.  But this season, above-freezing temps have been very rare...primarily because November, February, and March have been so cold relative to normal.  And when it does get above 32F, it's only for an hour or two each day.  Here are some quick stats:

Between 11/2/22 and 3/28/23, only 13 days have been above 36F.  Warmest was 42F on Mar 20.  It hit -49F and -44F on Dec 22-23 respectively.

Nov 2022 actual average max/min = 29.4/-2.6, departure -10.0

Dec 2022 actual average max/min = 23.4/1.6, departure -1.7

Jan 2023 actual average max/min = 25.5/-0.3, departure -0.9

Feb 2023 actual average max/min = 28.1/-6.7, departure -5.7

Mar 2023 actual average max/min = 31.7/-2.0, departure -8.8 so far (although there are a few days with M in mid-March)

18 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Yeah...in most NDJFM periods, it's above freezing for a decent amount of time.  Normal high is in the low 40s on 11/1 and 3/31, and it's not horrendously cold (25F) even in mid-January.  But this season, above-freezing temps have been very rare...primarily because November, February, and March have been so cold relative to normal.  And when it does get above 32F, it's only for an hour or two each day.  Here are some quick stats:

Between 11/2/22 and 3/28/23, only 13 days have been above 36F.  Warmest was 42F on Mar 20.  It hit -49F and -44F on Dec 22-23 respectively.

Nov 2022 actual average max/min = 29.4/-2.6, departure -10.0

Dec 2022 actual average max/min = 23.4/1.6, departure -1.7

Jan 2023 actual average max/min = 25.5/-0.3, departure -0.9

Feb 2023 actual average max/min = 28.1/-6.7, departure -5.7

Mar 2023 actual average max/min = 31.7/-2.0, departure -8.8 so far (although there are a few days with M in mid-March)

That area typically has a very early onset of winter too....it's not like here where big November snows are rare....they usually enter December with already deep snow pack.

This year has been pretty ridiculous though...I noticed they have a 62 inch pack currently.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That area typically has a very early onset of winter too....it's not like here where big November snows are rare....they usually enter December with already deep snow pack.

This year has been pretty ridiculous though...I noticed they have a 62 inch pack currently.

25 to 30 more last night

Wow.  Mammoth Mountain received 20" more inches of snow last night.   That broke their all time snowiest winter.  695" at the Main Lodge and 870" at the summit.  What really impressed me is that their current snow depth at their main lodge 275 inches.   22 feet, 11 inches.  Crazy.  I wonder how wildlife gets around?  

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Wow.  Mammoth Mountain received 20" more inches of snow last night.   That broke their all time snowiest winter.  695" at the Main Lodge and 870" at the summit.  What really impressed me is that their current snow depth at their main lodge 275 inches.   22 feet, 11 inches.  Crazy.  I wonder how wildlife gets around?  

It’s Sierra cement , I would imaging wildlife in Utah May have a harder time but I would guess they have adapted to this a long time ago 

• Like 1

Looking at buying a used newer generation 19-22 Ford Ranger. Anyone have one? I like the turbo and better gas mileage.  Need a small fuel efficient truck and am looking at a 2 door model. I hate the 4 door car style. I also looked at Chevy Colorado's as they have a small 2 door truck as well. 

I stopped at my Ford dealer just to see what a new one would cost and a base ranger with 4x4 is like 40k and 6 month wait. 

14 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Looking at buying a used newer generation 19-22 Ford Ranger. Anyone have one? I like the turbo and better gas mileage.  Need a small fuel efficient truck and am looking at a 2 door model. I hate the 4 door car style. I also looked at Chevy Colorado's as they have a small 2 door truck as well. 

I stopped at my Ford dealer just to see what a new one would cost and a base ranger with 4x4 is like 40k and 6 month wait. 

Brian, My two cents...... I have a small service company, we currently have 3 Toyota Tacomas for service trucks. I have been running Toyota's since 1990 ALL with the bullet proof 4 cylinder 2.7L engine.

Toyota no longer makes a 2 door truck, your choice is  access cab or 4 door. All manufactures have come a long way, again this is just my opinion , a few years ago we sold a 2003 tacoma, 2 door with a little over 410,000 miles,(we needed extended cab for extra storage, was the reason for selling etc)  a landscape company purchased it and is still going strong! Last Fall I saw the truck, it had about 440,000 miles, other then brakes, batteries here and there and exhaust.....no issues.

