Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Winter 2022-2023 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 minute ago, QCD17 said:

I read into it some more and I guess it has to do with whether it's a bonded neutral or floating neutral.  My Generac XT8000E appears to be a bonded neutral, as far as I can tell.  But then it also depends on if the panel is a bonded neutral?  If they are both bonded neutral then it says you need the rod so that in the event of a faulty appliance, the power isn't sent back to the genny, making the frame live. If both are neutral bonded, you also have the risk of parallel power, where the fault from an appliance goes back to the neutral and ground on the panel but then also back to the neutral/ground on genny, and the ground isn't meant to handle continues power, so it could cause wire failure.  But I'm hoping our electrician set up the transfer switch to separate the neutral/ground bond when it's being fed by the genny.  Here is the article I found that really spelled it out nicely.  https://homebatterybank.com/do-i-need-to-ground-a-generator-simply-explained/

Yes. And your main panel should ALWAYS have neutral and ground bonded

For my birthday in Feb, I’m trying to plan a predominantly hiking focused trip to New England / NNE. My wife and I are experienced winter hikers though we haven’t done much in the northeast US and am hoping to get out there and see some beautiful sights. 

I’m interested in locations around Mass, NH, or Vermont (Maine might be just a bit too far for our purposes right now) and I’m interesting in some recommendations for places to go focused on hiking. I gather this time of year the majority of mountain locales are geared toward skiing and snowboarding, which neither of us do anymore (used to Snowboard, unfortunately have had severe back injuries that took that from me). So I’m really unsure of what places would be ideal for hiking at this time of year. 

I’m totally open to any recommendations of any kind, my only ask is nice and broad; general “outdoors” :D. We do prefer day hikes to camping and would also love any cool towns to visit to stay, eat, and drink. We’re very well prepared for the cold and have suitable gear / clothing. 

Greatly appreciate any suggestions!

17 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

For my birthday in Feb, I’m trying to plan a predominantly hiking focused trip to New England / NNE. My wife and I are experienced winter hikers though we haven’t done much in the northeast US and am hoping to get out there and see some beautiful sights. 

I’m interested in locations around Mass, NH, or Vermont (Maine might be just a bit too far for our purposes right now) and I’m interesting in some recommendations for places to go focused on hiking. I gather this time of year the majority of mountain locales are geared toward skiing and snowboarding, which neither of us do anymore (used to Snowboard, unfortunately have had severe back injuries that took that from me). So I’m really unsure of what places would be ideal for hiking at this time of year. 

I’m totally open to any recommendations of any kind, my only ask is nice and broad; general “outdoors” :D. We do prefer day hikes to camping and would also love any cool towns to visit to stay, eat, and drink. We’re very well prepared for the cold and have suitable gear / clothing. 

Greatly appreciate any suggestions!

There are a ton ton of amazing hikes here between Mt Washington and Franconia Notch, but please do be careful and really consider your experience level. Another hike died this week - second in a month. Winter hiking is serious business!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There are a ton ton of amazing hikes here between Mt Washington and Franconia Notch, but please do be careful and really consider your experience level. Another hike died this week - second in a month. Winter hiking is serious business!
Regarding that hiker, unlike the woman not long ago that was supposed to be experienced, this latest incident just reeks of really poor decision making right from the start. I'm sorry the man died, but beginning an 8mi winter hike at 0F at 11am, not returning until after dark lacks common sense.Maybe there are other details not released in the media, but this was piss poor judgement.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Regarding that hiker, unlike the woman not long ago that was supposed to be experienced, this latest incident just reeks of really poor decision making right from the start. I'm sorry the man died, but beginning an 8mi winter hike at 0F at 11am, not returning until after dark lacks common sense.Maybe there are other details not released in the media, but this was piss poor judgement.

Eek didn't realized that. Haven't heard much detail about it. 

7 minutes ago, alex said:

Eek didn't realized that. Haven't heard much detail about it. 

