Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Winter 2022-2023 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

14 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Has anyone seen this tweet from NWS San Diego? My first thought was how the hell did the NWS tweet something like this, then quickly realized they probably just forgot to log out of their work account. It's also possible it's fake, you never know these days but i have a feeling it's the former. Something like this has got to be an insta-fire for that employee.

Wonder what @OceanStWx thinks of this? :ph34r:

1613937673_Screenshot2023-03-17174917.png.b2b5f42688e90a8c338050cb120c7e65.png

You would be surprised how often somebody logs into personal and office and forgets which they are posting from. 

I also wish I could say this will result in a severe punishment for the person responsible, but that's pretty unlikely. Maybe some unpaid leave, but you have to really go above and beyond to get fired once you are past probation. Like use government car for personal use bad. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

You would be surprised how often somebody logs into personal and office and forgets which they are posting from. 

I also wish I could say this will result in a severe punishment for the person responsible, but that's pretty unlikely. Maybe some unpaid leave, but you have to really go above and beyond to get fired once you are past probation. Like use government car for personal use bad. 

Or, frustration with the SoCal homeless situation has exceeded whispered tones, which is not relatable to you as a New Englander

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, Tolland Death Band said:

Or, frustration with the SoCal homeless situation has exceeded whispered tones, which is not relatable to you as a New Englander

I'm not sure what where I'm from has to do with it. In no circumstance should the NWS being weighing in on the SoCal homeless situation. 

By all means, go off on your personal Twitter if it bothers you, but the NWS WFO feed is for weather information only. We're not even allowed to use the phrase Super Bowl, so opining on a side of a policy debate is absolutely a no go.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Tolland Death Band said:

It’s a NWS account, opinions on anything but weather are a mistake. This isn’t a thing if it’s a personal account.  No one gives a shit what one individual on social media thinks these days. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I know turkeys eat ticks and we used to have a flock in our yard every night for a few years, last year they stopped showing up so maybe they found better grounds.

In my experience, chickens and even Guinea hens are opportunists, so unless they see a tick right in front of them they're not seeking them out specifically.   Path of least resistance food is their preferred method.  My in laws in NH have Guinea hens and I still pull ticks off me on their property.  As long as there are hosts (mice, other rodent) there will be ticks.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I went to SC for the last total eclipse. It is a truly extraordinary and awe inspiring event. I will drop everything to see the next one in 2024. 

VxapZCl.jpg

This one is a little longer and wider so it will be darker at centerline.  Early afternoon.  What are chances of clear skies, 40%.  Temperatures start dropping before totality so convective clouds wane.  The beach towns of Western Mexico are the place to go.  Long eclipse and near 0 chance of rain. 

• Like 1

Regional banks still in turmoil from Serious risk of more panic flight of deposits into “2 big 2 fail banks”

Last nite , Regional banks requested the FDIC ensure all their depositors for a period of 2 years 

that may need to be done Fast , but of course that added FDIC insurance (must be paid for ) and comes at a cost (fees ) to depositors In all likelihood 

The Fed in conjunction with several other central banks set up emergency swap lines to make sure global financial institutions had access to dollar funding . Seems folks are big time spooked .

The funny thing is..all the financial engineers have destabilized the financial sector in the last few decades to a point that would probably make folks uneasy if it was spelled out , but banking is a confidence game ..so that is a no no and besides these institutions have actually been incentivized to do so by being bailed out and having former executives as regulators 

My guess is fed wants a deal done ASAP to ensure deposits fully for 2 years at regional banks to stem the panic for a while and also be able to raise rates 1/4 one more time to fight inflation and save face there  , otherwise how BAD do they look at their press conference Wednesday when their own SF fed branch was suppose to oversee the SVB bank that failed and also had SVB ceo sitting on board at SF fed . I mean ...cmon 

• Like 3

On 3/19/2023 at 9:01 AM, tunafish said:

In my experience, chickens and even Guinea hens are opportunists, so unless they see a tick right in front of them they're not seeking them out specifically.   Path of least resistance food is their preferred method.  My in laws in NH have Guinea hens and I still pull ticks off me on their property.  As long as there are hosts (mice, other rodent) there will be ticks.

thanks fellow phishhead, you ruined my day, I thought guinea fowl were gonna eat all my ticks, sigh :(

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Everyone talking about SVB collapse, and they were advertised at a freakin Worcester railers game when they had no money, just a dichotomy to me that's all. K? 

That ad was probably purchased months ago and probably didn’t cost very much.  

Do you remember CMGI Field?

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

My guess is many employers are forced to care what their employees may tweet these days , since many millennial folks are so apt to play “gotcha” 

Yeah that’s true. Poorly worded on my part… meant to say that same tweet from a personal account is nothing. From the NWS it’s a problem.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Litle weight on their roofs, wonder if they make them stronger out there. My roof is trusses and can handle more weight than a typical roof. 

Design snow loads are much higher than here.  I am sure some crappy designed structures have gone down, but not ones that have been designed to code.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

Design snow loads are much higher than here.  I am sure some crappy designed structures have gone down, but not ones that have been designed to code.

I think that Maine code requires 80 lb/sq.ft. bearing strength, which would be nearly 16" SWE.  (In NJ it was 40 lb.)  In the Sierras with relatively dense snow (compared to the Rockies) the code might be 150 lb but that's only a guess. 

• Like 2