Philip

Good luck on your purchase

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 512high said:

Brian, My two cents...... I have a small service company, we currently have 3 Toyota Tacomas for service trucks. I have been running Toyota's since 1990 ALL with the bullet proof 4 cylinder 2.7L engine.

Toyota no longer makes a 2 door truck, your choice is  access cab or 4 door. All manufactures have come a long way, again this is just my opinion , a few years ago we sold a 2003 tacoma, 2 door with a little over 410,000 miles,(we needed extended cab for extra storage, was the reason for selling etc)  a landscape company purchased it and is still going strong! Last Fall I saw the truck, it had about 440,000 miles, other then brakes, batteries here and there and exhaust.....no issues.

Philip

Good luck on your purchase

That's all I've owned since 1991, never had a problem unless you count the drunk driver that totaled one and a huge deer totaled another. I think it was 2019 or 2020 Toyota came out with the two door but only for that one year. If I can one of them on the market, I might get one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

That's all I've owned since 1991, never had a problem unless you count the drunk driver that totaled one and a huge deer totaled another. I think it was 2019 or 2020 Toyota came out with the two door but only for that one year. If I can one of them on the market, I might get one.

Yes, I don't know that last year they made the 2-door model, I will say this....they do hold their value. Again, to the OP, I have nothing against other brands etc. I am just saying what works for our company and has been working well for us. Also, I know zero about reliability of their 6-cylinder models for the record.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 512high said:

Yes, I don't know that last year they made the 2-door model, I will say this....they do hold their value. Again, to the OP, I have nothing against other brands etc. I am just saying what works for our company and has been working well for us. Also, I know zero about reliability of their 6-cylinder models for the record.

I had a couple 6's and they were just as good as the 4's in my opinion, I think I had 3 of the 4s and 2 of the 6s. The gas mileage on the 6 was the same as the 4's or maybe 1 mpg less.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 8:56 AM, 512high said:

I know Tacoma's are reliable but they are outdated and the 4cyl is way underpowered.  The current 3rd generation Tacoma is the same design from 2015. The ranger has way more technology and gets way better gas mileage. Seems a lot of these mid size trucks are going to turbo 4 cylinders.  The new 2023 Chevy Colorado has a 2.7 turbo. A lot of people are reporting getting close to 30 mpg if your easy on the gas. The ranger has a 7k towing capacity as well and the torque on these turbo motors is  supposedly amazing. 

I live turbo charged cars and my last 2 regular cars have been turbos.

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I know Tacoma's are reliable but they are outdated and the 4cyl is way underpowered.  The current 3rd generation Tacoma is the same design from 2015. The ranger has way more technology and gets way better gas mileage. Seems a lot of these mid size trucks are going to turbo 4 cylinders.  The new 2023 Chevy Colorado has a 2.7 turbo. A lot of people are reporting getting close to 30 mpg if your easy on the gas. The ranger has a 7k towing capacity as well and the torque on these turbo motors is amazing. 

No problem, again we use these for service trucks, not our own personal vehicles etc. Was not not any manufacturer , we use what works for our company,etc. Happy shopping!

51 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I know Tacoma's are reliable but they are outdated and the 4cyl is way underpowered.  The current 3rd generation Tacoma is the same design from 2015. The ranger has way more technology and gets way better gas mileage. Seems a lot of these mid size trucks are going to turbo 4 cylinders.  The new 2023 Chevy Colorado has a 2.7 turbo. A lot of people are reporting getting close to 30 mpg if your easy on the gas. The ranger has a 7k towing capacity as well and the torque on these turbo motors is  supposedly amazing. 

I almost pulled the trigger on the Ford last year but decided to wait another year or two, I'll be keeping an eye out for a used Tacoma in the meantime, maybe I'll get lucky. I liked the Ford for the same reasons you just stated.

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

If/when my 2011 Ranger dies, I'd like to find a reasonably priced used Ford Maverick, the only true small truck out there.  Hybrid version muchly preferred.

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

If/when my 2011 Ranger dies, I'd like to find a reasonably priced used Ford Maverick, the only true small truck out there.  Hybrid version muchly preferred.

The problem with the hybrid version, at least right now, is that they don’t come in AWD, they only make FWD versions. Other than that, I agree. 

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

The problem with the hybrid version, at least right now, is that they don’t come in AWD, they only make FWD versions. Other than that, I agree. 

My little pickups (1992 Ranger inherited from dad, 2004 Mazda, 2011 Ranger) have all been 2WD and this was the 29th winter I've been driving them, so I'm not too concerned.

• Haha 1