Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Winter 2022-2023 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

I bought a couple of these vintage shaded relief maps and they are pretty awesome. They are just flat paper 2d printed but look 3d when framed. Only $65 for a 24 x 36 and they have other states and maps available.

https://eastofnowhere.co/

Connecticut_1893_blackframe_1080x.jpg

NewHampshire_1888_blackframe.jpg

These are awesome.  I am a huge fan of all kinds of maps, and I would definitely have a place for these.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I read about the Sayreville councilwomen who was shot dead in her car, but they had no leads at the time. Not much information has been shared but neighbors reported seeing someone fleeing the scene, scale up a wall, and run towards the GSP…which to me seems like there was a getaway car there. 

I have not read about the other council member murder yet…

The perp was a co-worker with the council member, and later took his own life.

54 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

These are awesome.  I am a huge fan of all kinds of maps, and I would definitely have a place for these.

I honestly don't know the person who makes them but everyone who has received one as a gift loved it. Someone originally gave me one and thats how I found about them. The ones of Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire are really good. 

Read up on the website about them. The vintage ones of New England are cool as they are based on early 19th century USGS surveys. 

You really have to get the bigger 24 x 36 to get the full effect. It's only $65 shipped. 

They also have some local ones like this one of Lake Winnipesaukee from 1906.

https://eastofnowhere.co/products/lake-winnipesaukee-nh-vintage-relief-map-1909

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Whineminster said:

@HoarfrostHubb @subdude Dunn Pond today, even after all that heat. One thing I enjoy moving out here from metrowest.... consistent ice even in the worst winter. 

PXL_20230210_214923640_PNlkUJfC8o.jpeg

Back in the 196s, the small NNJ lake where I usually went ice fishing always had safe ice for the Jan 1 thru mid-Feb ice fishing season, except for 1965 when post-Christmas 60s took out what had been 4-5".  Refroze a week later.  This year the red ball flag, sign of safe ice as determined by knowledgeable lake association members who tested thoroughly, has not been hoisted at all.  I don't think it's the first such winter that happened.
I'm planning to visit Flying Pond (on the Vienna/Mt Vernon line) on Monday, and expect to find ice thickness of 12-15".  Most winters it would be 20"+ by now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tamarack said:

Back in the 196s, the small NNJ lake where I usually went ice fishing always had safe ice for the Jan 1 thru mid-Feb ice fishing season, except for 1965 when post-Christmas 60s took out what had been 4-5".  Refroze a week later.  This year the red ball flag, sign of safe ice as determined by knowledgeable lake association members who tested thoroughly, has not been hoisted at all.  I don't think it's the first such winter that happened.
I'm planning to visit Flying Pond (on the Vienna/Mt Vernon line) on Monday, and expect to find ice thickness of 12-15".  Most winters it would be 20"+ by now.

Seems the last 20 years it's been 50-50, I remember back when I was in the kid late 60's - 70s don't remember ever skipping a year. Maybe we did and I don't remember but I remember some years the ice was on 10-12 and some years over 2 feet.

10 hours ago, tamarack said:

I remember the red ball on ponds-is that just a NNJ thing?  We used to go to Tokaloka Pond off of the Hackensack River in a part that was not yet badly polluted back in the late 50s.  'We'd play hockey all day on the pond.  During those years there was always good late March snow often with open water so we'd play in the snow in the woods all day.  Kids today don't seem to do that anymore-and they don't realize what they're missing.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2023 at 10:07 PM, HoarfrostHubb said:

If anyone is looking for something good to watch, try “The Rescue”(2021) on Disney+.  It is a documentary about the rescue of those soccer kids who were trapped in a cave in Thailand in 2018.  Amazing bravery. 

Thanks for reminding me about this! I've been meaning to watch. Can't wait for next year, we're planning a trip to Thailand November '24. Torch and the Pope would love it there... High heat and dews pretty much all the time :lol:

• Like 1

Anyone have any reviews on Montréal? My brother and his fiancé want a jack and Jill type bachelor/bachelorette thing and they said they’ve Lways wanted to go there.

Worth it? Would be in august.

if the answer to question one is yes, my next question is, will I need to back of the brinks truck to pay for it?

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone have any reviews on Montréal? My brother and his fiancé want a jack and Jill type bachelor/bachelorette thing and they said they’ve Lways wanted to go there.

if the answer to question one is yes, my next question is, will I need to back of the brinks truck to pay for it?

Definitely worth it. Great city with lots to do. Great food. It can be expensive though. Lots of nightlife, though Rue Ste. Catherine is much tamer now. 

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Exchange rate is in your favor so that helps

And yeah, it's pretty awesome.  Having spent a little time there working with McGill years ago (07/08 winter, luckily enough) a few things I'd recommend would be a walk and maybe dinner in the old city (le vieux Montreal), montreal syle bagels (st viateur is a good one), and a trip to Notre Dame basilica.

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Exchange rate is in your favor so that helps

And yeah, it's pretty awesome.  Having spent a little time there working with McGill years ago (07/08 winter, luckily enough) a few things I'd recommend would be a walk and maybe dinner in the old city (le vieux Montreal), montreal syle bagels (st viateur is a good one), and a trip to Notre Dame basilica.

Smoked meat at Dunn’s and poutine somewhere too. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yep. The whole floor was moving. Thought it would collapse. It also didn’t help we were yelling Bruins in the local’s faces and almost started a street fight. :lol: 

Some of the biggest assholes I've ever encountered were Bruins fans in Montreal.  Made me embarrassed to be from the same country.

• Weenie 1