Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
New England Met Winter 2022-2023 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

One for the humans.

I lobbed ChatGPT an easy one curious how it would do:

Explain the dendritic growth zone in snow growth

The dendritic growth zone (DGZ) is a layer in the snowpack where dendritic crystals form. Dendrites are a type of snow crystal that have a branching, fern-like shape. They form in the lower part of the snowpack, near the ground, when the snow is subjected to temperature gradients and metamorphism. The DGZ is typically located between the new snow and old snow layers and is characterized by small, dense crystals that are less likely to cause avalanches than depth hoar crystals. The DGZ is important for understanding the physical and mechanical properties of the snowpack, such as its strength and deformation. The formation and persistence of the DGZ in the snowpack is controlled by factors such as snow depth, temperature gradients, and the presence of liquid water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got a wrong number text earlier this evening. Got a "Hi"  and when I didn't respond, I got a "Hiiiiiii" and then a picture of 2 young ladies at a bar. So, I sent back a picture of my 3 guinea pigs with "Hi".

She then asked their names and asked for a video of the piggies so I obliged.

She said she texted the wrong number, but she liked my piggies and that I was a good human.

I responded that if she ever wanted another pic, feel free to text.

She and her friend seem like nice humans. It was fun wrong number text.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 1/22/2023 at 11:11 PM, #NoPoles said:

Got a wrong number text earlier this evening. Got a "Hi"  and when I didn't respond, I got a "Hiiiiiii" and then a picture of 2 young ladies at a bar. So, I sent back a picture of my 3 guinea pigs with "Hi".

She then asked their names and asked for a video of the piggies so I obliged.

She said she texted the wrong number, but she liked my piggies and that I was a good human.

I responded that if she ever wanted another pic, feel free to text.

She and her friend seem like nice humans. It was fun wrong number text.

What did they look like?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The blue lights are for a Weymouth police officer shot and killed LOD back in 2018. They dedicated this new bridge in his name. This bridge connects Weymouth and Quincy.

Ah ha, that explains it, a lot of bridges are now being outfitted with led lighting able to change colors etc, special occasions  etc, thoughts for the fallen officer.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Very sad. Killed with his own service weapon. 

Scott, Maybe not the thread for this, but what is wrong with people? After I was done snow removal, watching some news, more mass killings, More today out west I think? My hat off to men and women that WANT to be come police officers in todays world, this story can go on, and on, real sad society

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 512high said:

Scott, Maybe not the thread for this, but what is wrong with people? After I was done snow removal, watching some news, more mass killings, More today out west I think? My hat off to men and women that WANT to be come police officers in todays world, this story can go on, and on, real sad society

When you find out, let me know lol. It's sickening.

• Like 1

Anyone have an explanation for this heating system problem:

We have an oil fired boiler

Power was out for about 20 hours. Got to around 52F inside the house

When the power came back on, the heating system came on

A little bit later (within an hour) a pipe in the back of the system started discharging water.  It is warm/hot water. About a gallon, 1.5 gallons per hour

Expansion tank?  

24 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A little bit later (within an hour) a pipe in the back of the system started discharging water.  It is warm/hot water. About a gallon, 1.5 gallons per hour

Expansion tank?  

Is it a pipe coming out from the back of the furnace? 

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It was put in on 1996/97.  
it has been pretty reliable but getting up there

Is it  a discharge pipe? (Where water is coming out from) it “maybe” a pressure relief valve , not a big money item nor is an expansion tank. When power came back on possibly heating system working pressure relief valve can get sticky not closing etc, or bladder in tank has failed. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 512high said:

Is it  a discharge pipe? (Where water is coming out from) it “maybe” a pressure relief valve , not a big money item nor is an expansion tank. When power came back on possibly heating system working pressure relief valve can get sticky not closing etc, or bladder in tank has failed. 

Actually I think I had that same issue years ago. And yea I think it was the bladder issue in the tank. It was a very slow drip though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Expansion tank?  

Relief valve get tripped for some reason?

• Like 1