Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Winter 2022-2023 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

14 hours ago, NeonPeon said:

There's still time to plant something in that green desert of yours. A tree perhaps? Anything? 

That's just the fenced in part for my dog. 

The lawn is actually 100% organic. I use organic fertilizer that is leftover brewing grains and cedarwood oil for ticks/insects. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Why is Hydro Quebec's rate for Miami, 2000 miles from the turbines, only about 40% of Boston's rate, less that 1000 miles away?  NIMBY would make sense if price-gouged power is in play.

I think the Hydro Quebec rate is Montreal and the chart is comparing rates there to the other locations

44 minutes ago, mcglups said:

Bury The Northern Pass.  The grid will eventually be underground, expensive upfront, more costly to repair, but immense savings across the entire life cycle.

Saw a story about it (burying electric utilities).   I had always thought it was $1 million per mile.  This report had it $4-6 million per mile.  An older study had pegged Massachusetts as needed $1 trillion to bury then statewide.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen this tweet from NWS San Diego? My first thought was how the hell did the NWS tweet something like this, then quickly realized they probably just forgot to log out of their work account. It's also possible it's fake, you never know these days but i have a feeling it's the former. Something like this has got to be an insta-fire for that employee.

Wonder what @OceanStWx thinks of this? :ph34r:

1613937673_Screenshot2023-03-17174917.png.b2b5f42688e90a8c338050cb120c7e65.png

15 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Saw a story about it (burying electric utilities).   I had always thought it was $1 million per mile.  This report had it $4-6 million per mile.  An older study had pegged Massachusetts as needed $1 trillion to bury then statewide.

It’s pretty much a non starter. I live in a new development, and the lines are buried, but it does us no good in terms of outages, as everything leading to here is above ground 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s pretty much a non starter. I live in a new development, and the lines are buried, but it does us no good in terms of outages, as everything leading to here is above ground 

Yeah it’s not cost effective to do that to existing above ground lines. Better off doing vegetation management. I’ve seen a lot of that lately.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

My hood was built in the 80s and the lines are below ground. But our hood is part of an older development where the lines are above ground. 

Part of my neighborhood is underground.  My half is above ground. But they all meet up with above ground at the end of the street so it doesn’t matter much other than asthetics 

Total Eclipse coming in one year  April 8 2024

Another total eclipse is coming.  We are very fortunate in our lifetimes to have one pass through NNE.  We have had annular solar eclipses and a total eclipse just missed in March 1970  (Carly Simon, You flew your Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse of the sun)  If anyone has ever experienced a total eclipse it is one of the craziest most memorable things in your life.  I traveled to Aruba to see one.

To experience daytime turning into night you have to be in a path of totality.  Even 99% of the sun being hidden still ruins the experience.  I have attached the path below.  I expect the media to start honking a bit this April 8th and every Airbnb and hotel will start booking up.  So if you are interested in seeing it the time to book is now I would think.  Of course this time of year NNE could be clouded over too)

By the way you want to try to be on the centerline for the longest and darkest eclipse.  

Eclipse.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Another total eclipse is coming.  We are very fortunate in our lifetimes to have one pass through NNE.  We have had annular solar eclipses and a total eclipse just missed in March 1970  (Carly Simon, You flew your Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse of the sun)  If anyone has ever experienced a total eclipse it is one of the craziest most memorable things in your life.  I traveled to Aruba to see one.

To experience daytime turning into night you have to be in a path of totality.  Even 99% of the sun being hidden still ruins the experience.  I have attached the path below.  I expect the media to start honking a bit this April 8th and every Airbnb and hotel will start booking up.  So if you are interested in seeing it the time to book is now I would think.  Of course this time of year NNE could be clouded over too)

By the way you want to try to be on the centerline for the longest and darkest eclipse.  

Eclipse.jpg

Centerline goes right over Jackman, pop <800.  Might be a bit more crowded there for this event.  Given that the most recent 4-5 lunar eclipses have been cloud-spoiled here and typical early spring wx, I try not to get too excited.

Probably twice that for Maine - only a quarter the population but 6 times the area (though the land between Moosehead Lake and Allagash Village won't cost much).  At $6 million/mile our 2000-foot gravel road with 3 customers would take more than $2 million.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it’s not cost effective to do that to existing above ground lines. Better off doing vegetation management. I’ve seen a lot of that lately.

Yes and no.  Iong term infrastructure can be put in place when its integrated with maintenance and replacement of existing systems. 

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Eclipse.jpg

I went to SC for the last total eclipse. It is a truly extraordinary and awe inspiring event. I will drop everything to see the next one in 2024. 

VxapZCl.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Eclipse.jpg

I’m already planning on seeing this. Leave getting submitted as soon as I can. 

8 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yes but it may reduce your outages because it’s never happening on your local lines. And I bet you get power back online a fraction faster when the electric company can focus on the main lines coming in, instead of the smaller lines in your neighborhood.

Being locally underground doesn’t mean zero outages, but every possible reduction of a line that could get hit by a falling tree is better for everyone in the larger picture.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yes but it may reduce your outages because it’s never happening on your local lines. And I bet you get power back online a fraction faster when the electric company can focus on the main lines coming in, instead of the smaller lines in your neighborhood.

Being locally underground doesn’t mean zero outages, but every possible reduction of a line that could get hit by a falling tree is better for everyone in the larger picture.

In the Halloween storm with all the trees snapping we didn't lose power until the very end when a pine tree branch across the street from my house fell on the wires and knocked 5 of us out, just the homes on my dead-end street, we were among the last to get power back since it was only 5 homes.

• Like 1