Yeah and his family let him go even though they knew he was inexperienced, probably tried to talk him out of it, but either way must feel terrible. 

@Volcanic Winterhigher summits forecast from the Mt Washington observatory is a good reference. 

On 12/28/2022 at 3:39 PM, Lava Rock said:

That was the first reaction I had upon hearing the news, can't be starting long hikes in the winter that late in the day. 

• Like 2

So some of you may do this ( if you're not actually mets for a vocation), gathering archive data from your local station and doing plots, avg, temps, snow etc... I just got done plotting the seasonal snowfall for my area from 1897 (farthest I could get), to present and noticed an interesting anomaly, all three top seasons occurred exactly 40 years apart, 35-36, 55-56, and 95-96, with 55-56 being the top at177+"... so I assume 2035-36 will be an interesting winter... that said I'm working now on temps both for calendar year and seasonal, as well as total precip, nice little hobby in spare time.

• Like 1

Kind of a paltry SNE year so far I can see from afar.

Of note… Today Reno NV and surrounding area is receiving quite a dump with a colder than average atmospheric river type storm which has no trouble getting over the Sierra crest. The snowfall has started getting lighter this past hour, but Reno proper has received some 6 to 12 inches of snow in town so far and may get a few more inches before it’s done.

No snow here ever. But we still have thunderstorm season to look forward to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Next time you make fun of Metfan. Hope he wasn't at this location last night.

Good morning Ginx and a blessed new year to you and every one. I believe the fun at Anthony’s expense is not malicious. I also believe your statement is well placed and should not be forgotten. As always …

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Next time you make fun of Metfan. Hope he wasn't at this location last night.

Actually I was ( I was posted 2 blocks away )

I worked there for 24 hours doing the detail. I ended up going to the hospital with my supervisor because he got hurt going to the cop stabbed.

It was an insane night

• Like 5

On 12/31/2022 at 4:26 PM, tavwtby said:

So some of you may do this ( if you're not actually mets for a vocation), gathering archive data from your local station and doing plots, avg, temps, snow etc... I just got done plotting the seasonal snowfall for my area from 1897 (farthest I could get), to present and noticed an interesting anomaly, all three top seasons occurred exactly 40 years apart, 35-36, 55-56, and 95-96, with 55-56 being the top at177+"... so I assume 2035-36 will be an interesting winter... that said I'm working now on temps both for calendar year and seasonal, as well as total precip, nice little hobby in spare time.

Digging into long-term records has been one of my hobbyhorses.  However, some of my favorite sites seem to be going offline, very disappointing.  Here are some from my area:

Site           Start of obs       Last records
Bridgton   Nov. 1, 1893       March 2019
Lewiston  Jan. 1, 1893       Temp 11/02, All data 5/10
Gardiner   Sept. 1, 1886      May 2021    This is the only Maine record for March 1888 that I've found, with an 8" paste dump on 3/12.  (ASH had 28")

The site I've mined most deeply, Farmington, has but 11 months missing from Jan 1893 on, and only one (March 1970) since 1909.  However, the obs were "M" for Oct. 16-30 and no reports yet for Nov/Dec.  Maybe Oceanstwx or others at GYX know if that site is cooked.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Digging into long-term records has been one of my hobbyhorses.  However, some of my favorite sites seem to be going offline, very disappointing.  Here are some from my area:

Site           Start of obs       Last records
Bridgton   Nov. 1, 1893       March 2019
Lewiston  Jan. 1, 1893       Temp 11/02, All data 5/10
Gardiner   Sept. 1, 1886      May 2021    This is the only Maine record for March 1888 that I've found, with an 8" paste dump on 3/12.  (ASH had 28")

The site I've mined most deeply, Farmington, has but 11 months missing from Jan 1893 on, and only one (March 1970) since 1909.  However, the obs were "M" for Oct. 16-30 and no reports yet for Nov/Dec.  Maybe Oceanstwx or others at GYX know if that site is cooked.

Are the observation sites going offline because of funding? It’s a shame to see so many good long recording stations stop.