Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Winter 2022-2023 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, Hoth said:

If I miraculously pull off a 3 footer next week and suddenly find myself at climo snowfall, what grade is fair for the winter? I’m still inclined to fail it for the dumpster fire to date, but others may feel differently. 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Everyone's grading system is their own. But I'd forgive a lot of sins if we got a 30"+ snowstorm....even in a winter like this. I wouldn't give it a good grade, but I'd prob elevate it to like a C or C-.

I don’t want to clog up the other thread.

A winter like this imby—probably the worst on record with historic warmth and an unprecedented lack of snowfall this late is about as irredeemable as it gets. 

The ONLY ways to get anything other than an F:

1) A Mount Rushmore storm, so in my case something that tops 1888, 1978, 2011, or 2013.

2) Seasonal climo in a month, so a 40-50” month.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don’t want to clog up the other thread.

A winter like this imby—probably the worst on record with historic warmth and an unprecedented lack of snowfall this late is about as irredeemable as it gets. 

The ONLY ways to get anything other than an F:

1) A Mount Rushmore storm, so in my case something that tops 1888, 1978, 2011, or 2013.

2) Seasonal climo in a month, so a 40-50” month.

So it would still be an F if you got, say, 17 inches in the Feb 28th storm and then just a few scraps in March? 

I guess the rest of the season was bad enough to maybe warrant such a grade but 17 inches is a big storm…esp for the CT river valley. 

I would like to winter of winter in two ways

1) Seasonal snowfall accumulation.

2) How many accumulating snowfall events (with a subset of events greater than specific amounts). 

But then it's also really too each their own.

Someone who got say 50'' (which is about their average) but 35'' came from two storms may call it a solid winter while someone who got 50'' (about their average) but it was spread out between about 7-8 storms is a solid winter. 

40 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

So it would still be an F if you got, say, 17 inches in the Feb 28th storm and then just a few scraps in March? 

I guess the rest of the season was bad enough to maybe warrant such a grade but 17 inches is a big storm…esp for the CT river valley. 

17 would be huge, but subjectively I couldn’t have that disproportionately weigh against the entirety of the season, which has been historically bad objectively to date.

That’d still put me at 23” on the season, which is still extraordinarily bad. 2019-20 was 15.6” total here.

Lets say in reality I get a 6” warning event next week…I’ll be at 12” going into March. I was at that by the end of December 2019.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

How much would raise the grade if we got another April 1, 1997 maybe in 2-3 weeks not necessarily in April. I'm at an F I think I would raise it to a C.

18 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

How much would raise the grade if we got another April 1, 1997 maybe in 2-3 weeks not necessarily in April. I'm at an F I think I would raise it to a C.

That’s an all-timer type storm. Top 5. Hard to be too disappointed in a winter that produces a top 5 storm…regardless of the rest of it. At least my own personal grade would be at least a C. I prob couldn’t go much higher because I do enjoy having snowpack for a chunk of the winter and snow around the holidays…both of which were an utter dumpster fire this year. 

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That’s an all-timer type storm. Top 5. Hard to be too disappointed in a winter that produces a top 5 storm…regardless of the rest of it. At least my own personal grade would be at least a C. I prob couldn’t go much higher because I do enjoy having snowpack for a chunk of the winter and snow around the holidays…both of which were an utter dumpster fire this year. 

All timers would definitely change the subjective grade. Just not sure any of that is walking through the door.

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I’m sitting at 8 inches even for the season with no more than 2.5 in any one event. To me this season is an obvious F so far, and if I have another another March 2018 and first week April where I received 50 inches it can’t make up for the worst late November through end of February I’ve ever experienced. Even another March 2018 makes this a D+.

You can never make up for losing the holidays, the lowest Sun angle month and the entire month of January and February and record warmth both months. March 1888 can’t rectify what we’ve already endured, but that might come close.

It wouldn’t matter if we got another Feb 2013 up in here…..it’s still a ratter…..and F….who gives a shit about 30” in one storm when it’s not building for the future or adding to pack already on the ground like what should have been happening since December…..total joke….I won’t even shovel what we get next week…..RAT OF ALL RATTERS…..man

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Lol anger. 

I’ve never had a 30” storm so yea an event that may never happen again in my lifetime, if I stay in this local, gets an automatic A for the season. It’s an easy grade flipper for me.

Seasons in seasons......nobody enjoys waiting until March for snow that should have already been falling back in December......thats literally 6 weeks too late and for that reason I'm out.....F

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Lol anger. 

I’ve never had a 30” storm so yea an event that may never happen again in my lifetime, if I stay in this local, gets an automatic A for the season. It’s an easy grade flipper for me.

My winter grades include temp and snow, with the latter double-weighted, plus some subjective (of course!) for things like retention.  Assuming no accumulation between now and tomorrow evening, snowfall to date is precisely on the average, thus a C grade.  However, the 22" dump in Dec is the 3rd biggest snowfall in our 25 years here and 5th place for all 50 years since moving to Maine, so that moves the snowfall grade to B.  A 30" dump would make it an A even if there wasn't another flake this season.  (That would make for a 107% snow season, which normally would rate only a C+.)  The temp grade right now is F - DJM will eclipse 15-16 for warmest - but may go up a tick thanks to the frigid howler 3 weeks ago.  Pack is running slightly AN so far and having a bit (1") of cover while the snow-loving grandkids were here over Thanksgiving is another plus.  I think they've seen about 10 flakes this winter in SNJ, if that much.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ice1972 said:

Seasons in seasons......nobody enjoys waiting until March for snow that should have already been falling back in December......thats literally 6 weeks too late and for that reason I'm out.....F

Ya you don’t have futility for met winter and get a passing grade no matter what falls after that from me , but I mean it’s grading a season , everyone has their own methods and honestly *nobody cares what anyone grades a season other then themselves *

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1